NeilBlanchard
Delivery Date: 14 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 306278

Re: Denial...was CC- What do we know, when did we know it?

Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:33 am

The data continues to surprise - in that we have seen more melting much sooner than we thought. We have seen more ocean rise quicker and sooner than we thought, recently. We have seen more melting "permafrost" that we thought. We have set a record warm year - several years in a row.

The deniers have their opinions - and science has data.

downeykp
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 31 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1931

Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:09 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:The data continues to surprise - in that we have seen more melting much sooner than we thought. We have seen more ocean rise quicker and sooner than we thought, recently. We have seen more melting "permafrost" that we thought. We have set a record warm year - several years in a row.

The deniers have their opinions - and science has data.
Agreed. Since when do scientists know anything.
2011 Black Leaf SL+QC Vin. 1931
Res. 6-14-10 Order 1-25-11
EVSE: Mod'd Ver. 2 Nissan L1
Delivered 5-31-11

8 years 33000mi. 7 bars

39 Suniva panels 10.3kw with Enphase micro inverters my electricity cost $26 a month.

GRA

Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:01 pm

Resurrecting an old topic, to recommend a book:
Brave New Arctic: The Untold Story of the Melting North
https://www.amazon.com/Brave-New-Arctic ... 0691173990

The author is the head of the National Snow and Ice Data Center at the University of Colorado-Boulder, and has been involved in arctic research since the early '80s. Some reviews: "[A] fascinating book about how researchers came to understand Arctic warming and its causes. . . . As he documents this process, Serreze doesn’t shy away from the failures of the Arctic research community, including his own. Particularly interesting are the mea culpas from Serreze and fellow scientists who chased scientific red herrings or, deafened by the din of natural climate variability, misread the data. The Arctic, Serreze writes, ‘tells no lies.’ But its truth can be hard to discern."---Ashley Shelby, New York Times Book Review

"[Serreze] has also written a farewell to ice. In Brave New Arctic, he relates that when he first started out in polar research, in the early eighties, he was taken with the idea of global cooling. ‘Deep down I was hoping for an ice age,’ he confesses. . . . Years passed, the ice continued to melt, and Serreze came to favor fire. ‘The weight of evidence turned me,’ he observes. ‘And then I turned hard.’ He gives the perennial sea ice until 2030 or so. ‘That the Arctic Ocean will become free of sea ice in late summer and early autumn is a given,’ he writes."---Elizabeth Kolbert, New Yorker

"[Brave New Arctic] delves into the recent history of Arctic research, following a trail of scientific breadcrumbs from the late 1970s to the present day to show how our understanding of the region’s response to climate and climate change has evolved over time. . . . Serreze succeeds on one important front: humanizing Arctic science. He tells anecdotes about his research and the people he’s worked with. He portrays scientists whose work he discusses as regular people." (Science)
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “Politics & Other Controversial Topics”