Quick Charging comes to Southern California

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
In a forward thinking move, Mitsubishi Electric and Mitsubishi Motors North America have partnered to build a solar-powered charging station for electric vehicles at the Mitsubishi Motors corporate headquarters in Cypress, California. This station was unveiled today, and will be available to the general public beginning next week. Initially at least, charging will be free to all-comers and available during regular business hours.

Not only is this charging station the first of it's kind in Cypress, it is the first of it's kind in Southern California, being as it features the first DC Quick Charger in this part of the state. The DC quick charger, manufactured by the Eaton Corporation and featuring the CHAdeMO charging connector, is capable of recharging electric vehicles, like their own Mitsubishi "i", to 80% charged in around 25 minutes. This is an area infrastructure addition that has been hugely anticipated by local electric vehicle owners.

The station also features a 240v "level 2" charger from Eaton, which will charge the "i" in about 6 hours, and then two sets of 120v outlets for slower trickle charging. So, all-in, this station is capable of charging up to 4 vehicles at various rates. All this is powered by 96, 175w Mitsubishi Electric photovoltaic modules, providing 16.8kW maximum power, in an attractive twin-arch canopy design by California Green Design with electrical work by Rogers Electric.

Img_5806.jpg

Img_5807.jpg

Img_5809.jpg

Img_5810.jpg

Img_5811.jpg

would you be so kind as to supply an address with zipcode, or a google map link.
i so love this.

mitsu is so far ahead on this because their car, with its smaller battery, depends on qc.

thankyouOB said:
would you be so kind as to supply an address with zipcode, or a google map link.
i so love this.

6400 Katella Ave. Cypress, CA 90630

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=586&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=mitsubishi+cypress+ca&fb=1&gl=us&hq=mitsubishi&hnear=0x80dd2e92596bf6ef:0xd42cd7add5c15410,Cypress,+CA&ei=MEkWTuGZBYbSsAODlsDnDQ&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&ved=0CAQQtgM

Wahooo!!!! EV's and solar panels, a match made in heaven! Kind of seems like EV's make solar panels "affordable"!!!!

While I am conscious about how I treat the batteries, I have to admit I am really looking forward to the QC up here and may turn out to be willing to eat some capacity if it means we can reduce our reliance on gas sooner ... with a decent QC charging network along the freeway, our need for an ICE would drop to rental status!!!!

People have been dreaming about this stuff for a loooong time! I wish my father had lived to see the day, he is in fact responsible for my obsession with alternative energy. It's so inspiring to see this finally happening!!

G

Woohoo! Do we know what their regular business hours are? Will this be available during daytime hours on the weekend as well?

Able to charge up to four vehicles at once, the station features three types of chargers with different voltages: standard level 1 voltage (110v) will deliver a 100 percent charge in 22 hours on the new Mitsubishi i; level 2 (220v) which can charge the vehicle in six hours; and level 3 CHAdeMO Quick Charger, which can charge to 80 percent battery capacity in 25 minutes.
It bugs me that articles (and press releases) about commercial public chargers focus on the length of time to charge a battery completely on L1 and L2. It doesn't hurt to mention it, but the emphasis should be on the miles gained per hour of plug in. This is the message the consumer needs, otherwise they just think "why would I want to sit there for 20 hours to recharge?"

PERFECT! This station is exactly what I needed! I live in Sunland area of Los Angeles (North East) and have family in Newport Beach, now with this station I can drive the Leaf there and back stopping for a brief quick charge.

I will stop by and use it just so they know people will use it...

-Matt

Electric4Me said:
It bugs me that articles (and press releases) about commercial public chargers focus on the length of time to charge a battery completely on L1 and L2.

Just mention that most cars sit around unused for 23 hours everyday.

I know the reason for the specific location is because thats where Mitsubishi is, but if " the hope is that the Cypress charging station, with its Quick Charge capability, can serve as a gateway charging pad for Mitsubishi i users commuting between Los Angeles and Orange counties." then I think they should have bought a small plot of land near by but right off one of the freeways.

I think its just far enough out of the way (3 1/2 miles from the 605, 3 1/2 miles from the 91 and 2 miles from the 22), also with construction at the 405/22/605 junction for the next 3 years, and Katella not the most free flowing street around, I don't know how practical it'll be as an actual "gateway". I am excited about it and will definitely have to check it out!

hooo yea ... I'm all over it! I was about ready to suggest the group collectively pop for one and install it somewhere in San Juan Capistrano area, so we (and san diego leafers) can travel back and forth between SD and OC. I figure with install, space rental, and purchase price, a big group would have to pay maybe $300 - $500 a piece.

Here's to stickin' it to the Society of Automotive Engineers ! ...

hill said:
hooo yea ... I'm all over it! I was about ready to suggest the group collectively pop for one and install it somewhere in San Juan Capistrano area, so we (and san diego leafers) can travel back and forth between SD and OC. I figure with install, space rental, and purchase price, a big group would have to pay maybe $300 - $500 a piece.

Here's to stickin' it to the Society of Automotive Engineers ! ...

Hey hill, I'm with you there on your idea. I have friends & relatives in San Diego and would love to use the LEAF for those excursions. I'll be definitely in if there's enough OC and SD leafers to do just that!

Back