2016 30 kWh Battery data

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suggest you look at battery statistics for my 2019 SL Plus in Phoenix before you completely give up consideration of another LEAF (see posts in the 62 kWh battery thread). I have over 35,000 miles and two full years of use in Phoenix, AZ climate and still have 93% of original battery capacity.

johnlocke said:
cwerdna said:
johnlocke said:
Nothing else I've looked at has enough advantages to beat a Y.
Besides the Y being a non-starter for me since it addresses none of my issues with w/the 3, having no need for an SUV and finding the Y ugly, it's a reliability disaster at https://web.archive.org/web/20201126141633/https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/who-makes-the-most-reliable-cars/. And, it costs more than the 3, to boot. I have online access to CR and its score remains the same. I refrain from buying cars w/worse than average reliability unless there's a really good reason, but that far down is really bad.

And, as some people discovered, if you try "ordering" one now at https://www.tesla.com/modely/design#overview, ETA for LR Y is January 2022. The wait is shorter if you choose performance, which costs $7K extra.
I wasn't suggesting that the Y was the best solution for everyone, only that best fit my needs. I understand that Tesla has fit and finish issues. I also understand that it has a very high owner satisfaction rating. As to reliability ratings, I'll take an EV over ICE any day. Not all problems are equal. A broken door handle is not equal to a broken transmission. Sloppy interior trim is not equal to an engine oil leak. Consumer Reports tends to treat all problems equally. If the majority of problems are "fit and finish" issues rather then mechanical failures, that's a different kind of problem. Whether I can drive the car or not is my idea of reliability. Will it last for 200,000 mi? How often will it need major repairs?

Yes, the current wait time between ordering and delivery is ridiculous. On the other hand, if they are selling them as fast as they can make them then they must be doing something right. Also, in case you hadn't noticed, Tesla is building two new factories to handle that demand. In six months or so those factories will be online and double Tesla's production rate. That should eliminate most of the delivery delays.
Sounds like you already drank the kool-aid or made up your mind. Grass is "always" greener on the other side? Go look at how well other Teslas have held up over time esp before reaching 200K miles. The results aren't very promising. I will try to respond to the rest of your post when I have more time.

Just because a car's an EV doesn't automatically make it reliable.

Here's another concerning thing and it seems like something Tesla could fix via a software update, but hasn't for whatever reason. I recall SalisburySam previously sang the praises of his Tesla here.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/phantom-braking-still-an-issue.175503/page-7#post-5260747
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/cruise-control-adjusting-the-following-distance.209298/page-2#post-5769690
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/possible-to-deactivate-tacc-and-use-regular-dumb-cruise-control-phantom-braking-unexpected-slowdowns.235813/#post-5768712

GerryAZ said:
I suggest you look at battery statistics for my 2019 SL Plus in Phoenix before you completely give up consideration of another LEAF (see posts in the 62 kWh battery thread). I have over 35,000 miles and two full years of use in Phoenix, AZ climate and still have 93% of original battery capacity.
It's more "I don't trust Nissan" than "i'm worried the the battery will crap out just after the warranty expires." I bought Nissan's for over 30 years. A Stanza. a pick up truck, two Maxima's and the Leaf. I even once worked at a Nissan Dealer. Their attitude on the Leaf has soured me. The lack of effort to fix the battery issues or even honor the warranty in some cases really put me off. I'd rather put my money behind a company that makes the effort to do right by the customer rather than point at misleading or vague clauses in the warranty. The Ariya has the features I want and seems to be priced competitively but I just don't trust Nissan not to hang me out to dry if it suits their needs.

cwerdna said:
johnlocke said:
cwerdna said:
Besides the Y being a non-starter for me since it addresses none of my issues with w/the 3, having no need for an SUV and finding the Y ugly, it's a reliability disaster at https://web.archive.org/web/20201126141633/https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/who-makes-the-most-reliable-cars/. And, it costs more than the 3, to boot. I have online access to CR and its score remains the same. I refrain from buying cars w/worse than average reliability unless there's a really good reason, but that far down is really bad.

And, as some people discovered, if you try "ordering" one now at https://www.tesla.com/modely/design#overview, ETA for LR Y is January 2022. The wait is shorter if you choose performance, which costs $7K extra.
I wasn't suggesting that the Y was the best solution for everyone, only that best fit my needs. I understand that Tesla has fit and finish issues. I also understand that it has a very high owner satisfaction rating. As to reliability ratings, I'll take an EV over ICE any day. Not all problems are equal. A broken door handle is not equal to a broken transmission. Sloppy interior trim is not equal to an engine oil leak. Consumer Reports tends to treat all problems equally. If the majority of problems are "fit and finish" issues rather then mechanical failures, that's a different kind of problem. Whether I can drive the car or not is my idea of reliability. Will it last for 200,000 mi? How often will it need major repairs?

Yes, the current wait time between ordering and delivery is ridiculous. On the other hand, if they are selling them as fast as they can make them then they must be doing something right. Also, in case you hadn't noticed, Tesla is building two new factories to handle that demand. In six months or so those factories will be online and double Tesla's production rate. That should eliminate most of the delivery delays.
Sounds like you already drank the kool-aid or made up your mind. Grass is "always" greener on the other side? Go look at how well other Teslas have held up over time esp before reaching 200K miles. The results aren't very promising. I will try to respond to the rest of your post when I have more time.

Just because a car's an EV doesn't automatically make it reliable.

Here's another concerning thing and it seems like something Tesla could fix via a software update, but hasn't for whatever reason. I recall SalisburySam previously sang the praises of his Tesla here.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/phantom-braking-still-an-issue.175503/page-7#post-5260747
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/cruise-control-adjusting-the-following-distance.209298/page-2#post-5769690
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/possible-to-deactivate-tacc-and-use-regular-dumb-cruise-control-phantom-braking-unexpected-slowdowns.235813/#post-5768712
OK, I get it. You don't like Tesla. I do. Neither one of us is likely to change their minds. End of story.

johnlocke said:
It's more "I don't trust Nissan" than "i'm worried the the battery will crap out just after the warranty expires." I bought Nissan's for over 30 years. A Stanza. a pick up truck, two Maxima's and the Leaf. I even once worked at a Nissan Dealer. Their attitude on the Leaf has soured me. The lack of effort to fix the battery issues or even honor the warranty in some cases really put me off. I'd rather put my money behind a company that makes the effort to do right by the customer rather than point at misleading or vague clauses in the warranty. The Ariya has the features I want and seems to be priced competitively but I just don't trust Nissan not to hang me out to dry if it suits their needs.
I don't blame you too much about the attitude. That said, I'm not sure what you want in terms of effort "to fix the battery issues". Obviously, it seems like the 30 kWh batteries were a dud (and discontinued) but the 40 kWh batteries seem to be holding up pretty well, so far. 62 kWh ones are a bit too new but seem to be doing ok, so far. The "lizard" pack was better than the "wolf" pack (as Leftie terms it). And, that was battery than the crap "canary" packs (another Leftie term).

As for not honoring the warranty in some cases, those seem like rare exceptions. I can't think of any a case where someone at 8 or lower capacity bars before the warranty expired either by time or mileage AND brought to a Nissan dealer service dept for verification in time that was denied in the end. Yes, there are a few where the dealer service dept or advisor doesn't know what they're doing. For those past it, sure, it's been YMMV.

Yes, active cooling would've been nice and the lack of it at all on Leaf has been mystifying. At least Ariya addresses the cooling part but the car's late.

cwerdna said:
johnlocke said:
I don't blame you too much about the attitude. That said, I'm not sure what you want in terms of effort "to fix the battery issues". Obviously, it seems like the 30 kWh batteries were a dud (and discontinued) but the 40 kWh batteries seem to be holding up pretty well, so far. 62 kWh ones are a bit too new but seem to be doing ok, so far. The "lizard" pack was better than the "wolf" pack (as Leftie terms it). And, that was battery than the crap "canary" packs (another Leftie term).

As for not honoring the warranty in some cases, those seem like rare exceptions. I can't think of any a case where someone at 8 or lower capacity bars before the warranty expired either by time or mileage AND brought to a Nissan dealer service dept for verification in time that was denied in the end. Yes, there are a few where the dealer service dept or advisor doesn't know what they're doing. For those past it, sure, it's been YMMV.

Yes, active cooling would've been nice and the lack of it at all on Leaf has been mystifying. At least Ariya addresses the cooling part but the car's late.
Nissan has done nothing to help anyone with an expired warranty despite clear evidence of problems with battery degradation going back to the 2011 model. They have never offered any any way to upgrade to the higher capacity batteries in older Leafs. I understand that it might not be in Nissan's interest to upgrade a car vs selling you a new one but it would have done wonders for their customer relations. Even if it were priced to discourage you from doing so, it would have been an option for those who really liked their Leaf. Instead we have third parties doing conversions with salvaged batteries after Nissan flatly stated that it couldn't be done at all. Most of those people would have gladly paid Nissan to do a battery swap. All of this has contributed to Leafs having among the lowest resale values and highest depreciation of any EV. Yet another slap in the face for owners.

johnlocke said:
Nissan has done nothing to help anyone with an expired warranty despite clear evidence of problems with battery degradation going back to the 2011 model.
They did. In some cases (and there are numerous posts and threads of it), Nissan was willing to cover part of the cost (I recall some 50% cases). There might've been even a few cases where it was even higher or completely, even though it was past the 5 year/60K capacity warranty that came about due to the Klee vs. Nissan class action lawsuit.

Unfortunately, that all ended years ago quietly, just as quietly as it began.
johnlocke said:
They have never offered any any way to upgrade to the higher capacity batteries in older Leafs. I understand that it might not be in Nissan's interest to upgrade a car vs selling you a new one but it would have done wonders for their customer relations. Even if it were priced to discourage you from doing so, it would have been an option for those who really liked their Leaf. Instead we have third parties doing conversions with salvaged batteries after Nissan flatly stated that it couldn't be done at all.
That is true, which is rather silly. Nissan knows the demand is there (how much is a question). I've been at an EVent w/a Nissan rep from US HQ speaking where that ask was made which he definitely heard and responded to in front of everyone.

Sept 3, 2021 update. 272 GID's, SOH=74.94%, Hx=46.16%. 90240 total miles, 45311 miles on new battery, 150 L3 total, 36 on new battery, 1855 l2 total, 981 on new battery. I only drove 590 mi this month. I'm down to a 24KWH battery at this point. Still at 10 bars. The next bar should drop at about 70%. At the rate I'm going that will happen at about 95000 miles.

On a different note, the Model 3 is now available with LFP batteries. The useful life of LFP is 2-3 times longer then NCA. I had ruled out the 3 SR+ because the range would deteriorate faster than I would have liked but with the LFP battery that's no longer true. I assume that the Y will be available with an LFP option sooner or later as well. With a lower price than the current Y long range, it might be the perfect fit. With the LFP battery, vehicle to grid becomes a useful option for power outages or even TOU load balancing. Come home in the afternoon, plug in the car and run off its battery while rates are high. After Midnight, charge the battery back up at the lowest TOU rate for the next day. You could cycle the battery that way for 10-12 years before you would need to replace it. The money you'd save on electricity would probably pay for the new battery and then some. The Tesla Powerwall Control unit without the battery could handle the switching and control the charging or add a single battery pack (13KWH) to the Powerwall for full redundancy and add the car's LFP for extended outages.

johnlocke said:
Nissan has done nothing to help anyone with an expired warranty despite clear evidence of problems with battery degradation going back to the 2011 model. They have never offered any any way to upgrade to the higher capacity batteries in older Leafs. I understand that it might not be in Nissan's interest to upgrade a car vs selling you a new one but it would have done wonders for their customer relations. Even if it were priced to discourage you from doing so, it would have been an option for those who really liked their Leaf. Instead we have third parties doing conversions with salvaged batteries after Nissan flatly stated that it couldn't be done at all. Most of those people would have gladly paid Nissan to do a battery swap. All of this has contributed to Leafs having among the lowest resale values and highest depreciation of any EV. Yet another slap in the face for owners.

It's not only a Nissan problem. Taxes on a car depends on the power of the car and, in spain, there is a specific procedure for EV that is strongly influenced on the battery capacity + C => changing the battery change the homologation data of the car (sadly). I suppose they prefer to sell a new model than have to follow all the procedure for car homologation (that is super costly and complex).
Only some few nations in EU have a clear and accessible process for retrofit... probably there battery upgrade is more simple.... but not in Spain.

On a sad note, I have to report that I crashed my Leaf yesterday in a rainstorm. Airbags deployed, front end crushed. Most likely totaled. I walked away. Now I have to replace it. Tesla is on a six month backorder, the LFP battery option is gone (talked to Tesla last night). The ID4 is not in stock currently, the Ionic is delayed to next year, and even Leafs are in short supply. The Aptera isn't scheduled for production until next year. I seem to be stuck on a SL+ as the only viable option due to cost constraints. With $11,000 in rebates and tax incentives, I'm finding it difficult to pass up. With a 60KWH battery, battery degradation is less of a concern and I don't plan on taking any long trips in it so charging rate isn't an issue. If I get a decent settlement from the insurance company, I might only need $20K financed after the rebates. It's not the car I wanted but it is the car I can get. It does leave a taste in the mouth but seems to to be my only real choice. I might do a 24 mo. lease but seems like money down the drain.

johnlocke said:
On a sad note, I have to report that I crashed my Leaf yesterday in a rainstorm. Airbags deployed, front end crushed. Most likely totaled. I walked away. Now I have to replace it. Tesla is on a six month backorder, the LFP battery option is gone (talked to Tesla last night). The ID4 is not in stock currently, the Ionic is delayed to next year, and even Leafs are in short supply. The Aptera isn't scheduled for production until next year. I seem to be stuck on a SL+ as the only viable option due to cost constraints. With $11,000 in rebates and tax incentives, I'm finding it difficult to pass up. With a 60KWH battery, battery degradation is less of a concern and I don't plan on taking any long trips in it so charging rate isn't an issue. If I get a decent settlement from the insurance company, I might only need $20K financed after the rebates. It's not the car I wanted but it is the car I can get. It does leave a taste in the mouth but seems to to be my only real choice. I might do a 24 mo. lease but seems like money down the drain.

so sad, BTW sharing the frontal foto I can say you if you can rebuild frontal in a cheap way. I rebuild a totaled leaf 40 with airbag deployed for really cheap looking for alternative spare parts. I can give you some hint, but probably in another thread

johnlocke said:
On a sad note, I have to report that I crashed my Leaf yesterday in a rainstorm. Airbags deployed, front end crushed. Most likely totaled. I walked away.

I'm glad you are OK.

The one alternative you might consider is the Ford Mustang Mach E.

WetEV said:
johnlocke said:
On a sad note, I have to report that I crashed my Leaf yesterday in a rainstorm. Airbags deployed, front end crushed. Most likely totaled. I walked away.

I'm glad you are OK.

The one alternative you might consider is the Ford Mustang Mach E.
I looked at the Mustang but it is backordered 5-6 mo. as well. Also it's about 8 grand more when equipped similarly to the SL+.

johnlocke said:

That's terrible! Glad to hear that you were able to walk away. :(

This is such a bad time to be buying vehicles too (low supply + high demand makes even used cars expensive). How about an electric scooter for the commutes until your preferred vehicle is ready for pick up?

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
johnlocke said:

That's terrible! Glad to hear that you were able to walk away. :(

This is such a bad time to be buying vehicles too (low supply + high demand makes even used cars expensive). How about an electric scooter for the commutes until your preferred vehicle is ready for pick up?
It's nearly the start of rainy season here in SOCAL. Cold and wet is not my idea of a good time anymore, Also I have to transport my disabled son to and from his program. The Aptera would have worked nicely for that. After all the rebates and tax credits plus the insurance settlement, I can upgrade to a new SL+ for less than $20K. That's significantly cheaper than I could do for a M3SR+ If I could even get one. Driving my pickup for 6 mo. is a possibility but I really need a car.

Geico totaled my Leaf yesterday. I expect the check in a few days. I've got a reservation in on an SL+. Given the current market for used cars, I plan on buying a new SL+ rather than trying to replace my old Leaf. At $16K for a '16 leaf and $20K for an '18 Leaf with the 40KWH battery VS $29K after rebates on a new 60KWH SL+, I think it makes more sense to buy new and get the 8 yr. battery warranty that comes with it. The rebates tip the scales to the Leaf especially since the wait for a Tesla is up to 6 months now.

JTim said:
JTim said:
JTim said:
2nd bar lost [10 Battery Capacity Bars Remaining]

11/2/17
ODO 10,367
Ah=54.54 (climbed to 58.25 after driving)
SOH=73%
GIDs=257
HX=72.99
14 QCs, 276 L1/L2 [10 Capacity Bars]

-J.Tim

NOTE: Message at 5/2/19 was incorrect. I did NOT drop to 10 bars at that point, but I have now.

12/28/19 10 Bars

Gids 21
SGids 253
EGids 262
AHr 61.831
SOH 77.82 %
Hx 52.13
L1/L2 599
QC 24

3rd Battery Capacity bar gone
8 July 2021
Gids 9
AHr 57.265
Hx 42.76
SOH 72.05%
L1/L2 769
QC 32

Note that my car sat at 52% for over a month while I was on vacation in a garage (it was close to 5-6% loss traction battery when I returned somewhere around 45% I remember). I feel that had an effect on the loss in the Texas heat.

I swear, after returning after a month of driving gas again, it was like re-learning the car, and remember how incredibly comfortable it is. Nicely done design, Nissan. Now about that battery...?

-J.Tim

4th Battery Capacity bar gone
ODO 38,822
29 October 2022

Leafspy quit when my Ipad died 2021 (Ironically, that was October as well. Huh.)
Gids ??
AHr ??
Hx ??
SOH ??
L1/L2 ??
QC ??

-J.TIm

JTim said:
JTim said:
JTim said:
NOTE: Message at 5/2/19 was incorrect. I did NOT drop to 10 bars at that point, but I have now.

12/28/19 10 Bars

Gids 21
SGids 253
EGids 262
AHr 61.831
SOH 77.82 %
Hx 52.13
L1/L2 599
QC 24

8 July 2021
Gids 9
AHr 57.265
Hx 42.76
SOH 72.05%
L1/L2 769
QC 32

Note that my car sat at 52% for over a month while I was on vacation in a garage (it was close to 5-6% loss traction battery when I returned somewhere around 45% I remember). I feel that had an effect on the loss in the Texas heat.

I swear, after returning after a month of driving gas again, it was like re-learning the car, and remember how incredibly comfortable it is. Nicely done design, Nissan. Now about that battery...?

-J.Tim

ODO 38,822
29 October 2022

Leafspy quit when my Ipad died 2021 (Ironically, that was October as well. Huh.)
Gids ??
AHr ??
Hx ??
SOH ??
L1/L2 ??
QC ??

-J.TIm

5th Capacity Bar gone
42,788 miles
19 July 2023

Charging now every day due to capacity loss. Texas heat was 109 with heat index yesterday. Interior of car registered 120 degrees! Purchased December 10, 2015 so this Dec should be 8 years but I think I need to lose one more battery capacity bar to qualify for warranty replacement.

Despite all all, I still love how quiet the car is, how cheap it is to charge (a total of $100 or there-abouts in 2022 for EvGo quickcharging), and how practical it is for town driving. Also the near-minimal maintenance. The most I've spent is about 1000 or so dollars for all the tires replaced. I only take it in for the yearly check for the battery and do everything else at that time.

Biggest complaint: I live in an apartment with only 110 wall plug so limited to quick charging only. I usually charge to 80 percent to 85 percent, but with air conditioning that lowers SOC quickly.

-J.Tim

JTim said:
JTim said:
JTim said:
8 July 2021
Gids 9
AHr 57.265
Hx 42.76
SOH 72.05%
L1/L2 769
QC 32

-J.Tim

ODO 38,822
29 October 2022

Gids ??
AHr ??
Hx ??
SOH ??
L1/L2 ??
QC ??

-J.TIm

5th Capacity Bar gone
42,788 miles
19 July 2023

Charging now every day due to capacity loss. Texas heat was 109 with heat index yesterday. Interior of car registered 120 degrees! Purchased December 10, 2015 so this Dec should be 8 years but I think I need to lose one more battery capacity bar to qualify for warranty replacement.

Despite all all, I still love how quiet the car is, how cheap it is to charge (a total of $100 or there-abouts in 2022 for EvGo quickcharging), and how practical it is for town driving. Also the near-minimal maintenance. The most I've spent is about 1000 or so dollars for all the tires replaced. I only take it in for the yearly check for the battery and do everything else at that time.

Biggest complaint: I live in an apartment with only 110 wall plug so limited to quick charging only. I usually charge to 80 percent to 85 percent, but with air conditioning that lowers SOC quickly.

-J.Tim

You should already qualify as soon as the 4th bar was lost (representing remaining SOH of under 66%). You might want to file that warranty claim before the 8y limit is reached (they might claim it's against date of manufacture and NOT when you bought it).

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
You should already qualify as soon as the 4th bar was lost (representing remaining SOH of under 66%). You might want to file that warranty claim before the 8y limit is reached (they might claim it's against date of manufacture and NOT when you bought it).

Yes, don't wait another second to get this into the dealer and get in line for a battery replacement. The situation with battery replacements is ridiculous right now, and it remains to be seen if Nissan will actually ever deliver batteries for warranty replacement, so you'd rather be higher up on the list if there are any batteries to be had.

And don't worry about date of manufacture. The Nissan warranty booklet clearly states warranty runs from the date delivered to first retail purchaser:

THE WARRANTY BEGINS

The warranty period begins on the date the vehicle is delivered to the first retail buyer or put into use, which- ever is earlier.

Back