jjeff
Posts: 2118
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 am
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121
Location: MSP MN

Re: Winter Tires

Sat May 02, 2020 5:42 pm

Thanks guys, I think I will just leave them on then. Again even if they wear twice as fast, in the 6 summer months we have it will probably only be driven 3k miles so if that equates to 6k of winter driving it should hardly be worth the $120-140 to swap them out. The snows sure made a difference in the winter, went from our most likely to get stuck car to our least.
In the future I think I'm only going to purchase summer rated snow tires, I really like the Micheline Crosstrek's?? I purchased for a van, very good winter traction and are rated for summer use.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 14905
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Winter Tires

Sat May 02, 2020 6:43 pm

I thought I had avoided the hefty twice a year expense of having tires swapped by getting separate wheels for the snows, but it turns out that the mounting and balancing was "free" and that either way I have to pay the mobile tire service $110 just for essentially rotating the tires...
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

alozzy
Posts: 1501
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:25 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact: Website

Re: Winter Tires

Sun May 03, 2020 11:39 am

To add one small thing...

I figured I would have my LEAF for awhile so I spent $50 CAD per wheel for new 16" steel wheels. I didn't bother with the TPMS sensors.

Then I started watching Craigslist postings for a friend who was looking for cheap alloy wheels and quickly realized there are better deals to be had...

For jjeff, these set of wheels I found on CL would be a good example (alloy wheels c/w TPMS sensors):

https://rmn.craigslist.org/wto/d/browns ... 90766.html

The 2015 Nissan Altima wheels have the same bolt pattern (5x114.3mm), offset, and CB so they should definitely fit a 2013 LEAF.

I realize that Brownsdale is a bit of a drive for you, but this is just an example - these sorts of deals pop up with regularity on Craigslist.

When hunting for something specific on CL, I use a saved searched with specific criteria which notifies me by email whenever new matching postings appear.

To create a saved search, register for a CL account and then go under the "wheels+tires" category. Using search criteria such as "owner", "has image" and "miles from ZIP", along with a "Nissan R16" search term, should give you good results. I've purchased two sets of all season tires tires for my LEAF from CL, using this same methodology - both sets with >70% tread for about $250 CAD per set.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

jjeff
Posts: 2118
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 am
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121
Location: MSP MN

Re: Winter Tires

Sun May 03, 2020 2:11 pm

alozzy wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 11:39 am
To add one small thing...

I figured I would have my LEAF for awhile so I spent $50 CAD per wheel for new 16" steel wheels. I didn't bother with the TPMS sensors.

Then I started watching Craigslist postings for a friend who was looking for cheap alloy wheels and quickly realized there are better deals to be had...

For jjeff, these set of wheels I found on CL would be a good example (alloy wheels c/w TPMS sensors):

https://rmn.craigslist.org/wto/d/browns ... 90766.html

The 2015 Nissan Altima wheels have the same bolt pattern (5x114.3mm), offset, and CB so they should definitely fit a 2013 LEAF.

I realize that Brownsdale is a bit of a drive for you, but this is just an example - these sorts of deals pop up with regularity on Craigslist.

When hunting for something specific on CL, I use a saved searched with specific criteria which notifies me by email whenever new matching postings appear.

To create a saved search, register for a CL account and then go under the "wheels+tires" category. Using search criteria such as "owner", "has image" and "miles from ZIP", along with a "Nissan R16" search term, should give you good results. I've purchased two sets of all season tires tires for my LEAF from CL, using this same methodology - both sets with >70% tread for about $250 CAD per set.
Thanks, Rochester is really only a long hour from me. The only thing that worries me a bit is I've read the new TPMS need to be paired to the vehicle, if I did this would I then need to re-pair my original TPMSs or does it remember more than 4 sensors? I believe I've read Leafspy Pro has this feature? If so I have it but haven't explored all it's options, all I really use it for is to occasionally display my battery health.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

BrockWI
Posts: 832
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:28 am
Delivery Date: 28 Mar 2014
Leaf Number: 423875
Location: Green Bay, WI.
Contact: Website

Re: Winter Tires

Sun May 03, 2020 2:29 pm

jjeff, I would also recommend just getting a second whole set. The other thing to keep in mind is where to store them in the opposite season. It also gives you a "spare tire", even if it is at your house and you have to run to get it, if you ever did get a flat. Our oldest is starting at the Univ of Minn starting next fall (hopefully on campus), so I will be back and forth a bunch. If you do go with another set I could bring our TPMS cloning stuff with us and we could clone your summer to winters, then the Leaf never even knows you changed them, but with the added benefit of the TPMS and no dash warning light :) It looks like a set of four cloneable is now about $130. Then again if you not going to have it long term or of the low mileage all of this might be overkill.

Oh our 2013 can only know one set of TPMS, I thought I read the 2018 SV & SL could remember two sets?

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=24701&p=507690&hil ... ng#p507690
2013 S model with QC package Mar of 2013
lost first bar @ 72k
@100k miles - 57.3Ahr - 87.62SOH - 84.13Hx - 241GID
3.3 kw solar pv - XW6048 - eight L16's
4 ton GSHP - 1 ton ASHP
2003 VW TDI 210k miles - 52 mpg lifetime
EVSE level 2 - Clipper Creek HSC-40

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 14905
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Winter Tires

Sun May 03, 2020 2:47 pm

My 2018 seems to remember both sets. I'll find out for sure when I get it inspected this month, or change the wheels myself.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

alozzy
Posts: 1501
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:25 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact: Website

Re: Winter Tires

Sun May 03, 2020 9:39 pm

Dala details all the steps in this post:

https://secondlifestorage.com/showthrea ... 308&page=5
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

frontrangeleaf
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:07 am
Delivery Date: 08 Jul 2019
Location: Denver Area

Re: Winter Tires

Mon May 04, 2020 10:31 am

We sprang for TPMS sensors when we bought new wheels and swapped the factory tires to them. Put snows on the factory wheels, as they're narrower. The car remembers both sets.

No hassle at all. Just swap the tires twice a year. I do it myself, or have Discount Tires do it (free, but I have to go over there and wait). Much easier on the bead not dismounting and remounting them every season. Store the off-season set behind the garage under a cover I got off of Amazon. Cover blocks UV and moisture.

We do this with all of our year-round cars. Only the roadster wears the same tires all-year as it's a fair weather car.
Empty-nesters - NW Denver-Boulder Area

2019 Leaf SL Plus
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
2007 BMW Z4 3.0Si
2012 VW GTI

roger1818
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:09 pm
Delivery Date: 27 Jun 2019
Leaf Number: 315029

Re: Winter Tires

Tue May 05, 2020 12:16 pm

jjeff wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 5:42 pm
Thanks guys, I think I will just leave them on then. Again even if they wear twice as fast, in the 6 summer months we have it will probably only be driven 3k miles so if that equates to 6k of winter driving it should hardly be worth the $120-140 to swap them out. The snows sure made a difference in the winter, went from our most likely to get stuck car to our least.
In the future I think I'm only going to purchase summer rated snow tires, I really like the Micheline Crosstrek's?? I purchased for a van, very good winter traction and are rated for summer use.
The other factor with using winters in summer is in warm weather your traction won't be as good in warm weather (the rubber gets very soft), thus degrading both your handling and stopping distance. This could affect your inseparability in a collision if the insurance company determines that the accident could have been avoided had you had summer tires.
LeftieBiker wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 6:43 pm
I thought I had avoided the hefty twice a year expense of having tires swapped by getting separate wheels for the snows, but it turns out that the mounting and balancing was "free" and that either way I have to pay the mobile tire service $110 just for essentially rotating the tires...
You might want to look for a new tire service. $110 is crazy expensive. Here most places here charge $40 CAD (under $30 USD) to swap tires on rims.
LeftieBiker wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:47 pm
My 2018 seems to remember both sets. I'll find out for sure when I get it inspected this month, or change the wheels myself.
Nice to know. I have "parked" my Leaf for COVID, to save on insurance, but its good to know that I don't need to reset the TPMS when I change the tires (I normally do it in May as we can get snow in April here).
2019 Leaf SV
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Return to “Canada”