Showing SOC% on the ZE0 dashboard, CAN-hack

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dala

Leaf Supporting Member
I've hacked in a way to display SOC% on the oldest 2011-2013 LEAF! The solution wasn't as elegant as I'd hoped for 😂, but now I don't need to take out Leafspy to check the SOC anymore! More info in the description for anyone curious :D

https://youtu.be/LuiKp4wjlpQ

Nice work, as usual. Personally though - and I'm pretty good at mental math.....I would prefer just to use the seconds counter. Start at 59 = 100% and then work down to 00 = 0%. That way the 100% SOC would just be the fraction of a minute. Eg 30 seconds = 50%, 15 seconds = 25 %. I'm not sure if that's possible and I don't think I'll ever own a pre-2013 Leaf but that's my $0.02. But really, it's impressive what you do on these cars and it's so good of you to share your work so freely. Thanks!

That's really clever. It's somewhat like counting in a (base 33) number system.

From looking at the "fuel" gauge on the dash at 10 bars, i would have guessed you were at ~83% SOC?

goldbrick said:
Nice work, as usual. Personally though - and I'm pretty good at mental math.....I would prefer just to use the seconds counter. Start at 59 = 100% and then work down to 00 = 0%. That way the 100% SOC would just be the fraction of a minute. Eg 30 seconds = 50%, 15 seconds = 25 %. I'm not sure if that's possible and I don't think I'll ever own a pre-2013 Leaf but that's my $0.02. But really, it's impressive what you do on these cars and it's so good of you to share your work so freely. Thanks!

Thanks, This would be a great idea, BUT, the seconds part only increments in steps of 6, meaning 0-6-12-18-24etc., so you would loose some accuracy.

nlspace said:
From looking at the "fuel" gauge on the dash at 10 bars, i would have guessed you were at ~83% SOC?

This is an issue on battery upgraded ZE0 cars with my current implementation, the 12bars are not dropping as linearly as on the stock cars. The VCM ignores what the battery is sending, and instead decides to show more bars than it should, but then catches up at the 50% mark and starts to be more accurate. It is a mess, the whole ZE0 is such a nightmare when it comes to the coding...

Back