jackal
Delivery Date: 11 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 001904

Re: Tesla Model S

Fri May 10, 2013 11:13 am

apvbguy wrote:all of y'all who are hung up on CO2 should read this

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... on_LEADTop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I read. It's bogus misinformation. "The cessation of observed global warming for the past decade". Cessation? How can people take this statement seriously when all data points undoubtedly to uptick in global temperatures? wow.
Silver SL with QC
reserved 7/13/10, ordered 1/31/11, delivered 5/26/11
Blink installed 6/14/11
2kW PV w Enphase microinverters
2001 Prius

apvbguy
Delivery Date: 10 Apr 2013

Fri May 10, 2013 11:43 am

jackal wrote:
apvbguy wrote:all of y'all who are hung up on CO2 should read this

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... on_LEADTop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I read. It's bogus misinformation. "The cessation of observed global warming for the past decade". Cessation? How can people take this statement seriously when all data points undoubtedly to uptick in global temperatures? wow.
what is wow is how just a few years ago the enviro types were all concerned over the coming of a new ice age, when the data debunked that nonsense, and they realized that the world temps were actually in a warming trend they are selling these end of world scenarios. just like y2k, or the mayan apocalypse I'll walow in my ignorance and let others do the chicken little thing
WARNING This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm

Smidge204

Fri May 10, 2013 11:55 am

apvbguy wrote: what is wow is how just a few years ago the enviro types were all concerned over the coming of a new ice age

apvbguy
Delivery Date: 10 Apr 2013

Re: In Defense of Carbon Dioxide

Fri May 10, 2013 12:02 pm

in 1970 something john travolta dancing around was all the rage, things and people move on.
WARNING This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm

Smidge204

Fri May 10, 2013 12:14 pm

apvbguy wrote:is anyone seeing a pattern here, denigrate anyone who doesn't share views, plants head in sand when other views are talked about?

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Fri May 10, 2013 12:59 pm

I find it interesting that the believers are absolutely certain they are right, and the deniers are absolutely certain it's all BS. Almost all rely solely on "what they have heard", generally assuming their position based on political orientation, convenience, or because it fits some narrative.

But enough about Benghazi, we were talking about greenhouse gas emissions :lol:

Once a position is established, forget discussion, the opposition is fair game for whatever ridicule and name calling can be mustered. Even what might be a cogent argument is generally presented in the form "Hey dumbass, look at this graph, are you stupid or what?". Or my favorite, go read someone's 500 page book, or research paper, or whatever, that obviously proves this or that is or isn't happening.

That said, it's tough to argue with a picture of a polar bear floating on a chunk of ice; it's apparent time is running out.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Fri May 10, 2013 1:06 pm

BTW, for those who missed this the first time around, http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10484" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is worth watching. I'd only heard of the Heartland Institute in passing on other threads and forums. I hadn't realized how organized the anti-AGW folks were until I watched that Frontline ep.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Fri May 10, 2013 3:00 pm

apvbguy wrote:
timhebb wrote:Adios to this thread ... will the last terrestrial here please turn out the lights?
thanks for your valued opinions and input, be seeing you
I agree with you that timhebb's comments produced a lot of heat and shed no light. I guess in a democracy we have to put up with some bad apples.

Now, back to carbon dioxide:
  • Yes, higher levels of CO2 do encourage plant growth; no rational person would disagree with that. In that sense, the dramatic atmospheric CO2 increase in the past century (about 30% higher) is not likely to lead to "the end of the world".
  • Contrary to what the article states, atmospheric CO2 levels do closely track with mean global temperature. See this graph for the past 125 years or this one for the past 800,000 years.
  • Unfortunately, both higher CO2 levels and higher temperatures cause severe problems for animals, and in particular for humans. Among the problems which humans will need to face are:
    1. An inevitable rise in sea level, because of ice melt, and because warm water expands. "Doomsday" predictions of NYC under water really are not all that impossible. Many scientists are now talking about a rise of 10 to 20 feet within the next century if we don't do anything to curb our CO2 emissions.
    2. Far more extreme weather events. We are already starting to see this.
    3. The central part of the US is likely to become a desert, as it started to do in the Dust Bowl of the 1930's, only much worse, and covering a much larger area. This will obviously result in food shortages.
    4. To combat the heat, we will increase our use of air conditioning, which will increase our energy demands, which will cause us to use even more fossil fuels to generate power, which will pour CO2 into the atmosphere at an even faster rate.
I could go on, but this is enough for now.

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

Stoaty
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871

Fri May 10, 2013 3:20 pm

apvbguy wrote:
timhebb wrote:
apvbguy wrote:... the real truth is that he is not kenyan, he was born on okinawa the product of a prostitute and who knows who...
I guess we know who we're dealing with now, and what planet he's from. Time to close this thread...bye! all terrestrials.
what is it with people like you who when confronted with something they either dislike or don't grasp they demand that it be silenced?
Tim probably has a much lower tolerance for unsubstantiated conspiracy theories and silly nonsense than the general population. Clearly a failing of his. ;)
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

jackal
Delivery Date: 11 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 001904

Fri May 10, 2013 5:06 pm

apvbguy wrote: what is wow is how just a few years ago the enviro types were all concerned over the coming of a new ice age, when the data debunked that nonsense, and they realized that the world temps were actually in a warming trend they are selling these end of world scenarios. just like y2k, or the mayan apocalypse I'll walow in my ignorance and let others do the chicken little thing
Not sure where you get all the GW conspiracy misinformation you mentioned above, but the IPCC started issuing formal scientific reports since 1992. Read their report and see for yourself what a peer-reviewed scientific report looks like. They list all the sources, probabilities and actual empirical data. Not a statement "cessation of CO2 in the last decade" without ANY data or peer-reviewed report to back the statement...and in the same breath recognizing that CO2 is 400 ppm right now. (from 350 at the start of last decade) How can one even find that author credible? (of relevance in the same Wall Street Journal see today's article http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 35386.html)
Silver SL with QC
reserved 7/13/10, ordered 1/31/11, delivered 5/26/11
Blink installed 6/14/11
2kW PV w Enphase microinverters
2001 Prius

Return to “Politics & Other Controversial Topics”