Techy who can't get LeafSpy working

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveycsharp

Hi all

I have a late 2014 Leaf Tekna, an iPhone 8 Plus, LeafSpy Pro version 1.6.28 and the following OBDII Wifi Dongle: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pumpkin-Interface-Wireless-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B011O69946/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517318125&sr=8-1&keywords=elm327+wifi

I have followed the instructions for wifi by manually setting the IP and subnet in loads of different configurations including automatic but can never get LeafSpy to connect. I am a software developer by trade so feel I have totally let myself down as I am usually "the fixer" for other people :D

I have also selected the ODBII connector in the settings and registered it.

Here are some images of the different settings I have tried. I only ever get Retry ELM 11 in yellow in the corner. Am I doing some stupid or is there an issue with my dongle?

leaf1.png

leaf2.png

leaf3.png

leaf4.png

leaf5.png

Hi,
I am experiencing exactly what you have experienced. Did manage to fix it? Can you share how?

Thank you in advance,

Greetings from Maria

If you have a WiFi OBDII adapter and the state shown in the lower right corner gets stuck and loops around state 11 then your WiFi OBDII adapter most likely does not support the needed ELM commands to communicate with the Leaf's proprietary protocol.

I have seen this on the newer batch of WiFi OBDII adapters.

I use and recommend using a Carista Bluetooth OBDII adapter. It works with both Android and iOS devices.

If you take an ELM trace while trying to connect and send it to me I can confirm the WiFi OBDII adapter is the problem. See the bottom of the built-in help for how to take an ELM trace and where it is stored.

I have a separate LeafSpy question: my 2019 Plus shows a constant draw of 200 watts when the car is on. Turning on the headlights, high beam, adds another 200 watts. What is using 200 watts at idle? seems like a lot to run some small computers..... Also, I am trying to see how much regen I can get and have so far seen about 50,000 watts so we know it can charge at that rate, around 150 amperes. Any other geeks out there endangering others on the road to max out regen?

dmacarthur said:
I have a separate LeafSpy question: my 2019 Plus shows a constant draw of 200 watts when the car is on. Turning on the headlights, high beam, adds another 200 watts. What is using 200 watts at idle? seems like a lot to run some small computers..... Also, I am trying to see how much regen I can get and have so far seen about 50,000 watts so we know it can charge at that rate, around 150 amperes. Any other geeks out there endangering others on the road to max out regen?

I'm surprised it's only drawing 200 W at idle. I would have expected more.

There are several systems operating even when the car is in Park. In addition to computers, I suspect they include the AC inverter, DC converter, coolant pump, electric power steering, and brake booster/controller.

How rapid of a stop produces 50 kW? It is easy to discern the point where additional brake pressure no longer increases regen? It seems like even fairly gentle braking at higher speeds illuminates all the regen bubbles, but maybe there's more to the story.

"How rapid of a stop produces 50 kW? It is easy to discern the point where additional brake pressure no longer increases regen? It seems like even fairly gentle braking at higher speeds illuminates all the regen bubbles, but maybe there's more to the story.
My highest regen shown on LeafSpy is not using the brake pedal at all but rather switching epedal on after coasting as fast as possible- this is why itis probably not the safest, but it is done in the interest of science! I don't know, at this point, whether the brake pedal would give the same regen or how the LEAFSPY reading correlates to blue bubbles.....

Interesting! Presumably there is also wheel braking in play with the pedal all the way up in E-pedal at high speed, so it may be difficult to estimate the 50 kW regen force.

Science!! :geek:

Back