Page 4 of 6

Re: Warning: Defective Konnwei KW-902 on the market

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:24 pm
by Jedlacks
I measured the resistance on mine and it read 121.2 ohms. I had it plugged in all the time until a few weeks ago, because it was sucking my battery down. With it plugged in my resting battery level was at 12.45+/- volts, and that caused the Nissan Connect not to work. I since put the battery on a slow charge for a few hours and my "first world problem" is now behind me :D

Re: Warning: Defective Konnwei KW-902 on the market

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:36 pm
by DarthBane
Hi Turbo, this is Frank (the 1st unlucky one to have a defective Konnwei, we talked via email).
So I have 2 bad ones now, one from Aliexpress and one from Amazon. I saw the fix, removing the little resistance you show on the picture... I did that, but, before I go ahead and brick my Leaf, I'd like to see if I did this correctly:
1st off, I could barely see anything there, we are talking microscopic almost! Anyways, I saw something, and flicked it off with my fingernail, and it came out. Really small stuff.
Then I re-tested the resistance, and now the needle does not move at all when testing pin #6 to pin #14. Is that a good sign, or should it have gone back to 120 ohms?
If this is right, then I will plug it in and see what happens. I'll probably fix the 2nd one too instead of returning it, I could use it with Torque on my other car I guess.
Thanks for all the help!

Re: Warning: Defective Konnwei KW-902 on the market

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:43 pm
by Turbo3
DarthBane wrote:Hi Turbo, this is Frank (the 1st unlucky one to have a defective Konnwei, we talked via email).
So I have 2 bad ones now, one from Aliexpress and one from Amazon. I saw the fix, removing the little resistance you show on the picture... I did that, but, before I go ahead and brick my Leaf, I'd like to see if I did this correctly:
1st off, I could barely see anything there, we are talking microscopic almost! Anyways, I saw something, and flicked it off with my fingernail, and it came out. Really small stuff.
Then I re-tested the resistance, and now the needle does not move at all when testing pin #6 to pin #14. Is that a good sign, or should it have gone back to 120 ohms?
If this is right, then I will plug it in and see what happens. I'll probably fix the 2nd one too instead of returning it, I could use it with Torque on my other car I guess.
Thanks for all the help!
No, it will not be 120 ohms. I just measured my working one without the resistor and get about 27.5 K ohms. I think you are OK to install it.

Re: Warning: Defective Konnwei KW-902 on the market

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:30 am
by DarthBane
Ok, confirmed working after removing the 20 ohms resistance. Changed the door unlock method and it worked, great, thanks a lot for all the info! Now I have 2 working Konnwei units!

Re: Warning: Defective Konnwei KW-902 on the market

Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:47 pm
by chivalryx
FYI. The KW-902 Wifi versions are also affected. Unfortunately the board is very different from the original post, so I'm unsure which resistor to remove. Didn't help that the build quality was poor, so one wire had come loose of the solder point and was just hanging there...

Re: Warning: Defective Konnwei KW-902 on the market

Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:20 pm
by des28
You may be able to follow the tracks from the pins, or look for this same chip as in the attached image, resistor is likely to be right beside it on pins 2/3 as it is with this one. You can measure the 120 ohm / 20 ohm right at that point too.

Cheers,
Des

Image

Re: Warning: Defective Konnwei KW-902 on the market

Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:21 pm
by Battlewind
First post!

First off, thanks for the recommendation on the adaptor. Second, thanks for the warning on this. I too ordered one from Amazon and it came in with a 20 ohm resistor.

As I read this, my options are to either return it or desolder the 20 ohm resistor correct? If I do return it, how many time have others done this in the past before getting a good one?

Thanks!

Re: Warning: Defective Konnwei KW-902 on the market

Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:41 pm
by Battlewind
I ended up sending it back for a refund. I couldn't get it to work properly. I had an older ELM327 that ended up working fine once I turned off the car's bluetooth. Now I have to figure out why they won't work together.

Re: Warning: Defective Konnwei KW-902 on the market

Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:19 pm
by baustin
Battlewind wrote:I ended up sending it back for a refund. I couldn't get it to work properly. I had an older ELM327 that ended up working fine once I turned off the car's bluetooth. Now I have to figure out why they won't work together.
Your phone can only connect to one device at a time. The bluetooth connection to the car is automatic when it turns on. This prevents the connection for LeafSpy from working. I use a separate tablet for LeafSpy, so that I don't have that problem.

Re: Warning: Defective Konnwei KW-902 on the market

Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:35 am
by magico13
baustin wrote: Your phone can only connect to one device at a time. The bluetooth connection to the car is automatic when it turns on. This prevents the connection for LeafSpy from working. I use a separate tablet for LeafSpy, so that I don't have that problem.
That might be true for their phone, but is not a general truth. LeafSpy works fine with my phone also playing music through the car while also connected to my watch. Bluetooth is supposed to work with multiple devices at the same time, at least as long as they have different functions.