12hrs of L2 Blink charging??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earther

Last night when returning home from work, I had put 42 miles on my Leaf (typical round trip for my daily commute). Generally, it takes my Blink a little over 3 hrs to charge to 100% from that (I guess I really should just be charging to only 80%, but I'm overly paranoid about having to run unexpected side errands, which really has only happened maybe 3-4 times in the 5 months I've had my Leaf).
Anyhoo, this morning I had my first anomalous behavior from my Blink: I got up to unplug my car and I noticed that the Blink was still charging the car and saying it had been going for a duration of 12 hours! (Usually in the mornings I get that big orange text saying "not charging"). However, none of the blue lights on the top of the dash were lit up or blinking, which seems to me to indicate that the Leaf wasn't actually charging at all, although Blink thought that it was. Even weirder was that after I unplugged the car and the Blink showed the summary display, it went back to saying that the charge had started at 7pm and ended at 10pm with it's usual 3 hr duration!
Has anyone ever had something like this happen to them before? (in case it matters, I have no timers set on either the car or the Blink... they're always just set to charge immediately on plug-in; I'm too tech-naive to fool with anything else!)

Yes, this has happened to me more than once, and each time it was corrected by restoring the wifi internet link. I know, there should not be any connection...

Me too. Same old Blink problems. Not wanting to make a political statement here, but seems like no one was watching the hen house when they got the federal money to push these units out. Do the investors have these units? If I had put my money into this company, I would be screaming that they aren't putting out a quality product. It always charges (after unplugging it and resetting) so maybe people are happy enough. I'm on my second unit with no discernable difference between the two.

Even though it was free to me (our tax dollars at work), I'm not sure the blink charger is worth it. I would have preferred that we were given vouchers (like school programs) to purchase the charger of choice. I know there was a tax credit program, but that only covered half. I would have liked to plop the same value on a unit that WORKS without having to be constantly fiddled with.

I don't usually complain about product quality, but I can't believe this thing even left the prototype stage without having all these problems worked out. I have mentioned to the Blink CS that they don't need to have an always on connection and their response was - "that's a good idea, we'll pass that along to our engineers."

TaylorSFGuy said:
I don't usually complain about product quality, but I can't believe this thing even left the prototype stage without having all these problems worked out.
Most of the problems I have heard about seem to be linked to the WiFi connection of the Blink. I hardwired mine to my router on day 1 and have not had a single problem with it in 4 months (knock on wood). If at all possible, run a network cable to it. Eventually, they may work out the wireless connection problems, but I didn't want to chance it. Drilling a hole in the garage wall and stringing a 25' cable was worth it to me.
YMMV,
TT

Back