baumgrenze
Delivery Date: 07 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16273

Re: Powerline Adapter - Make & Model

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:19 pm

Just to close up this thread from my perspective:

Ecotality replaced my Blink. They concluded that the meter in the original was bad. The Sprig Electric tech got authorization to install powerline adapters (AHPE-303's) and a Cisco Valet wireless router. The unit is on an outside wall. The Valet communicates just fine through 5/8" of plywood exterior paneling on the garage, so Blink's wireless does work at very close range.

I join Valdemar in asking if I can plug in another powerline model, even manufacturer, of adapter and expect the 'master' that is connected to my main wireless router to provide another powerline connection? Any idea which are the 'critical' specs, I see a list of cryptically named modulation schemes under 'ethernet port' and some IEEE standard numbers. Is the chipset critical?
Thanks,

baumgrenze

2012 Glacier Pearl

EVDRIVER

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:27 pm

How many Blink related threads are there now? I really think everything can be in one Blink thread as they all tend to come full circle. Perhaps an entire forum on the Blink? Let's limit all these Blink threads to two. I have a Blink that works and I have one that does not. My guess is the latter will suffice 90% of posters and those searching.

davewill

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:29 pm

That's the idea, that any adapter that conforms to the "HomePlug AV Standard" should interoperate...but I'd probably just buy the same model to simplify things.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

Valdemar
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:53 pm

davewill wrote:That's the idea, that any adapter that conforms to the "HomePlug AV Standard" should interoperate...but I'd probably just buy the same model to simplify things.
I didn't investigate compatibility issues deep enough but it seems it may be necessary to configure all adapters to share the same encryption key, and as far as I understand if all adapters are from the same manufacturer they should be preset to the same key so in such case no additional configuration is necessary as long as you're not worried that your neighbor has the same kind of adapter and can access your network.

baumgrenze
Delivery Date: 07 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16273

Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:20 pm

I would not have asked about the powerline adapters, but I quickly learned that the Alfa AHPE303 has been discontinued and that only the AHPE305 is available. I'll take my chances that the same manufacturer should be compatible. It is a shame, however, as the price for a pair went up from $40 to $60 with the number change.
Thanks,

baumgrenze

2012 Glacier Pearl

Return to “Blink”