SalisburySam
Delivery Date: 24 Feb 2012
Leaf Number: 018156

Re: iOS LeafSpy Pro Support

Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:46 am

Turbo3 wrote:
SalisburySam wrote:Let me thank mjblazin, EV4EVer, hieronymous, and LEAFMuranoDriver for their suggestions to help me pick out an OBDII WiFi reader. I chose an iCAM3; it is the current model of one of the recommendations, and I was surprised how small the device is. I downloaded LEAFSpyPro, it installed on my iPhone6 without problem, and connected quickly to the OBDII device. Now I see what all the wonder is about, and I add my $20 and praise to Turbo3 for this amazing bit of insight into my LEAF. Not sure what it all tells me yet, but this and related MNL threads certainly mean a lot more to me now than before. Thanks again all.
Does this mean they have fixed the bug in the iCAR3 (not iCAM3) where you need to unplug it and plug again after it goes into sleep mode?
Thanks for the correction: yes, it is an iCAR3, my bad.

I can't directly speak to a fix, but I've left the device in place since installing it, and it connects quickly and with no interaction on my part. I've driven my LEAF about 8 times since I've had the device and LeafSpy Pro, and have had to do nothing to connect other than ensuring my phone's WiFi is turned on. Works on both iPhone6 and iPad3, the only devices I've tested to date.

Lastly, the iCAR3 does indeed appear to go into sleep mode correctly. I've come back to the car about half an hour after shutdown, tried to connect with the iPhone6, and there is no connection. After starting the car, the connection self-establishes quickly. So far, all appears well.
Nissan 2012 LEAF SL, 13,600 miles, 9 bars, 35-mile range

Tesla Model 3: Long Range Rear Wheel Drive | Extended AutoPilot | Full Self-Driving | HW3 Upgrade
Delivered: July, 2018 | 16,000 miles | PM me for Tesla referral code

SalisburySam
Delivery Date: 24 Feb 2012
Leaf Number: 018156

Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:13 am

TimLee wrote:
SalisburySam wrote:... I chose an iCAM3; it is the current model of one of the recommendations, and I was surprised how small the device is. ...
Why the iCAM3 instead of LYL that Turbo3 uses?
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 02#p429802

Size?
Price?
Hi TimLee, fair question, happy to share my thinking. I'm frequently wrong, but I take comfort in the satisfaction of having made a decision.

I picked the iCAR3 (not iCAM3, as Turbo3 correctly pointed out) because it met all of my requirements, recapped below. The LYL is a larger device that either will interfere with my left shin or will require an extension cable and mounting/hanging somewhere else, and therefore doesn't meet requirement #2. I respect the comments from others who suggested the OBDII port on the LEAF is pretty weak and could break over many connect-disconnect cycles, however I don't plan to remove the device, except for the annual State inspection when they plug in their own device for their tests, or unless it fails. To date, my first week or so with the device has been flawless.

Original requirements:
1- must work with the amazing LeaSpyPro and all of its features
2- prefer a smaller device that doesn't need an extension cable but doesn't attack knees either
3- prefer automatic shut down and reboot, since I don't drive my LEAF every day
4- iPhone, iPad compatible, at least the more current models
5- under $100
Nissan 2012 LEAF SL, 13,600 miles, 9 bars, 35-mile range

Tesla Model 3: Long Range Rear Wheel Drive | Extended AutoPilot | Full Self-Driving | HW3 Upgrade
Delivered: July, 2018 | 16,000 miles | PM me for Tesla referral code

otbiker
Delivery Date: 29 May 2015
Leaf Number: 325934

Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:24 am

Just downloaded LSP and discovered it will not run under IOS9. Opens, then crashes. :(

Awaiting an update I guess...

Marty
2015 SV

Marty in Kerrville

Turbo3
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191

Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:21 am

otbiker wrote:Just downloaded LSP and discovered it will not run under IOS9. Opens, then crashes. :(

Awaiting an update I guess...

Marty
Unfortunately iOS 9 has dropped support for the method LeafSpy Pro uses to read the Network SSID which is used to check if the network is attached to a WiFi OBDII adapter.

I have a simple workaround for now that just skips trying to read the SSID until I find another way to do this under iOS 9.

This fix should be in the next test release. If you would like to test this version of LeafSpy Pro send a request to WattsLeft.meter@gmail.com to joint the iOS test group.

rdhauser
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 05 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 4055

Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:51 am

Newbe here. I bought the iCar3 and downloaded LeafSpy Pro. Tested it yesterday and after correcting for some errors on my part, everything seems to be running well.

I’m not sure that I’ve done the automatic shut off test correctly yet, but I think the unit does shut off. Although the instructions that came with it say that there is a light on it, I can’t find one. It’s a very small. Barely extends below the dash so there’s no problem leaving it there if it does indeed shut off. If it shuts off, will it wake up when my iPad tries to make contact (before the car is on)?

I’ve just used the software once and I’m not up to speed at all. I got these so I could see how the battery was doing without having to insist that the dealer tell me at the annual service (they like to hand out that sheet that rates the battery in stars). So I think I’m in good shape.

The car is a 2011 coming up on 19,000 miles. I did a charge to 100% last night. Page 3 of the App showed:

SOC 96.5%
GIDS 246 (87.5%)
kWh 19.1
Ah 55.38
Volt 394.0
Wh 447

So I’m thinking that perhaps the battery is at about 87% of its original capacity. The car still shows all 12 bars when fully charged, however. If it is indeed at 87%, I think I should have lost a bar by now.

I’ve been looking at the instructions in the App for column H of the Log file in which it says current capacity can be calculated by: SOC% x AHr x 360 which shows an estimate of kWh.

I did a little futzing in a spreadsheet, but I’m really not inclined to get too obsessed.

If you don’t mind answering:

What is the kWh capacity of a new 2011 HV battery?

What does the acronym GID stand for?
Dick
2011 Glacier Pearl SLe 005287 (Gone to the Kids 5/18)
2018 White SV with Cold Weather Option 3/16/18

Turbo3
Gold Member

Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:09 pm

rdhauser wrote:Newbe here. I bought the iCar3 and downloaded LeafSpy Pro. Tested it yesterday and after correcting for some errors on my part, everything seems to be running well.

I’m not sure that I’ve done the automatic shut off test correctly yet, but I think the unit does shut off. Although the instructions that came with it say that there is a light on it, I can’t find one. It’s a very small. Barely extends below the dash so there’s no problem leaving it there if it does indeed shut off. If it shuts off, will it wake up when my iPad tries to make contact (before the car is on)?

I’ve just used the software once and I’m not up to speed at all. I got these so I could see how the battery was doing without having to insist that the dealer tell me at the annual service (they like to hand out that sheet that rates the battery in stars). So I think I’m in good shape.

The car is a 2011 coming up on 19,000 miles. I did a charge to 100% last night. Page 3 of the App showed:

SOC 96.5%
GIDS 246 (87.5%)
kWh 19.1
Ah 55.38
Volt 394.0
Wh 447

So I’m thinking that perhaps the battery is at about 87% of its original capacity. The car still shows all 12 bars when fully charged, however. If it is indeed at 87%, I think I should have lost a bar by now.

I’ve been looking at the instructions in the App for column H of the Log file in which it says current capacity can be calculated by: SOC% x AHr x 360 which shows an estimate of kWh.

I did a little futzing in a spreadsheet, but I’m really not inclined to get too obsessed.

If you don’t mind answering:

What is the kWh capacity of a new 2011 HV battery?

What does the acronym GID stand for?
Gary Giddings first discovered the CAN message that provided the battery charge level so he got to name the units just like when people discover a new star.

A new 2011 Leaf typically had a maximum Gids reading when charged to "100% " of 281 Gids.

The first bar goes away at 85% SOH which is shown on the first screen. What are your SOH and Hx values from the first screen?

rdhauser
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 05 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 4055

Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:57 pm

First Screen (the one with the 96 HV battery cells) shows:

AHr 57.39
SOH 87%
Hx 74.88

And I did confirm that the iCar3 shuts off after a bit (about 1/2 hour) because when I select WiFi in the iPod settings, it searches but does not find the iCar3 (while I'm standing just outside the car).
Dick
2011 Glacier Pearl SLe 005287 (Gone to the Kids 5/18)
2018 White SV with Cold Weather Option 3/16/18

vrwl
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 8597

Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:29 pm

rdhauser wrote:First Screen (the one with the 96 HV battery cells) shows:

AHr 57.39
SOH 87%
Hx 74.88

And I did confirm that the iCar3 shuts off after a bit (about 1/2 hour) because when I select WiFi in the iPod settings, it searches but does not find the iCar3 (while I'm standing just outside the car).
I lost my first bar at a bit lower level than most. My AHr was 53.98 and my SOH was 82% at the time. You've still got a bit to go before you have to worry about losing your first bar. Congrats! :)
Vicki
2011 Silver SL-Mfg 8/11-Purch 6/12
34000 miles

Ronan
Delivery Date: 24 Jul 2015
Leaf Number: 026463

Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:53 am

Hi guys,

I have done my best in trying to get the LeafSpy app working. A trail of google breadcrumbs led here.

LeafSpy Pro: 1.0.10
Leaf: MY15 made in Sunderland, UK.
iPhone: iPhone 6
iOS: 8.4.1
OBD2 scanner: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A ... ge_o01_s00

The app connects fine but doesn't seem to pull any info. Please see screen shots

It stays at Connected 14 00 and doesn't budge off that for the majority of the time. Once it changed to 102 00.
I have left the app connected for 10 minutes plus and it never pulled any info from the Leaf.

Any help appreciated.
Regards,
Ronan

Turbo3
Gold Member

Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:03 pm

Ronan wrote:Hi guys,

I have done my best in trying to get the LeafSpy app working. A trail of google breadcrumbs led here.

LeafSpy Pro: 1.0.10
Leaf: MY15 made in Sunderland, UK.
iPhone: iPhone 6
iOS: 8.4.1
OBD2 scanner: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A ... ge_o01_s00

The app connects fine but doesn't seem to pull any info. Please see screen shots

It stays at Connected 14 00 and doesn't budge off that for the majority of the time. Once it changed to 102 00.
I have left the app connected for 10 minutes plus and it never pulled any info from the Leaf.

Any help appreciated.
Regards,
Ronan

Assuming your Leaf was turned on when LeafSpy was running I would take an ELM trace of about one minute and send it to me at the address listed on the About screen.

You will need to use iTunes to move the TRC_xxxx.txt file to a PC to send it to me.

Return to “LEAF CANBus”