Turbo3
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191

Re: Discuss Tire Registration function of Battery App

Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:59 pm

Version 0.29.15 will have better status messages for tire registration.

The raw status numbers are replaced with Status of "Idle", "Busy", "Done", "Fail".

If status is "Fail" you will get the following instruction box.

marccbr
Delivery Date: 05 May 2011

Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:40 am

Nice, much better improvement. I like the added pop up to check the pressure :).

elmobob
Delivery Date: 26 May 2012
Leaf Number: 020011

Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:33 pm

I was able to re-register the 4 tires, my local gas station's air pump was not accurate enough filling the tires to the 35,32 etc exact air pressures and the registration kept failing, I then tried the 12v air pump that came with the Leaf and half a mile later drive it registered.

Turbo3
Gold Member

Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:41 am

elmobob wrote:I was able to re-register the 4 tires, my local gas station's air pump was not accurate enough filling the tires to the 35,32 etc exact air pressures and the registration kept failing, I then tried the 12v air pump that came with the Leaf and half a mile later drive it registered.
Thanks for reporting your success and how you did it.

TimLee
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:47 am

First, as a new user of Leaf Spy Pro I'd like to sincerely thank Jim Pollock (Turbo3) for this wonderful product that he has developed for the LEAF community.
A truly great piece of software that every LEAF driver should have :!: :!: :!: :D :D :D .

But I would like to offer some constructive suggestions for improvement of the Tire Registration process. Yes, it does work as currently designed. But it is tediously unnecessarily time consuming, and with the OEM tires I don't like driving around with any of them inflated to less than 34 psig. For the short distances probably not a big harm. But surely there has to be a better approach.

Why can't the software be revised to give the user their own selection of pressures and locations on the vehicle? User enters four pressures and their location on the vehicle, e.g.
33 FR
36 RL
39 FL
42 RR
The locations could be simply entered by checking one of four locations besides the pressure entry. The app would validate that all four locations were selected and that the pressures were separated by at least 3 psi.

But it would be much better if the tire registration was done using a magnet and a tire registration screen in the app that didn't require changing tire pressures at all and didn't require driving the vehicle. A retrofit tire pressure monitoring system that I bought for an old vehicle without TPMS at Goodyear and that was manufactured by Johnson Controls included the magnet for doing the tire pressure registration. Apparently a lot of the TPMS systems support such an approach, as Tire Rack currently sells a tire pressure registration magnet for $14.99. Does the TPMS used by Nissan not support tire registration using a magnet?

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

Turbo3
Gold Member

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:48 pm

TimLee wrote:First, as a new user of Leaf Spy Pro I'd like to sincerely thank Jim Pollock (Turbo3) for this wonderful product that he has developed for the LEAF community.
A truly great piece of software that every LEAF driver should have :!: :!: :!: :D :D :D .

But I would like to offer some constructive suggestions for improvement of the Tire Registration process. Yes, it does work as currently designed. But it is tediously unnecessarily time consuming, and with the OEM tires I don't like driving around with any of them inflated to less than 34 psig. For the short distances probably not a big harm. But surely there has to be a better approach.

Why can't the software be revised to give the user their own selection of pressures and locations on the vehicle? User enters four pressures and their location on the vehicle, e.g.
33 FR
36 RL
39 FL
42 RR
The locations could be simply entered by checking one of four locations besides the pressure entry. The app would validate that all four locations were selected and that the pressures were separated by at least 3 psi.

But it would be much better if the tire registration was done using a magnet and a tire registration screen in the app that didn't require changing tire pressures at all and didn't require driving the vehicle. A retrofit tire pressure monitoring system that I bought for an old vehicle without TPMS at Goodyear and that was manufactured by Johnson Controls included the magnet for doing the tire pressure registration. Apparently a lot of the TPMS systems support such an approach, as Tire Rack currently sells a tire pressure registration magnet for $14.99. Does the TPMS used by Nissan not support tire registration using a magnet?
The problem is none of this is under the control of the app.

The app issues a single command to the Leaf to perform the Nissan programmed tire registration sequence.

The sequence is totally within the Leaf. When the Leaf has completed the operation (or failed) it sets a status byte that the app reads.

There is absolutely nothing the app can do to changed the Nissan pre-programmed sequence. It is described in the Leaf Service manual.

--------------------------------
Update
The service manual talks about using an external tool (J-45295) to activate each wheel's TPMS in sequence. But it seems the tool is sending an RF signal to wake up each TPMS and not a magnet.

If someone has access to a J-45295 I would be interested in knowing if it works with the app. Procedure would be start registration procedure from the app then go to each tire in sequence FL, FR, RR, RL and see if registration completes successfully. No need to adjust tire pressures.
Last edited by Turbo3 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TimLee

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:02 pm

Turbo3 wrote: The problem is none of this is under the control of the app.

The app issues a single command to the Leaf to perform the Nissan programmed tire registration sequence.

The sequence is totally within the Leaf. When the Leaf has completed the operation (or failed) it sets a status byte that the app reads.

There is absolutely nothing the app can do to changed the Nissan pre-programmed sequence. It is described in the Leaf Service manual.
Basically Nissan has a badly designed TPMS :shock: :shock:
Not even close to as good as many after market add on TPMS systems where tire registration can be done in under two minutes with a magnet.
Kind of analogous to the huge shortcomings in their Clarion supplied navigation units.
For a company that overall is building amazing vehicles, its incomprehensible that they can't get something like TPMS and navigation at least close to right :cry: :cry:
My two vehicles are a 2011 LEAF and a 2009 Altima SL.
And overall they are both very good vehicles.
But having such stupid unnecessary shortcomings insures that when I replace them, I will take a very careful look at everything else available.

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

garsh
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2012

Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:13 am

TimLee wrote:Basically Nissan has a badly designed TPMS
There are other ways to register the TPMS sensors. This is just the one way that it can be done without using any external tools.
2012 Black SV, bought 2012-04-04, sold 2019-05-10. 7 bars, 101,850 miles.
Current rides: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 2018 Chevrolet Volt LT

TimLee

Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:02 am

garsh wrote: There are other ways to register the TPMS sensors. This is just the one way that it can be done without using any external tools.
Details :?:
If it can be done with an inexpensive $5 to $15 magnet most people would buy the tool. If the only tool is a $500 to $2000 or more Nissan configuration tool, then most will not.

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

muus
Delivery Date: 16 Jun 2014

Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:41 am

I have a 2014 Leaf SL and would like to know if this procedure will work to register the TPMS sensors I plan on installing on my winter wheels. The part number for the 2014 TPMS is 40700-3AN1A.

I purchased three used TPMS sensors off e-bay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181221912600?ss ... 1497.l2649

And plan on ordering a fourth for $52 from here:
http://www.tpms.com/TPMS_SE55557_407003 ... e55557.htm
2014 Leaf SL (Gun Metal Grey)
Upgraded Panasonic EVSE (20A)
JuiceBox bought from Kickstarter
23 months 50,000 KMs
Leaf Spy Pro: 62Ahr (up from a low of 50Ahr)

Return to “LEAF CANBus”