Discuss Tire Registration function of Battery App

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbo3

Leaf Supporting Member
Please use this topic to discuss the Tire Registration function in the Leaf Battery App.

The Tire Registration function is currently in beta test.

Since the Battery App displays the four tire pressures it is important that the tires' positions on the car be correctly registered so a low pressure tire can be correctly located without needing an external guage.

Each time the tires are rotated their position changes and a registration should be performed. This has required a visit to the dealer and so is not normally done. Also the Leaf does not display the actual tire having the low pressure so position was not important. The Battery App has changed all that and so it makes sense that the app include a function to correctly register the tires.

Three things are required to perform a tire registration.

1. Source of air
2. Skill of adding/releasing air from the tires
3. Pressure guage

The steps are:

1. Adjust each tire pressure as follows (position relative to sitting in the car).
* Front Left 35 PSI
* Front Right 32 PSI
* Rear Right 29 PSI
* Rear Left 26 PSI

2. Start App and go to Setting/Debug panel and check the "Service" checkbox. Exit Settings menu and Service panel will be displayed.
9hot.png

3. Drive Leaf unit PSI values are updated. If the order is highest to lowest PSI then the tires are correctly registered skip to step 6.

4. If the pressures are not in high to low order then press the "Start Tire Reg" button. Confirm that pressures have been adjusted to the four required values. Confirm that you are ready to drive at or above 25 MPH for 3 or more minutes. Start driving.

5. In about 3 minutes the button should change from Yellow back to Green. During this time the dash tire pressure icon will be blinking. When registration is complete it will go away but after a few minutes will come back because the rear left tire has low pressure.

6. Adjust all tires back to spec (36 PSI) or whatever value you use.

Post here your results and which model year you have.

Tried it this morning on my 2011 and it worked as designed.

I'm probably going to take a less labor intensive route in the future though by simply marking each tire with RR, RF, etc. somewhere where it is normally not visible so I can keep track of what is where after each rotation and relate that to the display...

Turbo3 said:

For those interested, the part number for the TPMS is currently
40700-1LA0D

It was preceded by 40700-1LA0C, but might have also been 40700-1LA0A and/or 40700-1LA0B, but no guarantees.

I found one after market one for 65$ea at http://www.carid.com/nissan-leaf-tpms-sensors/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the part number for this one is OPA-LA0A, more info on other compatibility is listed here http://www.orotekusa.com/TPMSSensors.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has anyone had luck with non-oem sensors?
might be too early to ask this question.

Thanks for the info, jclemens. I didn't bother getting another set of TPMS for my winter wheels, but now that I can re-register them myself, I might do so.

Turbo3 said:
Worked perfectly this morning on my 2012 SV.
Here are the results after re-registering my TPMS sensors:

leafbatt.png

thankyouOB said:
what is this app?
i dont see it at itunes.
is it the original nissan app with an update?

It's Turbo3's LEAF Battery App for Android only so you won't find it at any of the 'stores'. There's a long thread about it plus Stoaty did a Wiki on it. He has a link with his sig.

Turbo3 said:
Since the Battery App displays the four tire pressures it is important that the tires' positions on the car be correctly registered so a low pressure tire can be correctly located without needing an external gauge.

Is there any other reason to do this than the display in the app? I am close enough to tire rotation/change and I will rather wait until after that.

The app is now called LEAF Spy, and is on the Google "Play Store"
for Android devices. The Lite version is free, to test that it works
on your Android phone/device and with your OBD dongle.

No real need to reset the tire sensor locations, but you can
whenever you feel like fussing with the Tire pressures.

Registering new sensors is nice to make the reading of
tire pressures work correctly, both for the car's warning
light, and for the app's displayed pressure values.

garygid said:
The app is now called LEAF Spy, and is on the Google "Play Store"

Thank you for the info. I already got it, the Pro version. I did not want to start a new tread about the tire registration function.

camasleaf said:
Turbo3 said:
Since the Battery App displays the four tire pressures it is important that the tires' positions on the car be correctly registered so a low pressure tire can be correctly located without needing an external gauge.

Is there any other reason to do this than the display in the app? I am close enough to tire rotation/change and I will rather wait until after that.
No, doing it just keeps the apps tire pressure numbers in sync with where the tires actually are on the Leaf. So if a pressure is low you know which tire needs air. Or if slowly decreasing, which one might have a nail in it.

I gave this a try on my 2012 Canadian model, and it appears that the car has stopped talking to the tire sensors. I tried the instructions on page one several times but the app doesn't pick up the tire pressures anymore and the low pressure warning light is on, on the dash even though I have reinflated the tires to 40 psi.

Does anybody have any ideas to how to get the air pressure units back online? If all else fails I am going to take it to the dealer and play dumb.

Paul

Bigboler said:
I gave this a try on my 2012 Canadian model, and it appears that the car has stopped talking to the tire sensors. I tried the instructions on page one several times but the app doesn't pick up the tire pressures anymore and the low pressure warning light is on, on the dash even though I have reinflated the tires to 40 psi.

Does anybody have any ideas to how to get the air pressure units back online? If all else fails I am going to take it to the dealer and play dumb.

Paul

Have you tried disconnecting the 12v battery for a few minutes? I'm not saying it will work, but we're able to clear quite a few error codes from memory this way, so it might.

If you have a charge timer set, you'll have to set it again when you reconnect the battery.

Once you start a tire registration you must complete it.

You will need to adjust your tire pressures back to the four unique values (35, 32, 29, 26). Then drive over 25 MPH until the registration completes. Don't go too fast or you might heat up the tires and take the pressures out of the range. You just need to keep driving until the Leaf sees each tire again. If not then recheck the pressures and try again.

Until you have non-zero registration values for all four tires you will get the tire warning light. It will not go away until the Leaf sees the tires during the registration window. Disconnecting the battery is not likely to help unless Nissan has stored the previous tire registration numbers.

Bigboler and Turbo, I am having the same issue. Were you able to solve the problem? One thing that I did do wrong at first was that I canceled the registration the first time I started it because the tires were not set to the right pressure. After the cancellation I set the tires correctly and followed the instructions. When I hit the button to register the lights on the dash blink and after a couple of minutes they stop flashing but remain on (they do not turn off and then turn back on due to the low pressure) and the app button goes to green but no pressure are listed.

The problem is mine. (Wrong, read later posts. No problem with app.)

I assume you both are using the latest v0.28.12 version which supports reading the SOH value. Reading SOH is interfering with the Tire Registration operation.

Reading SOH is done on a timer basis about once per minute. This should be disabled while Tire Registration is being done or it will terminate the operation leading to what you are both seeing.

I will make a quick release (0.28.13) where I disable reading SOH while on the Service menu and then later today retest Tire Registration on my Leaf to be sure it still works.

Jim

Just took a second look at my code and what I thought was happening can't happen.

Although there is a timer to enable reading SOH there is also a scheduler that will not let it happen while any Service menu operation is going on.

So I suggest waiting to retry Tire Registration until I have verified it is working as designed. I will also add a message to the app to make it clear if the registration completed normally or failed.

I will try to get it retested tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

Just completed testing Tire Registration function. Did it three times. Twice with 0.28.13 and then again taking out the quick fix to 0.28.13 (basically back to 0.28.12) that was not needed and did nothing. Below is a screenshot after a successful registration. The first number under the start button changes from "0" to "f0" when it is successful. If it stays zero it failed. The second number changes to "1" while the registration is in process and changes to "2" when it is successful. It will go to "4" if it fails.

The step numbers (to the right of the Connected message) should cycle between 92,93,94 while the registration is in process. If not then let me know as that should not happen. Those three steps request tire registration status (the two number below button), tire registration numbers and the tire pressures. It should stay in that loop until status indicates completion (good or bad).

So bottom line is I don't see any issue with either 0.28.12 or 0.28.13.

Before you started tire registration do you recall what tire pressures the app reported? Were they similar to what you see on the second screenshot (order is probably different or you would not be doing a tire registration)?

Note that after a successful registration the tire warning light will come back on because the rear left tire is too low. You will also get a message to check tire pressure.

18od.png

20jl.png

Alright problem solved. I did two things differently, the first and the most probable cause was that the tire gauge that I used was incorrect by about 2-3 pounds I found out by using a second gauge. When I rechecked I noticed that they were not matching so I set the pressures up with the second gauge. The second thing I did was use a different phone to do the registration but I don't think this was the cause since the first phone was able to connect once I completed the registration. Everything is good to go, I even used the app to set my tire pressures to be more accurate. Sorry for the extra work, Turbo.

marccbr said:
Alright problem solved. I did two things differently, the first and the most probable cause was that the tire gauge that I used was incorrect by about 2-3 pounds I found out by using a second gauge. When I rechecked I noticed that they were not matching so I set the pressures up with the second gauge. The second thing I did was use a different phone to do the registration but I don't think this was the cause since the first phone was able to connect once I completed the registration. Everything is good to go, I even used the app to set my tire pressures to be more accurate. Sorry for the extra work, Turbo.
No problem. Glade you got it working.

I needed to revisit the code anyway. I will be improving the status messages during and after tire registration. The two numbers under the button were just meant for debug so I could see what the values were during the operation.

The hard part is getting the tire pressures adjusted right. The actual code that triggers it is just a single command. I went off in the wrong direction this morning with the "quick fix" because it looked like two people were having the same problem and the SOH reading code was a major change to the command sending routine. Sometimes the code is smarter than I remember and what I thought was happening (reading SOH during registration) could not have happen.

The newly released code does include a fix for displaying EV/HEV DTC values from 2011 and I think 2012 Leafs. Nissan for some reason used a different command and response format for the EV(VCM) control unit than for any of other 14 control units in the Leaf.

Back