derkraut
Delivery Date: 14 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 004248

Re: Ferguson Police Use Tear Gas on Media

Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:39 pm

AndyH wrote:Protests occurred today on various sections of interstate highways. The plan was to bring roads to a stop at about 4:30pm and stop traffic for 4 and a half minutes to commemorate/protest Mike Brown's body being left on the road for more than 4 hours.

There's footage from the St Louis area in this Argus live-stream (I270), and reports that I-75 was blocked in Georgia. Argus has called for video from all protests around the country so they can compile a video of all protests.

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/9035 ... s/60951734
There you go again....Let's arbitrarily break the law and Inconvenience a whole bunch of innocent people who had nothing whatsoever to do with the incident in Ferguson, MO. I just don't understand your line of reasoning. Do you really expect this kind of illegal action to make the law-abiding citizens support your cause? What are you trying to accomplish, anyway? Geez! IMHO, people who deliberately block a public highway sholuld be arrested and put in jail. What are you striving for? Anarchy? :( :( :( :( :( :(
Derkraut
Color: Cayenne SLE, ETEC trim
reserved: 5/15/2010
Leaf del. 6/14/2011
New Traction battery installed on 7/28/2017:

AndyH

Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:55 pm

derkraut wrote:
AndyH wrote:Protests occurred today on various sections of interstate highways. The plan was to bring roads to a stop at about 4:30pm and stop traffic for 4 and a half minutes to commemorate/protest Mike Brown's body being left on the road for more than 4 hours.

There's footage from the St Louis area in this Argus live-stream (I270), and reports that I-75 was blocked in Georgia. Argus has called for video from all protests around the country so they can compile a video of all protests.

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/9035 ... s/60951734
There you go again....Let's arbitrarily break the law and Inconvenience a whole bunch of innocent people who had nothing whatsoever to do with the incident in Ferguson, MO. I just don't understand your line of reasoning. Do you really expect this kind of illegal action to make the law-abiding citizens support your cause? What are you trying to accomplish, anyway? Geez! IMHO, people who deliberately block a public highway sholuld be arrested and put in jail. What are you striving for? Anarchy? :( :( :( :( :( :(
One upon a time, derkraut, a group of people wrote laws that were easy for their subjects to accept. Over time, as new laws and restrictions gathered on, the citizens were more controlled and had less liberty. They slowly got a bit upset but were able to keep smiling and waving to each other and just grumbled now and again. More restrictions came until people couldn't stand it any longer. Then a bunch of people dressed up like Native Americans, trespassed onto corporately-owned ships, and tossed a bunch of really expensive private property into the water. Damn them! Who do they think they were? Didn't they respect the law? Why should all the other citizens have to do without their tea - and what were they going to do with all those tannin-stained fish?

Read up on the real Tea Party, derkraut. Then read the ENTIRE Constitution with amendments. And the Declaration of Independence if you've got extra time. Then read this:
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... 08014.html

Then look around at the USA and ask yourself why police are detaining the press, why Amnesty International deployed observers in the USA, and see if you can recall where in the Constitution it said that free speech or the right to peacefully assemble was limited to a specific time or place.

PS - this isn't my movement or my action or my hometown so feel free to check your"you"s and "your"s should we talk further... ;)

PPS - feel free to tell us what law is broken when traffic is stopped on a road. Thanks in advance.

AndyH

Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:59 pm

This thread and the stories are evolving in different directions. One of those is excessive use of force and a 'militarized' police mentality fueled by our overall state of fear. One is racism and inequality and how portions of our population are being farmed to support the others. (HG Well's The Time Machine comes to mind here...). And now, in conjunction with the Bay-area protests and Snowden leaks, we have things like this:

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2014/08/3 ... .html?rh=1
The Tacoma Police Department sent out a press release Wednesday that began: “The Tacoma Police Department has a cell site simulator.”

It was a bold statement given where the department was just two days earlier.

On Monday, Police Chief Don Ramsdell refused to talk to us about the existence of such a device, also known as a Stingray.

The department’s spokeswoman wouldn’t talk either, requiring us to submit questions in writing so the department could be sure it didn’t break its nondisclosure agreement with the federal government in talking about the Stingray.
I've read two similar stories in the past two weeks - one about the release of a 'more secure' version of Android designed to resist being spoofed by false cell towers, and one reporting that equipment appears to be deployed in the US that can force a cell phone to drop from 4G to an earlier and less secure signaling method and then exploit the phone.

Nothing about this feels right...nothing at all.

edit... additional...shows location of some rogue cell towers in US
http://www.wired.com/2014/09/cryptophon ... ll-towers/

Last edited by AndyH on Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:51 pm

AndyH wrote:PPS - feel free to tell us what law is broken when traffic is stopped on a road. Thanks in advance.
Agree with most of what you said, but as far as blocking a road, maybe we can as Chris Christie about the legal ramifications :lol:

Blocking a road is depriving other citizens of their rights of movement, some of whose livelihoods or even lives, may depend on it. Four minutes isn't much, but still... I'd chose a protest that's less antagonistic towards the people I'm hoping to reach out to.

There is SO much wrong on the law enforcement side that it doesn't make sense to muddy the water with ill-conceived actions of this sort. It just gives ammunition to detractors.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

AndyH

Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:54 pm

I appreciate your thoughts, Nubo.
Nubo wrote:
AndyH wrote:PPS - feel free to tell us what law is broken when traffic is stopped on a road. Thanks in advance.
Agree with most of what you said, but as far as blocking a road, maybe we can as Chris Christie about the legal ramifications :lol:
:lol: Fair enough!
Nubo wrote:Blocking a road is depriving other citizens of their rights of movement, some of whose livelihoods or even lives, may depend on it. Four minutes isn't much, but still... I'd chose a protest that's less antagonistic towards the people I'm hoping to reach out to.
As I understand it (from this and from my frantic attempts to examine other protests back to our revolution), disrupting traffic has been found to be a very effective way to get the attention of the greater population. I've not been privy to the planning for these protests, but have read a little bit of the chatter that appeared on Twitter and it appears that the folks er..driving...this protest have been very concerned for personal safety, safety of the public, and for the extent/ramifications of the disruption.
Nubo wrote:There is SO much wrong on the law enforcement side that it doesn't make sense to muddy the water with ill-conceived actions of this sort. It just gives ammunition to detractors.
Considering how poorly the press has 'informed' the public and how powerful prejudice continues to be, I'm not convinced there's any hope for the detractors. It appears this has started a national conversation on how we police, however - I hope that burns brightly.

AndyH

Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:37 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/nat ... story.html
Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. will launch this week a broad civil rights investigation into the Ferguson, Mo., Police Department, according to two federal law enforcement officials.

AndyH

Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:51 pm

http://www.stlamerican.com/news/columni ... f887a.html
The events of the past few weeks in Ferguson and the surrounding St. Louis community have forced us to ask ourselves some tough questions.

Many young African Americans are asking themselves, “How do I feel about my city? And how does my city feel about me?”

Many white St. Louisans – who have long considered themselves “liberal” or “progressive,” yet have been surprised by the unrest they’ve seen on their televisions – are asking themselves, “Why are they so angry?” and “Has this anger been there all the time? And if so, how did I not see it?”

All of us should be asking questions about the role of government and police departments, and the danger that arises when those bodies so grossly do not reflect the populations they are supposed to serve.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2 ... -ferguson/
We have seen heavy police presence in hard gear in American cities before. I recall the riots in Los Angeles, Detroit, and other cities in the 1960s, for example, and the Rodney King riots in Los Angeles in 1992, which among other things involved the deployment of federal troops. Ferguson, however — as well as the deployment of tactical teams in Watertown after the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing — indicates a new level of militarization of police forces that seems to be without precedent. While this may be justifiable and a good approach in some circumstances (a terrorist attack, for example), I think Ferguson shows that if misapplied, it can also lead to an escalation rather than a resolution of civil disturbances.

AndyH

Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:56 pm

https://beta.cironline.org/reports/youn ... gend-show/
When 14-year-old Caitlyn Clark of Benicia, California, was asked to perform with rhythm and blues singer John Legend at his recent Los Angeles show honoring the legacy of Marvin Gaye, she penned a poem inspired by the seminal 1971 album, “What’s Going On.”

But after 18-year-old Michael Brown was shot and killed by a police officer in Ferguson, Missouri, Caitlyn threaded those events with a bit of the late singer’s still-timely lyrics. Tying together the deaths of young, unarmed black men, including Oscar Grant, Trayvon Martin and Brown, she explores the nuances and complexities of seeing such shootings discussed in the news and on social media.

Caitlyn combines vivid imagery – describing how grandmothers “hold sorrow beneath their fingernails” – with stark facts, noting how police in Ferguson responded to largely peaceful protests with more gear than her father carried as a soldier in Afghanistan. You can watch her powerful performance in the video above.

AndyH

Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:49 am

Ferguson citizens try to access city hall - denied...then building closed for the day...

Ferguson police chief lied about why he released video tape when identifying officer that killed Michael Brown. Didn't see that coming... :roll:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/0 ... 73420.html

AndyH

Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:35 am

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/arti ... 22c29.html
Among the claims that ignited the fury over the fatal shooting of Michael Brown were that Ferguson police Officer Darren Wilson chased the unarmed teen on foot, shot at him as he ran away, then fired a barrage of fatal shots after Brown had turned around with his hands up.
Almost all of the witnesses who shared these accounts with media either knew Brown; lived at or near the Canfield Green apartments, where the shooting occurred; or were visiting friends or relatives there.

But there were two outsiders who happened to be working outside at the apartment complex on Aug. 9 — two men from a company in Jefferson County — who heard a single gunshot, looked up from their work and witnessed the shooting.
The co-worker in the KTVI interview said he “starting hearing pops and when I look over … I seen somebody staggering and running. And when he finally caught himself he threw his hands up and started screaming, ‘OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK.’”

He said the officer “didn’t say, ‘Get on the ground.’ He didn’t say anything. At first his gun was down and then he … got about 8 to 10 feet away from him … I heard six, seven shots … it seemed like seven. Then he put his gun down. That’s when Michael stumbled forward. I’d say about 25 feet or so and then fell right on his face.”

No witness has ever publicly claimed that Brown charged at Wilson. The worker interviewed by the Post-Dispatch disputed claims by Wilson’s defenders that Brown was running full speed at the officer.

“I don’t know if he was going after him or if he was falling down to die,” he said. “It wasn’t a bull rush.”
"The stupid become extinct."-Bill Mollison
2018 Outlander PHEV
2015 smart Electric Drive (lease ended Feb, 2018)
OpenEVSE Plus DIY

Return to “Politics & Other Controversial Topics”