garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Re: New public charging installations in San Diego

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:59 am

AB475 Warning:
From the pictures at ACE Parking (a few posts above) it appears that any Charging spaces in this lot are most likely (or quite possibly) "AB475'd".

If AB475 does apply, your car would be subject to being towed if somebody "accidently" unplugged your car during or after charging, even though you had properly PAID for the PARKING.

If this is the case, you MIGHT consider it TOO RISKY to charge there, and you might want to inform the lot owners (and operators) of the impact of their chosen signage.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius, now for sale
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2018 Tesla Model 3
2014 Tesla S, Model 3 in 2019
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

Randy
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0191

Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:26 am

Just updated the first post with the latest list of charging sites...

walterbays
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:23 pm

Randy wrote:Just updated the first post with the latest list of charging sites...
Thanks Randy.

Do you know how welcome the public is at some of these sites? In particular:

The Grand Del Mar is a gated community, so presumably you could charge if you lived there, were visiting someone there, or were playing golf there.

Do you think Pearson Ford really welcomes Leafs charging there? Do you think Leon would welcome Ford Focus EV's charging at Mossy Nissan? He told me he had a Volt charging there at least once. But there are going to be hundreds of times as many Leafs as Focus' for the next few years.

Do you think Enterprise car rental would welcome non-customers charging there at times when they aren't using the station to charge their own cars?

Randy

Re: Latest List of Public Charging Installations in San Dieg

Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:48 pm

Hi Walter,
fyi, the Grand Del Mar is a luxury hotel in Carmel Valley off 56 (~$400 per night). I haven't been there, so I don't know if the units are located in a pay lot or just available in a self-park free lot.

I left "workplace charging" units off the list, as those are private. But the Blinks listed are supposed to be "public charging" units...

If anyone has any experience to the contrary, I can remove them from the list...

Thanks, Randy

saintyohann
Delivery Date: 14 Sep 2011

Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:45 am

Stopped at the Kohl's in Santee today and their were two new Blink units installed. They were both on, but surrounded by plastic construction fence. I did plug in and charge, but they are not on Blink's map yet.

9412 Mission Gorge Road, Santee, CA

TonyWilliams

Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:30 am

The BMW dealers at both San Diego Kearny Mesa and in Escondido each have one AV EVSE.

Randy

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:10 pm

Added UCSD and Salk Institute locations...

davewill

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:10 pm

Randy wrote:Added UCSD and Salk Institute locations...
I went looking for that UCSD location a couple of nights ago and came up dry (I really needed the charge, too). It's either not where the Blink map says it is, or it's not in a publicly accessible location as the Blink map indicates a spot between two lots that seems to be fenced in.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

ttweed
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1317

Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:57 am

davewill wrote:It's either not where the Blink map says it is, or it's not in a publicly accessible location as the Blink map indicates a spot between two lots that seems to be fenced in.
The Blink map is totally wrong--it shows the charger at the Center for NMR Spectroscopy and Imaging of Proteins in the lower Muir lots between Third (Thurgood Marshall) College and Muir College. The address is shown as 9500 Gilman Dr., which is just the mailing address for the whole university. The actual locations that I have used at UCSD are near the old bookstore (Bldg. 202UC, now Alumni Relations) on Myers Dr., in the loading dock area at the NW corner of the Bldg. (X marks the spot in this map):

and the two out at the Campus Service Complex where Gilman meets Voigt Drive:

They are not really intended for public use, and the spots are often occupied by University vehicles and designated as "Service Yard Parking" only. You might be able to hook up to one, but I would not leave the car for fear of being ticketed by Campus Police for parking violations. No temporary parking permit you can buy allows you to park in those spaces. If you were there when the parking police arrived, you might be able to talk your way out of a ticket by explaining the "emergency nature" of your stopping there, though. I wouldn't use them for any other routine purpose, myself, and I have a lifetime "A" campus parking permit as a "Staff Emeritus." I would use the Torrey Pines Lodge location for routine charging, which is nearby. Ultimately, there will be public charging available at UCSD, but it's not really there yet. The installed chargers are only for the UCSD fleet at this point.
HTH,
TT
Tom Tweed
La Jolla, CA
Plowshare Media
2011 SLe #1317 del. 4/1/11
1st bar lost at 31,953 miles
2nd bar lost at 38,685 miles
3rd bar lost at 50,711 miles
4th bar lost at 59,758 miles after 64 months
Battery replaced at 61,307 miles.

Randy

Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:04 am

Thanks, Tom...I'll back the UCSD unit out of the list for now....

Randy

Return to “Pacific USA”