Alright, sorry for the delay since the last update on this project, contrary to my initial plan I actually found somebody to help me with firmware locally and figured out the last bugs and performance issues with this project. It's done now! Sorry RkEvHopeful for not getting back to you sooner, you're still getting your board very soon!
So, this is essentially an eavesdropping tool for CAN buses. Cut any CAN bus in twain, plug one end into one port and the other into the other port and this board will transparently repeat CAN messages back and forth - while at the same time logging every single CAN message to an isolated serial port. This allows for much more detailed CAN bus reverse engineering than has been done so far on this forum as well as active modification of pretty much every behavior of any car.
The current feature set:
- Supports 500kHz CAN only
- Supports any message rate - tested up to approx. 700msgs/s but can deal with a saturated bus in unit tests.
- Consumes approx. 35mA @ 12V, board is 50x30mm
- Isolated serial port via JST XH 4-pin connector at 921600 baud
- replicates serial port on-board via a 6-pin expansion header (will likely get an ESP32 expansion board soon)
- Firmware can be updated via USB, no drivers or programmers required
I will be selling these boards via a yet to be set up web shop under the Muxsan brand, in the meantime I'm not quite sure what to do, I might temporarily sell them on my Tindie store. The board for now will NOT be open source as such, but if you're willing to help with firmware development I'm happy to share. The main reason for this is that we're using this board for our Leaf conversions and are still working out the details of where to put the IP and how to recoup development costs.