Atlanta - No Home Charger - Close to Atlantic Station -

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ualwayslose

Hello,

As the title says, I am thinking about leasing Nissan leaf. 30 mile commute to work at least till end of the year. The current client has charging available at work. My main work office is a 10 mile commute but I rarely go in now though that may change in the future after the new year. As far as I know there are no charging stations at that office.

At home, I do not have any chargers, though the condo says they will get some in the future just not soon. I do live close to Atlantic Station and theoretically I could

1) L2 Charge and go workout or hang out with friend who lives there everyday
2) L3 charge for 20 minutes and read a book which I do every day anyways.

Does anyone think this is a good idea? Thoughts?

The biggest advantage to owning an EV (in my eyes) is being able to charge at home or work. It's more convenient than having to stop at a gas station once a week

It sounds like you won't have that advantage. Therefore, you must want an EV for other reasons, and be willing to make additional changes to your lifestyle to accommodate it. I wouldn't bother getting an EV in your situation. But it sounds like you can make it work if you really want to.

Be prepared to wait much longer when there is a line for the free L3 charger at Atlantic Station, or sign up for the NRG eVgo plan. You'd pay $14.95 per month and $0.10 per minute of L3 charging and one would think the paid chargers would have a shorter line and higher reliability.

All that being said, I would never try that myself, I think it would get old very fast having to sit around and charge all the time.

ualwayslose said:
Hello,

As the title says, I am thinking about leasing Nissan leaf. 30 mile commute to work at least till end of the year. The current client has charging available at work. My main work office is a 10 mile commute but I rarely go in now though that may change in the future after the new year. As far as I know there are no charging stations at that office.

At home, I do not have any chargers, though the condo says they will get some in the future just not soon. I do live close to Atlantic Station and theoretically I could

1) L2 Charge and go workout or hang out with friend who lives there everyday
2) L3 charge for 20 minutes and read a book which I do every day anyways.

Does anyone think this is a good idea? Thoughts?
I think that you should visit the chargers around the times you'd want to use them because I've heard of a lot of ICING and capacity problems there

Are there usually long lines at night for the L3 charger, say 10 or 11 ( time i usually get off gym)

Also I am planning to get the leaf to save on gas, and put less mileage on my vehicle. I figure I can either come out even or ahead with savings on gas since I am spending about 30 dollars a week filling up for my commute.

I would have to calculate my savings if I do do that plan and will look up those L3 chargers.

Do you think it would be possible to simply charge at work on a 60 mille round trip? (Charge 8 hours at work. 30 miles back home, 30 miles back to work to charge?)

So far most responses have tried to educate you on the inconveniences you will face. I also want you to think of the inconvenience you may be causing others.

Free charging at public places is supposed to be for occasional use. If more EV owners start using these public places as their main source for charging, you will upset a delicate balance.

Another thing to take into account is how unpredictable demand can be. Take a look at

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=18373

for a sample of how wrong things can get.

I have 2 Leafs. I wouldn't have purchased either if I couldn't charge at home. I look forward to when every car is electric, and am glad that you are interested in getting one. But they aren't for everyone yet because the charging infrastructure isn't there yet.

If you have a dedicated parking spot at your condo, maybe you can get an outlet installed there for charging. You could use a regular household outlet for L1 charging if you don't drive that much. You didn't say if your 30 mile commute is one way or round trip. If it's round trip, you could charge L1 each night about 6-7 hours and be fine. I love having the 6.6kw charging station in my garage. It adds 30 miles of range per hour of charging time.

asemeco said:
So far most responses have tried to educate you on the inconveniences you will face. I also want you to think of the inconvenience you may be causing others.

Free charging at public places is supposed to be for occasional use. If more EV owners start using these public places as their main source for charging, you will upset a delicate balance.

Another thing to take into account is how unpredictable demand can be. Take a look at

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=18373

for a sample of how wrong things can get.

So it's at lawerenville, then I go to Georgia Tech to workout. But even with reliable charge at work 110v, I was thinking in would just need a short charge l2 or l3 to just make it back to work every work night? Still a no go on the idea?

A post on the Leaf/EV South Facebook page, indicated that the Space the Free Chargers are at have been leased, so the free charging will be gone soon.

The L2 & the new L3 in the parking deck is the soon to be the main option there.

ualwayslose said:
Do you think it would be possible to simply charge at work on a 60 mille round trip? (Charge 8 hours at work. 30 miles back home, 30 miles back to work to charge?)
You said it was 110 for charging at work - so that is L1 charge rate. L1 adds at best 5 miles per hour of charging. Thus, the 8 hours will give you 40 miles range (it might be a bit less).

Add 40 miles range, drive 60 miles, repeat, is not going to work out for very long.

Are there enough reliable pay chargers in your area? Free ones tend to be overcrowded and unavailable. You need reliable with spares in case one is broken. There have been complaints about some L3 chargers reliability. Are you willing to put in the 2 hours per day sitting around for L2 charge durations? At a typical price of $1/hour, that works out to a bit over $40/month for charging.

Well, I was planning on using fast charger. 15 mins a day. Also 40 a month is cheaper than what I spend on gas a month.

Back