Update on CEC DCFC Stations in Tehachapi, Mojave, and Inyokern, Calfornia

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulgipe

Linda Urata of Kern COG has issued a report on the status of DCFC stations on Hwy 58, 14, and 395 (Bakersfield, Tehachapi, Mojave, and Inyokern). These stations have been long awaited.

"California Energy Commission GFO-15-603
DC Fast chargers for California’s Interregional Corridors Awarded in 2016
CEC Corridor 7: SR 14 East of Santa Clarita to Inyokern
ChargePoint
Palmdale – Target. 2 DCFC and 1 dual L2; utility construction work is currently being performed
Santa Clarita – Kohls. 2 DCFC and 1 dual L2; site designed and in permitting
Mojave – Denny’s. 4 DCFC and 1 dual L2; site designed and in permitting
Inyokern – Brady’s Mobil/Market. 1 DCFC and 1 dual L2; site designed and in permitting
EV Connect
Palmdale is installed at City Hall
Lancaster is almost ready, on K street 400 yards from the I-14.
Mojave and Inyokern are just starting construction. Mojave is at the Airport main building as is Inyokern. Should be operational by August 1"

Note that EV Connect has been promising the start of construction of the Mojave and Inyokern sites for months.

Paul

"CEC Corridor 8 SR 58 East of Bakersfield to Lenwood
ChargePoint
Bakersfield – Bakersfield Countryside Market and Restaurant. 2 DCFC and 1 dual L2; site designed and in permitting
Tehachapi – Denny’s. 2 DCFC and 1 LS; permits received and now scheduling construction
Mojave – 4 DCFC; site designed and in permitting same as SR 14 site.
Boron – Chevron. This site is not going to be built. There is no three-phase power and the local substation is at capacity. SCE has plans to expand the substation but has no timeline. Equipment allocated for this site will be moved to another one"

Checked inyokern yesterday. No change. Still waiting for SCE / transformer. Going backpacking late next week and I'll check Coso then.

danrjones said:
Checked inyokern yesterday. No change. Still waiting for SCE / transformer. Going backpacking late next week and I'll check Coso then.
Enjoy the backcountry Dan. Without those stations I can't get up the East Side easily. I could spend some time charging in Kernville. Would love to get to Horseshoe Meadow.

Went in to Beck Meadow for three days. Came in from Blackrock again via Jackass Peak route.

Paul

Honestly, I have to use my wife's outback to get there as my leaf certainly can't get up there either. I'm looking forward to being able to hike and backpack without using gas but its just not possible yet.

Those are 3 places to cook your battery, esp. if there's no battery thermal management.

When I think of Mojave of its desert. I'd never heard of Inyokern before but these are current temps (as of 5:12 pm Pacific time) in the 3 towns in the subject line:
90 F
103 F
108 F

Yep I live out here. It was 113 a few minutes ago. Some on here say the newer leaf batteries do fine with heat. I'm not convinced. Certainly they don't do fine trying to repeatedly charge.

Inyokern is on the west side of Indian wells Valley where 14 and 395 come together. Ridgecrest is on the east side of the same valley.

danrjones said:
Yep I live out here. It was 113 a few minutes ago. Some on here say the newer leaf batteries do fine with heat. I'm not convinced. Certainly they don't do fine trying to repeatedly charge.
You'll notice very few people (maybe only one) makes such claims. The rest of us are waiting for data, which unfortunately means we need to wait.

cwerdna said:
danrjones said:
You'll notice very few people (maybe only one) makes such claims. The rest of us are waiting for data, which unfortunately means we need to wait.

I'm always happy to share data. Just posted an update today in the 40 topic.

Did a quick check this weekend at Inyokern. Nothing new to report. I suppose weekly updates get a bit tedious, but then, just when you think it won't happen (Ea Coso), it does! Inyokern looks like an easy one, just a small transformer and done.

paulgipe said:

Plug-share is showing a new station as active in Inyokern, and the phone number is EV Connect's. No review or photos, and it clearly looks like a duplicate of the one we have been watching. Not sure if EV connect did that or if someone else added it not knowing we already had one on plug-share for it.

Ill have to go over and check and see if its up and running.

paulgipe said:
Yes Dan was just going to write you. Please do pay a visit. We'd like to use that station Wednesday. Long time coming. Let's hope it works.

Paul

Well it works. Sort of.

You need the EV connect app. Then I still had to click start in the station screen. Only trouble is that it took me 15 minutes to get the screen visible. It was just a solid black blob when I got there. I think the screen was overheating. Finally could see the buttons to press and it worked, but I literally had to stand blocking the sun and blow on the screen to cool it down. Good luck during the really hot months!

Could not get the level 2 to start even with the App.

Plugshare is also being grumpy and wouldn't seem to let me merge the two sites. Since the new one has availability I decided to use that as the level 3 and leave the old site as the level 2. The level 2s are powered but the app would never let me start.

paulgipe said:
Thanks Dan. We're going by Wednesday and we'll take a look. We'll also try our luck again at Coso. I hope EA isn't holding a grudge. ;)

Paul

If you make it up in the Sierra let me know how closed or restricted it is. I haven't gone anywhere since they locked down for fires. I'm really missing hiking even just day hiking to see fall color would be nice. I usually do Mcgee near Crowley lake but I haven't wanted to drive up there and see a sign saying no hiking. Same with Horseshoe and Onion Valley.

Plus I've been busy adding a second solar system to my house, DIY. That kept me busy planning, buying and now installing. Just finishing up footers and rails.

Dan,

First Inyokern: When the screen is blank use "start" button lower left for CHAdeMO, "stop" (not emergency stop) for CCS. There's a message on the screen to this effect. Of course with the screen blank you can't see this. ;) Early morning it was fine and we charged. It was very slow recognizing my RFID card but it did eventually. My phone was acting up and I couldn't pull up the app so I was just about to test the CC reader.

In the afternoon the screen was blank and burning hot. I plugged in, pressed stop, waved my little RFID card and it worked--and I needed that charge.

Horseshoe Meadows: The road was open, beautiful aspen in at the TH turnout for Little Cottonwood Creek, willows had mostly lost their leaves in the meadow. We found three gentian still blooming! TH to cottonwood pass closed because of active Castle Complex fire. We didn't check TH to cottonwood lakes. Smell of smoke but it was cool with beautiful blue sky. We're glad we went for it. Makes for a long day from Bakersfield. ;)

There were only 5 vehicles in the picnic and backpackers parking areas. We had the place to ourselves. One was a ranger vehicle.

We like the stop in Inyokern, very peaceful though a toilet would have been nice.

Paul

paulgipe said:
Dan,

First Inyokern: When the screen is blank use "start" button lower left for CHAdeMO, "stop" (not emergency stop) for CCS. There's a message on the screen to this effect. Of course with the screen blank you can't see this. ;) Early morning it was fine and we charged. It was very slow recognizing my RFID card but it did eventually. My phone was acting up and I couldn't pull up the app so I was just about to test the CC reader.

In the afternoon the screen was blank and burning hot. I plugged in, pressed stop, waved my little RFID card and it worked--and I needed that charge.

Horseshoe Meadows: The road was open, beautiful aspen in at the TH turnout for Little Cottonwood Creek, willows had mostly lost their leaves in the meadow. We found three gentian still blooming! TH to cottonwood pass closed because of active Castle Complex fire. We didn't check TH to cottonwood lakes. Smell of smoke but it was cool with beautiful blue sky. We're glad we went for it. Makes for a long day from Bakersfield. ;)

There were only 5 vehicles in the picnic and backpackers parking areas. We had the place to ourselves. One was a ranger vehicle.

We like the stop in Inyokern, very peaceful though a toilet would have been nice.

Paul

Aha, ok, good to know. So you do need either a RFID "card" or the app though to start?. I wonder why they didn't make it simpler (if its free) and just make it "plug in, press button, start"? I was thinking someone anonymous should add a shade cover... I'll try the level 2 again sometime just to test and report.

Will probably take a drive up to McGee (Crowley lake area), Rock Creek or one of the canyons out of Bishop or Big Pine this weekend. Won't be able to use my leaf for that, but hopefully next EV I will. I'm adding solar so I'll have the juice for longer range EVs than my 2018 leaf. I miss going up for the fall, because we have still been mid 90s. Always feels like by the time I feel like fall where I live, I've totally missed fall in the mountains.

Back