redLEAF
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2011

Re: Chicagoland area

redLEAF wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:48 am On other 'EL' plate spotting, the highest I've seen is 3035x EL on a Model X around the North Shore. Lots of new Model Y's out and about as well ... seeing more Chevy Bolt's, Audi e-tron's and definitely used LEAF's on the road (many used LEAF's seem to be resold by Carmax and other non-Nissan dealers based on the rear license frames/dealer sticker on their rear hatches).
Since this post in February 'unscientific' survey shows an additional 7K EV's now registered in IL - saw 3750x EL on a Model 3 yesterday! Interestingly enough, have seen some IL EV's that still have their non-EL plates on their cars but every single one is expired -- no surprise unless of course its yours and you're waiting on the IL SOS -- apparently not all non-EL plates owners are being reached out to -- just of course when you try to renew your plate will you get prompted that you can't and an 'EL' plate (that of course includes the $100 gas tax adder over the regular plate fee) is now required. The only 'exception' I've seen allowed so far is a Model 3 with a 'tinted windows' or 'WT' (4-digits followed by WT); these are special plates for people with a medical condition -- didn't even know they had these:

https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/depa ... ndows.html

Yesterday - saw my first Volvo XC40 Recharge in the wild - quite a recent purchase as was plated with 35xxx EL - nice looking car, stands out from the gasser version with that filled in front grill that matches the body color - too bad its so expensive with a bit limited range vs. its competitors. Starting to also see more Audi e-Tron's as well as Porsche Taycan's out and about in the NW 'burbs.

As mentioned elsewhere on the forum - turned in the '18 smart as was end of lease, sold the VW Touareg outright to Carvana for almost double what it would get pre-pandemic and added a '19 BMW i3 (no range extender - base model) - so currently just 2 EV's in the family. So far, love the BMW (as well as its 2-year depreciation cost!) as a daily driver that easily travels about 175-180 miles on a single charge -- way better of course than the smart and a decent improvement over the '15 e-Golf we had between the LEAF and first Model 3.

By far the most popular EV's we've seen around town are Tesla's -- seem to be mostly new Model Y's -- but continue to see recently purchased used LEAF's with higher numbered EL plates (typically 33xxx EL and higher) so these if you can find one and the range works for you seem fairly popular.
2018 smart ED Brabus (leased) > 2019 BMW i3 (5K miles!)
2017 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD > 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD
2012 Nissan LEAF SL > 2015 VW e-Golf
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink
DougWantsALeaf
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811

Redleaf

Here on the Northside this month I have started seeing a number of new eTrons, which were rare sitings historically. MachEs, Bolts, and Leafs also abound, but not in the frequency of 3s and Ys.
2019 S Plus (93.1% SOH) & 2019 SV Plus (90.7% SOH) Both Silver
2013 Leaf SV sold 2019 with 11 bars
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max Miles on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max Miles on 19 SV+: 242 Highway miles @ 4.5 miles/kWh
redLEAF

A few months and few more thousand EV's registered in IL -- yesterday spotted a Tesla Model 3 with 400xx EL plate so at least IL EL plate reservations have passed the 40K mark now. Have recently seen a number of Porsche Taycan's and other more recent EV makes and models but many have yet to make their way to the Midwest and even Chicagoland. It will be great for non-Tesla EV owners once they open up the Supercharger network to them as seen a number of new multi-charger sites opening -- these typically have at least 6 to 8 chargers minimum versus the single or two-unit charger non-Tesla setups -- those mostly just 240V setups as well. Our recent lightly used BMW i3 addition to our 'fleet' has continued to perform quite well and is still a rare occurrence to see one around here -- of course BMW dropped it but its quite high price of entry when new has something to do with it I'm sure.
redLEAF

redLEAF wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:46 am A few months and few more thousand EV's registered in IL -- yesterday spotted a Tesla Model 3 with 400xx EL plate so at least IL EL plate reservations have passed the 40K mark now.
Update that to IL plates at 4400x EL! starting to see a few more VW ID.4's (the only thing that really makes them stand out is the front-grill VW logo at night - otherwise pretty blend in like most other SUV's so could be missing to see some) and more of the Audi e-tron variations -- Tesla still dominates among these new plate sightings -
redLEAF

redLEAF wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:26 am
redLEAF wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:46 am A few months and few more thousand EV's registered in IL -- yesterday spotted a Tesla Model 3 with 400xx EL plate so at least IL EL plate reservations have passed the 40K mark now.
Update that to IL plates at 4400x EL! starting to see a few more VW ID.4's (the only thing that really makes them stand out is the front-grill VW logo at night - otherwise pretty blend in like most other SUV's so could be missing to see some) and more of the Audi e-tron variations -- Tesla still dominates among these new plate sightings -
Just heard that the IL SOS will re-allow regular and vanity plates for EV's this year so the 'EL' plate will no longer be a close to real indicator of EV's registered in the state. Did come across this site that tracts US EV registrations by state and although a year old (updated through Jan 2021) did show IL at about 26K - as the 440xx is just the latest numerical plate and doesn't indicate that all these are still on the road pretty impressive increase over a year anyway. Not surprisingly - CA and WA state are among the top states with EV's - a bit of a surprise is TX vs. AZ - you would think AZ might be higher but not on this chart.

https://afdc.energy.gov/data/10962
redLEAF

redLEAF wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:26 am
redLEAF wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:26 am
Just heard that the IL SOS will re-allow regular and vanity plates for EV's this year so the 'EL' plate will no longer be a close to real indicator of EV's registered in the state.
Quick plate and EV sighting update (with the plate caveat mentioned earlier) ... highest EL plate was just under 47xxx so still increasing but pace may slow a bit due to non-EL plate transfers, etc. Saw an IL registered (still had its temp tag) Kia EV6 with matte gray finish, a lot more VW ID.4's and a Mercedes EQS (but that one was at a dealer).

Will be interesting to see if/when the $4K 'rebate' for IL EV's will get any traction -- it's says its for 'low income' residents (defined as meaning persons and families whose income does not exceed 80% of the State median income for the current State fiscal year). So for Cook County where its' $68,789 that would be a little over $55K limit. As the general rule of thumb -- they say you should not spend more than 35% of you annual salary so say it's $19,250 (or add the $4K so $23,250 excluding sales taxes and fees). This eliminates all new Tesla's and a number of other EV's as being outside the affordability range but as it includes used EV's there could be a fair number of options as most depreciate really quickly in their first few years -- see link below on the IL rules - supposed to be in effect on Jul 1 this year so we'll see! With gas prices being so high it may just work.

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/i ... apterID=36

Return to “Central USA”