Stand alone OBC/PDModule EV system Can 2015 - SOLVED

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@49thdiver: Anchors away for me now ;-)

Good luck getting yours to work, how the messages help
Seen you video cool project working on.

TrueSoln said:
PDM #390: AC Voltage Detected: NoSignalQC
BMU 1DB: Voltage 375; KW 0; SOC 42;

PDM #390: AC Voltage Detected: 200V
BMU 1DB: Voltage 375; KW 6; SOC 48;

That's from decoding the 390 and 1DB messages
Can see SOC gone from 42 to 48 on leaf battery plugged in
And #390 message showing detected 200V input

I cant leave charging two long as no pluming setup and don't want to cook the inverter

Need to check logic for 0x55a Inverter Message
It has Temp readings for and got these values
Motor: 17 'c
Inverter:15 'c
IGBT:16'c
IGBT DRIVE:17'c

Curious question :D , The SOC is updating on the battery standalone? :shock:

mafify said:
Curious question :D , The SOC is updating on the battery standalone? :shock:

The SOC and SOH comes from the BMU that's inside HV battery.
Lots people make up small loom to power it up and get can messages.

If you google will find wiring info to connect an odb2 plug to it and use leaf spy if wanted

@mafify this example of cable but easy to make if have plugs. Lots info about on pin outs

https://evsenhanced.com/product/obd2-to-leaf-battery-adapter/

Round plug is different between Gen 1 and gen 2

TrueSoln said:
@mafify this example of cable but easy to make if have plugs. Lots info about on pin outs

https://evsenhanced.com/product/obd2-to-leaf-battery-adapter/

Round plug is different between Gen 1 and gen 2

I am getting the 55B messages from the BMS already, but it doesn't update. That is my main issue. Tried to send 50B, 1F2, 1D4, 11A and 50C.
What I think is there is a certain msg from the VCM that keep the BMS updating values

Only worked on the 24kWh but no response from the AZE01 30,40 and 62 kWh.

dala is helping me so far in that thread: https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=611329#p611329

mafify said:
I am getting the 55B messages from the BMS already,
but it doesn't update.

What I think is there is a certain msg from the VCM that keep the BMS updating values

My battery is on its own Can bus line so only reading info from it
Nothing sent to it and SOC updates go up as battery charges is what im seeing

You may find need to charge some time to get a SOC change
But kw value changed when power getting to it so can look for that.

I dont have a NISSAN VCM so nothing keeping any values
Just a battery on own CAN line,
With Motor, Inverter, PDM/OBC

Did you check you have all wiring correct
Pin 29 & 30 going to correct pins on the charger port
I put info back a few pages
https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30915&start=120

TrueSoln said:
mafify said:
I am getting the 55B messages from the BMS already,
but it doesn't update.

My battery is on its own Can bus line so only reading info from it
Nothing sent to it and SOC updates go up as battery charges is what im seeing

You may find need to charge some time to get a SOC change
But kw value changed when power getting to it so can look for that.

I dont have a NISSAN VCM so nothing keeping any values
Just a battery on own CAN line,
With Motor, Inverter, PDM/OBC

Did you check you have all wiring correct
Pin 29 & 30 going to correct pins on the charger port
I put info back a few pages
https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30915&start=120

So a quick recap, I have 24, 30, 40 and 62 kWh packs. when I send the 50B wake up signal , I can make SOC updates on only 24 and 30 kWh. It failed on the 40 and 62 kWh and I both backs are a ZE1 2018+ model

Also, for me to see the SOC update, I have a discharge and charge system at 20 Amp which can change the SOC in very high range. I can see the voltage updates as expected

Another question too :D . So I only have the +IGN and the +12 to power the BMS. 3 relays which is Neg, Pos, Pre and 1 ground. last is the CAN H and CAN L. To charge and discharge the battery, there is a high terminal connected to the system that discharge and charge the battery.
I can't use this two pins as you mentioned with the charger port because there is no one :( . what do they actually does, do they tell the BMS that battery is charging? :shock:

mafify said:
I can't use this two pins as you mentioned with the charger port because there is no one

Think they are can bus messages from charger plugged in to port.
Won't work with out

TrueSoln said:
mafify said:
I can't use this two pins as you mentioned with the charger port because there is no one

Think they are can bus messages from charger plugged in to port.
Won't work with out

so, it's another CAN interface from the charger to the BMS, So I need another CAN interface to flow data in these two pins to get updates than :idea:

TrueSoln said:
This is the messages that I used to get my Gen2 Leaf PDM/OBC to start charging a battery
HV battery leads where connected to the charger, but HV battery message where not passed on
And you can use the Inverter messages to know when working if you decode them.

This sounds great just wondering about the 10ms and 100ms timing:

I have recorded similar 390/393 messages on a working leaf.
My recordings of 50B & 11A are the same
My recordings of 1F2, 1DC,1D4 are different
My recordings of 1DB are similar
5BC is also different
I note that you are using the same msg as Jack Bauer except for 11A & 1DB

See questions below regarding timing.
for clarity do you send the groups of 4 each 10ms or 100ms ie at 10ms,11ms,12ms,13ms and 101ms,102ms,103ms,104ms or one of the group at each 10ms or 100ms interval

Hoping to continue testing on my setup this weekend. Good luck with the boating.
Certainly what you have offered is exciting news.
With thanks.

Make a function that goes off every 10ms

Then you send first message in pattern.
Next time after 10ms send second message in pattern.

Do that for all 4 then start at first again.

In the 10ms function.
You can send 1 from each of the patterns at that time.

Then you need same setup for the 100ms patterns

Thanks been working on it this morning, just working on testing that the output looks right and will then test on charger any moment now. Thanks for your input you have confirmed my thoughts.
As I am re-writing the code I have only found some minor changes in the message content.
Fingers crossed.

@TrueSoln
Very Close now.
Relays in the PDM are clicking in a rhythmical sequence attempting to connect and charge.
I have never had it do this before, very exciting. :p
I will be checking msg data again looking for an error or sequencing issue.
It may be Sunday before I can get back to it.
Hopefully you have not been waiting on me and have been able to get out in the boat. :cool:
Video !!

Peter

49thdiver said:
@TrueSoln
Very Close now.
Relays in the PDM are clicking in a rhythmical sequence attempting to connect and charge.
I have never had it do this before, very exciting. :p

Keep going, sounds like you close.

49thdiver said:
@TrueSoln
Hopefully you have not been waiting on me and have been able to get out in the boat.

@49thdiver im just updating my controller to work with my mobile phone app so can monitor data
Need to see temp, torque, rpm and KW bat using
So we can see what speed best to run at and work out the range

Hope to try new interface tomorrow

Very interested in the torque, rpm, speed/range as I understand that the hydro-dynamics of pushing water vs spinning wheels is very different. I have heard one "marine expert" suggest that high thrust at low rpm is not as efficient as piston engines. I am a boater sporting twin 50's on a 17ft aluminum catamaran hull, would love to switch to electric. Back to reviewing the code for the charger at the moment very excited to have got some relay action in the PDM/OBC.

@TrueSoln
False alarm, relays were not clicking because of my code.
I had forgotten to disconnect the canbus to the VCM, my code was interfering with the VCM trying to start charging. Frustrating to be so close but so far.
I am back to analyzing the recordings of it working with the VCM (whole car) connected.
I am using the Kvaser data base as a reference to eliminate as you have done unneeded inverter and AC commands. Due to the charge voltage and current there is a lot of variation in the command content. The details slowly drive you crazy.
Stay tuned, Peter

49thdiver said:
False alarm, relays were not clicking because of my code.

Have you checked your wiring,
a) Power to Pin 18 & 19
b) CAN is 11 & 27
c) 29 and 30 need to be connected to the port plugging the ac charger in to as its can lines also
(You sure you ac home charger working, i had a left also at home to make sure of that)
e) The main Aux 12Vbattery needs the GND and 12V leads connect from OBC/PDM and battery

This is the pin out for Plug F23 for older Gen2
uc

The connector pinout drawings in the FSM are numbered when viewed from the back side where the wires enter, not from the front as shown in your photos next to the drawings.

nlspace said:
The connector pinout drawings in the FSM are numbered when viewed from the back side where the wires enter, not from the front as shown in your photos next to the drawings.

That's correct the diagram is harness side or H.S. as indicated on the drawing in the manual. You can see from the photo of the connector that the diagram is the mirror. We would not have got this far with the connector being backwards ;) but certainly a good tip for those watching.

Back