paulgipe
Delivery Date: 20 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 311200

Re: Update on CalTrans District 9 (Sierra Nevada East Side) DC Fast Charger Program

Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:07 pm

Have a good hike Dan. Need some time to write my piece on backpacking in Golden Trout Wilderness.

Paul
Bakersfield, California
2017 Bolt LT with DCFC, leased 11/09/17
2015 Nissan S with QC, leased, returned
2013 Chevy Volt Premium, used 10/3/16, sold
L2; ClipperCreek HCS-40; Jesla; JDapter Stub
http://www.wind-works.org

danrjones
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019

Re: Update on CalTrans District 9 (Sierra Nevada East Side) DC Fast Charger Program

Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:10 am

I stopped at Coso Junction briefly on my way up to Horseshoe on Sunday. Not surprisingly nothing has changed. I'll be going through there all summer though so I'll keep checking.
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19

danrjones

Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:26 pm

On my way to my dealer and back today in Palmdale I charged at three locations and checked Denny's in Mojave.

Charged at a Honda dealer Chargepoint, a new Chargepoint in Palmdale near Target, and tried the EA in Mojave for the first time. All three charges were quite easy and seamless and worked quickly first time, using the Chargepoint and EA apps. I hate having to have all these Apps but they do seem to work fast and better.

I really like the location of the new Chargepoint in Palmdale at Target and near Best Buy. The EA in Mojave worked greet but is expensive. Biggest problem is my poor little Leaf's battery was getting hot at over 123F, so charging slow. No sign of any work at the Denny's in Mojave. That matches thee recent email which indicated they ere still doing permitting there. Did not check Inyokern as II was tired from thee trip. I will check that tomorrow.

danrjones

Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:38 am

Checked on my way to and back from a backpack trip on Coso Junction EA and a quick look at Brady's - no new work that i could see at Coso junction nor any work yet at Brady's.

Sorry!

paulgipe

Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:19 pm

pathetic is all i can say.

pg
Bakersfield, California

danrjones

Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:13 am

paulgipe wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:19 pm
pathetic is all i can say.

pg
I wouldn't be too surprised if the Inyokern comes online next, maybe long before EA at Coso. Inyokern looks like it just needs one transformer but everything else is in place. EA at Coso has a big open pit and looks to be missing more than just a transformer, and that pit needing conduit and who-knows-what has been there for a year. No idea on the Caltrans Coso site - just as the company said, they only did the prep work and someone else would install the charger, which was still missing. What company has been doing other Caltrans chargers?

paulgipe

Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:57 pm

https://www.envisionsolar.com/

Envision solar has done Camp Roberts and Shandon Caltran's 30-30 single CP 50 kW solar-powered stations. The CP's are downgraded to 30 kW but work. I've used one of the two Camp Roberts stations and it worked great for us allowing us to bypass Paso Robles and drive directly back to Bako.

Paul
Bakersfield, California

danrjones

Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:22 pm

paulgipe wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:57 pm
https://www.envisionsolar.com/

Envision solar has done Camp Roberts and Shandon Caltran's 30-30 single CP 50 kW solar-powered stations. The CP's are downgraded to 30 kW but work. I've used one of the two Camp Roberts stations and it worked great for us allowing us to bypass Paso Robles and drive directly back to Bako.

Paul
Ok, yes, I think I saw those or similar on Eric's you-tube reviews of charge stations. Those are a cool idea. But I think these here are hardwired so it could be any company? I saw no sign of solar at Coso and that would seem unseeded if across the street is an EA.

I'll do a drive by again this weekend of Inyokern. One of these days...

GRA

Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:19 pm

While I haven't been by yet this year, Plugshare reports indicate that the CEC Chargepoint 2 QC site in Groveland hasn't made any progress since last fall either, despite the QC and L2 stalls having been in place since then. They could blame the winter and then Covid for the lack of progress there, but they can't use winter as an excuse along the southern parts of 395. It's damned frustrating to see these sites just sit there when they're so essential.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

danrjones

Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:14 am

GRA wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:19 pm
While I haven't been by yet this year, Plugshare reports indicate that the CEC Chargepoint 2 QC site in Groveland hasn't made any progress since last fall either, despite the QC and L2 stalls having been in place since then. They could blame the winter and then Covid for the lack of progress there, but they can't use winter as an excuse along the southern parts of 395. It's damned frustrating to see these sites just sit there when they're so essential.
I remember last summer it was because of wildfire mitigation, this last winter I don't know, then Covid, now it could be wild fires again.
I find it odd that the same crews that trim trees - wildfire mitigation - would be the ones to install a transformer.

The bottom line is that either they are waiting on physical work by SCE or for the transformers - but I doubt SCE build the transformers themselves?

Inyokern seems to be waiting on a transformer, much like Tehachapi was for awhile. But EA at Coso seems to have a big open pit where conduit still must be done, so that seems like its waiting on more than just a transformer. Caltrans at Coso is waiting for potentially both a transformer but also for the actual charger. The company that did the Caltrans site at Coso told me they don't install the charger and that would happen by someone else at a later date. I'm kind of hoping its charge-point, I'd had the best luck with their sites. The two new sites at Denny's in Mojave are probably stills stuck in permitting as I saw nothing a few weeks ago on a drive by. Guessing the same for Brady's in Inyokern. I also wouldn't be shocked if Brady's turned out to be unsuitable. One of the back-up locations for Inyokern was near the Burger place and Tesla - which to me would actually be the best location anyway, so maybe we will get lucky on that! With all the delay, we have to get lucky eventually....

Return to “Pacific USA”