GCC: Heliogen launches, achieves > 1,000 deg C from concentrated sunlight for industrial processes

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/11/20191125-heliogen.html

We'll see if this ever proceeds beyond a company press release, but they are working with Parsons and they claim some big money investors including Bill Gates, and mention cement, steel and petrochemical production which are the major industrial uses of fossil fuels, and which up to now haven't really had an economic, non-fossil fuel way to replace them. If their claims pan out and the scale can be made sufficiently large, this would be a big deal.

Main problem is few industrial processes work at all with constant stopping and starting or changing levels of input heat.

Although if i does work then cement processing could be ran open loop with no heat recovery.
Why is heat recovery bad in cement production?
Because heating drives off cloride compounds, heat recovery is also cloride recovery.
Clorides in cement make it weaker and attack steel reenforcement.
The main reason to run heat recovery is to make more cement with less natural gas.

Back