2018 Leaf Gen 2 Winter Tires size

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abc123jchan

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone know if 2018 Nissan Leaf able to fit 15" rims (205/65/15) for winter? I cannot find anything on internet.

Thank you!

According to this website, it should work:

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=205&aspect=60&diameter=16&wheelwidth=6.5&offset=40&width2=205&aspect2=65&wheel_size=15&wheel_width=6-5&offset2=40

However, the wheels/rims will have to have:

- Wheel size of 15" x 6.5" with a 40mm positive offset
- 5 bolts x 114.3mm (4.5") Bolt pattern (aka PCD)
- Hub center bore of 66.1mm

You could also probably use a 7" wide alloy wheel with the same specs.

No idea, sorry. With a 40mm offset on a 16" wheel, there's no problem. But a 15" wheel seems like a not so great idea. If it was me, I would just purchase some 16" steel wheels and slap the winter tires on those. Steel wheels are inexpensive...

I would not go for 15", Usually I would downsize 1" from 17", so I would go for 16". Both 215/55R16 and 205/60R16 will work very well but 215/55 is $20-30 more than 205/60 per tire. Take a look at this video.. that's for 2018 Leaf, looks good! Hope it helps.

https://youtu.be/abbDGR60NsE

I have a 1st generation 2017 SL and just upgraded for 215/55/R17 because the original 215/50/R17 were little thin that damage the wheel bearing often. I have noticed that the 215/55/R17 is quieter than the 215/50/R17 due to the extra 3/4" tire thickness I have gained that add more cushion. I recommend to all leaf owners to do so. Plus, you will gain 3 miles more range because of the thicker tire.

I picked up my 2019 this week. The night it was delivered I put on the 17" snow tires/wheels that I had used on my 2015 Leaf. They fit just fine. I don't see how you could fit a smaller wheel.

HRTKD said:
I picked up my 2019 this week. The night it was delivered I put on the 17" snow tires/wheels that I had used on my 2015 Leaf. They fit just fine. I don't see how you could fit a smaller wheel.

The S and older SV Leafs use 16" wheels that will fit. The SV wheels are alloy.

LeftieBiker said:
The S and older SV Leafs use 16" wheels that will fit. The SV wheels are alloy.

I don't know why I typed 17". I knew they were 16" since I was just at Discount Tire today to get the TPMS reset. Thanks for the keeping me honest. :)

Anybody know if the 205/65/16 will fit? I would like to get some to slow down the speedo some and get a little more ground clearance. It would also help with using less electricity at high speeds right?

coloradoman said:
Anybody know if the 205/65/16 will fit? I would like to get some to slow down the speedo some and get a little more ground clearance. It would also help with using less electricity at high speeds right?

That's too tall of a tire. Overall diameter would be 5.8% larger than OEM. It's recommended to stay within 3% and I personally try to keep it less than that. A 215/60/16 would be a better option for you. I went with 215/55/16 because it's closer to OEM size.

Hi everyone, I'm just getting around to shopping for winter tires. I've never done this before - my whole life, I've driven fwd Honda sedans with all season tires. I have a 2019 Leaf SV now. I live in the NYC area, which has had pretty mild winters in recent years, but we have had a handful of nasty storms lately, and my wife has a 50 miles round trip commute in the Leaf, much of it through hilly terrain (I take the train to work). I was thinking of getting 16" winter tires and rims. I checked on Tire Rack - I put in 2017 Leaf S, since they don't have the 2018-2019 on their site yet, and since I want 16" not 17" tires and rims. Can anyone check this though and tell me if this is correct?

Tires
MICHELIN
X-ICE XI3
205/55R16
Style: Blackwall
Load Range: XL
Serv. Desc: 94H

Wheels
TYPE 85
16x6.5
Finish: Gloss Black Painted
QtyPrice EachItem(s) TotalFor 2017 Nissan Leaf S

More details on the wheels:

Size:16x6.5
Offset:+45mm
Backspacing:5.511"
Bolt Pattern:5-114
Rec. Tire Size:205/55-16
Weight:16.9 lbs.
Finish:Gloss Black Painted
Construction:Not Available
Finish Warranty:2 Year
Manufacturer Part #:W19243554IC5
Manufactured in:Indonesia

Also, do I really have to get some TPMS installed in the winter tires? Do the TPMS lights really flash at you all winter if you don't do this? What's the fastest/cheapest way to make this problem go away?

do I really have to get some TPMS installed in the winter tires? Do the TPMS lights really flash at you all winter if you don't do this? What's the fastest/cheapest way to make this problem go away?

No, yes, and black tape on the dash display.

Agree with "black tape" although I can tell you that after a short while you stop noticing the little lights, and the flashing DOES stop..... I sort of like that little "!" now......

Although you may have the winter tires on for a shorter period of time than the summer tires(although in my state it could almost be 50/50 :( ) I personally would rather have the TPMS on the winter set vs summer set for a couple of reasons. One, in cold winter you tend to lose air more than hot summers and two, it's more a PIA to check tire pressures the manual way when it's single digits or below zero, it sucks!
This is my first winter driving with real snow tires(Michelin X-ICE3) and it's worlds better than the previous A/S tires I've used, my Leaf went from a fair ice/snow vehicle(the worst of the vehicles I have) to the best. Personally I'm just going to pony up the money to swap the tires off the rims twice/year. While more expensive now, my next set of snows will be purchased at Costco where they offer a $40 all 4 tires swap/balance special, cheaper than anywhere else I found including the $60 I was quoted where I purchased my current snows.

Although you may have the winter tires on for a shorter period of time than the summer tires(although in my state it could almost be 50/50 :( ) I personally would rather have the TPMS on the winter set vs summer set for a couple of reasons. One, in cold winter you tend to lose air more than hot summers and two, it's more a PIA to check tire pressures the manual way when it's single digits or below zero, it sucks!

A very good point.

All good points. Thanks, folks.

Last question: if I have snow tires and rims put on at a local tire shop, what do I need to say/do to make sure they lift the Leaf properly? Isn't it possible to damage an EV if it's lifted incorrectly?

The shop I went to simply jacked the Leaf on one side with a jack meant for fitting the lip under the rocker panels and did 2 tires(both on the same side) at a time, I don't think the Leaf is special in this regard. Of course you wouldn't want them jacking the car from under the vehicle floorboard area but even with an ICE vehicle, you wouldn't want to do that. I personally like to place my jack under the shock tower area but then need 2 jacks if rotating, one floor jack under each tire.

Back