baumgrenze
Delivery Date: 07 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16273

Powerline Adapter - Make & Model

Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:13 pm

Has anyone had the powerline adapter solution applied to their Blink?

If so, what Make and Model# did Ecotality install?

Are you pleased with the way it works?

Ecotality seems convinced that my MR814v2 signal is too weak for the Blink. Nevertheless, when I run the Network Setup: Connection Test I get all positive results. On the Device Information page I learn this, (as of 4:56, Thursday, 12/15/11)

Firmware Version
L2R.1.6A, 035A, 1.2, 1.10

EVSE Activated
Yes

Last Network Transmission
4:54 PM Nov 28 2011 [WIFI]

CDMA Active
No

System Uptime
17 days, 0 hrs, 56 min

It appears that the unit has not sent a network transmission since it was installed. Nevertheless it has been 'up' the entire time and has faultlessly charged the Leaf.

I got an email from support in which the powerline adapter approach (PLC - Valet combo) was raised. It contained this sentence. "Considering that your unit does not have a CDMA modem, we need to consider other options to resolve your network connectivity issue." I thought that every Blink came equipped with a CDMA modem, but that turning it on, establishing an account for it, was the issue.

thanks,

baumgrenze
Thanks,

baumgrenze

2012 Glacier Pearl

Volusiano
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011

Re: Powerline Adapter - Make & Model

Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:56 am

The one Blink gave me is the Alfa Network model Home Plug AV 200M. It's been working fine. They came back and installed it themselves.

It's interesting that your network connection test passes but your Blink is not transmitting successfully. You'd think that the transmission would be part of the test.

But it looks like your firmware is way behind, evident that you don't have a good connection to receive new firmware updates. It's been updated to 1.8 recently, and has been at 1.7 for a long time already.

baumgrenze

Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:38 am

Thanks for the input.

My guess is that the firmware is the installed default. Why that does not get updated is anyone's guess. Note that this Blink was delivered and installed on 11/28/11, less than a month ago. One would think that it should be an installer's responsibility to make certain that the most recent firmware was installed, no?

baumgrenze
Thanks,

baumgrenze

2012 Glacier Pearl

linkim

Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:47 am

Volusiano wrote:The one Blink gave me is the Alfa Network model Home Plug AV 200M. It's been working fine. They came back and installed it themselves.

It's interesting that your network connection test passes but your Blink is not transmitting successfully. You'd think that the transmission would be part of the test.

But it looks like your firmware is way behind, evident that you don't have a good connection to receive new firmware updates. It's been updated to 1.8 recently, and has been at 1.7 for a long time already.
baumgrenze wrote:Has anyone had the powerline adapter solution applied to their Blink?

If so, what Make and Model# did Ecotality install?

Are you pleased with the way it works?

Ecotality seems convinced that my MR814v2 signal is too weak for the Blink. Nevertheless, when I run the Network Setup: Connection Test I get all positive results. On the Device Information page I learn this, (as of 4:56, Thursday, 12/15/11)

Firmware Version
L2R.1.6A, 035A, 1.2, 1.10

EVSE Activated
Yes

Last Network Transmission
4:54 PM Nov 28 2011 [WIFI]

CDMA Active
No

System Uptime
17 days, 0 hrs, 56 min

It appears that the unit has not sent a network transmission since it was installed. Nevertheless it has been 'up' the entire time and has faultlessly charged the Leaf.

I got an email from support in which the powerline adapter approach (PLC - Valet combo) was raised. It contained this sentence. "Considering that your unit does not have a CDMA modem, we need to consider other options to resolve your network connectivity issue." I thought that every Blink came equipped with a CDMA modem, but that turning it on, establishing an account for it, was the issue.

thanks,

baumgrenze
Ecotality installed the Alfa Network model AHPE303 PLA on my Blink unit.
LEAF SL + QC
Reserved: 4/20/10
Received: April 19, 1 year after reservation

GaslessInSeattle
Delivery Date: 29 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 850

Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:42 am

at this point, I think the wi-fi on the blinks is just downright dysfunctional. Just go with the powerline adapter, don't bother with trying to test the wi-fi signal, it's just not worth screwing around with it IMHO. I've had the powerline adapter since day one and not had a single issue with the blink... I'm on the verge of saying it's irresponsible for ecotality to continue to install the blinks using wi-fi... if they don't have a huge turn around in customer satisfaction, they are going to implode, causing another huge train wreck of tax payer funding, which the EV movement can't afford.

go with one of the brands mentioned above.
Gasless: Silver 2012 SL, traded in for Lease on 1/13
Tesla S P85, Gray, pano, carbon fiber, took delivery: 2-9-13... LOVE this car!
9.8 kW PV Solar installed 9/12, http://www.westseattlenaturalenergy.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

baumgrenze

Re: Powerline Adapter - Make & Model - Blink Firmware Upgrad

Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:06 pm

I looked quickly and could not find a menu to force the Blink to perform a firmware upgrade.

Is there one? If so, I will give it a shot.

Thanks,

baumgrenze
Thanks,

baumgrenze

2012 Glacier Pearl

DarkStar
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568

Re: Powerline Adapter - Make & Model - Blink Firmware Upgrad

Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:00 pm

baumgrenze wrote:I looked quickly and could not find a menu to force the Blink to perform a firmware upgrade.

Is there one?
If you had the upgrade file, you could do it over the intranet page. However Blink won't give those out. :( You have to wait for your unit to get it over wifi or ethernet.
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

waitingforaleaf
Delivery Date: 24 Aug 2011

Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:01 pm

My Blink upgraded from 1.6 to 1.8 within 15 minutes after having a stable network connection through the Powerline adapter. Seems to be much less dysfunctional now that it's no longer trying to connect through wi-fi.
12 bars : 20000 miles : 59.1 AHr: 23 months as of July. 2013

rdhauser
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 05 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 5287

Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:37 pm

When the installer tested my ethernet connection in July, it wouldn't pass the network connection process so he put in the PLC. ALFA Network Model AHPE303. They worked without a problem. I tried a few times to unplug the blink and connect my ethernet cable, but couldn't get it to pass the network test. Then early in this month (December) I (we) got an email saying that the blink network would be down on a Saturday while they went through some system upgrades (or some such). During that down time, I un plugged the blink, switched over to the ethernet connection, and plugged the blink back in. It came on line later that day and hasn't missed a beat since.
Dick
2011 Glacier Pearl SLe 005287 (Gone to the Kids 5/18)
2018 White SV with Cold Weather Option 3/16/18

Valdemar
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011

Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:48 pm

Does anyone know if the Ecotality supplied Alfa adapters are compatible with other HomePlug AV compliant adapters? I think it is possible to have more than 2 adapters in the network but Alfa adapters are rare and tend to be a bit more expensive than (some) others.

Return to “Blink”