Page 2 of 11

Re: Blink 2.0

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:33 pm
by garygid
Does not sound like a company that has $100,000,000 to justify blowing.

Re: Blink 2.0

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:41 pm
by JPWhite
zevrulz wrote:
Ready2plugin wrote: - no features, no gimmicks: what's the point of the timer function? My Leaf has already all the necessary brain and knows exactly how to charge it's own battery whenever I tell it to. Having a timer on both sides could lead to deadlocks (i.e. no charging at all).
You assume everyone in the world owns a LEAF with built in timer functionality. The Blink charger is for any electric vehicle that uses the J1772 connector. It would be foolish of blink to assume all vehicles would have a timer function.

I hear your comments about the total rewrite, however the 2.0 firmware is clearly superior to the long string of buggy 1.x firmwares. Rather than continue to patch what clarly was a lost case, they started over. Sometimes that is the best course of action, and in this case would seem to be the right choice IMHO.

Re: Blink 2.0

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:34 pm
by zevrulz
JPWhite wrote:You assume everyone in the world owns a LEAF with built in timer functionality. The Blink charger is for any electric vehicle that uses the J1772 connector. It would be foolish of blink to assume all vehicles would have a timer function.
Maybe. Do you know any EV's which don't have timer functionality, except golf carts? It was my understanding that most engineering efforts (and certainly IP) went into the battery management system. Adding a timer functionality is a no brainer (except for switching to DST and back).
That being said, I'm just asking for a simplified (which implies less points of failures) system. Why not have two different models with different feature sets.
JPWhite wrote:I hear your comments about the total rewrite, however the 2.0 firmware is clearly superior to the long string of buggy 1.x firmwares. Rather than continue to patch what clarly was a lost case, they started over. Sometimes that is the best course of action, and in this case would seem to be the right choice IMHO.
Let's see how it fares for ten thousand users.

Re: Blink 2.0

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:16 am
by coqui
We've got ZERO Blink QC stations the Charlotte, NC metro area :cry: :!: so I guess I won't be joining your network anytime soon.

Re: Blink 2.0

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:54 pm
by ericinor
Anyone have the 2.0b firmware file or perhaps an image of the SD card? Care to share?

Re: Blink 2.0

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:23 am
by kovalb
I just received this e-mail late yesterday that the 2.0.20120112 software will be pushed to my Blink. I assume this means ECOtality is out of Beta now. I did not have time to check this morning whether the new software was loaded yet. Here is their e-mail

The Next Generation of Blink Software is Here!

We at Blink are getting ready to roll out a new generation of software to our users. You should expect to see improved charger reliability and connectivity with this software version, which will be released this week. We’ll remotely update your software, so there’s no need for you to do anything. If your vehicle is charging when the software is pushed to your Blink unit, the update process will begin as soon as you unplug your vehicle from the charger. Please note that while the software is updating, you’ll be unable to charge for a short period.

The software update will happen in a few steps:
• The Blink system will update and install a Conversion Utility to facilitate the upgrade process. Once this initial update has happened, your Blink unit will reboot itself.
• After your Blink has rebooted, you may temporarily use your charger as usual while the Conversion Utility runs in the background, downloading the new software files.
• Once the Conversion Utility has finished downloading the necessary files, your Blink charger will display a screen which says Your Firmware is Being Updated, at which point you will be unable to use your charger for 15-20 minutes.
• Your Blink charger will undergo a factory reset (a 30 minute process), after which your charger will reboot to the new software.
To check whether the new software download is complete, go to Settings --> Device Info --> Firmware Version. You'll be able to tell you have the new software by the firmware version, which will be 2.0.20120112.

If you have any issues associated with the new software download, please contact our Blink Support Center at 888.998.2546 (BLINK).

Blink Support Center

Contact the Blink Support Center for any sales inquiries or customer support issues. Our Customer Support Specialists are available 24/7.
• 1.888.998.BLINK (2546)
support@blinknetwork.com

Re: Blink 2.0

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:39 am
by JPWhite
kovalb wrote:I just received this e-mail late yesterday that the 2.0.20120112 software will be pushed to my Blink. I assume this means ECOtality is out of Beta now. I did not have time to check this morning whether the new software was loaded yet. Here is their e-mail

The Next Generation of Blink Software is Here!

We at Blink are getting ready to roll out a new generation of software to our users. You should expect to see improved charger reliability and connectivity with this software version, which will be released this week. We’ll remotely update your software, so there’s no need for you to do anything. If your vehicle is charging when the software is pushed to your Blink unit, the update process will begin as soon as you unplug your vehicle from the charger. Please note that while the software is updating, you’ll be unable to charge for a short period.

The software update will happen in a few steps:
• The Blink system will update and install a Conversion Utility to facilitate the upgrade process. Once this initial update has happened, your Blink unit will reboot itself.
• After your Blink has rebooted, you may temporarily use your charger as usual while the Conversion Utility runs in the background, downloading the new software files.
• Once the Conversion Utility has finished downloading the necessary files, your Blink charger will display a screen which says Your Firmware is Being Updated, at which point you will be unable to use your charger for 15-20 minutes.
• Your Blink charger will undergo a factory reset (a 30 minute process), after which your charger will reboot to the new software.
To check whether the new software download is complete, go to Settings --> Device Info --> Firmware Version. You'll be able to tell you have the new software by the firmware version, which will be 2.0.20120112.

If you have any issues associated with the new software download, please contact our Blink Support Center at 888.998.2546 (BLINK).

Blink Support Center

Contact the Blink Support Center for any sales inquiries or customer support issues. Our Customer Support Specialists are available 24/7.
• 1.888.998.BLINK (2546)
support@blinknetwork.com
Beta testers got the final (non beta) software yesterday.

Charging notification delays seem to have been fixed with this final release vs the beta software.
Incorrect usage statistics have not been fixed from what I can tell.

Re: Blink 2.0

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:29 am
by gbarry42
zevrulz wrote:
JPWhite wrote:It would be foolish of blink to assume all vehicles would have a timer function.
Maybe. Do you know any EV's which don't have timer functionality, except golf carts?
Well, I was surprised to learn the iMiev has only a "charge later" button. So, now the owners are looking at appliance timers for their EVSE...
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=129

Re: Blink 2.0

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:47 am
by Spies
gbarry42 wrote:Well, I was surprised to learn the iMiev has only a "charge later" button. So, now the owners are looking at appliance timers for their EVSE...
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=129
Wow that is old school! I used a pool timer with my old EVSE when I still had my Honda EV Plus. Looking back the fact that the Honda EV Plus did not have a charge timer was my only big gripe with the vehicle. I would have thought all the EV manufacturers would have figured that one out by now.

Anyway does anyone have a link to the complete list of changes to the firmware or perhaps could just post them here as it seems it will now be pushed out to everyone?

Re: Blink 2.0

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:22 pm
by Volusiano
kovalb wrote:I just received this e-mail late yesterday that the 2.0.20120112 software will be pushed to my Blink. I assume this means ECOtality is out of Beta now. I did not have time to check this morning whether the new software was loaded yet.
I got the same email today. Checked my Blink an hour ago and mine is not loaded yet. Wonder if there's a way to force it to load, like power cycle the Blink or something.