Can existing Blink support 6.6kW chargers?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Volusiano

My current Blink is rated at 30A max, but the spec says it's configurable to 12, 16 or 24A.

If you take 24A x 240V, you'd only get 5.76 kW. That's not 6.6 kW.

So how are you going to be able to maximize the 6.6 kW charger at 24A on the current Blink station?

If somehow you can tap the max 30A rating, then it'd be enough for 6.6 kW. But not at 24A.

Why wouldn't Blink provide a 30A configuration as well (in addition to the 12, 16, and 24A configurations)?

Volusiano said:
My current Blink is rated at 30A max, but the spec says it's configurable to 12, 16 or 24A.

If you take 24A x 240V, you'd only get 5.76 kW. That's not 6.6 kW.

So how are you going to be able to maximize the 6.6 kW charger at 24A on the current Blink station?

If somehow you can tap the max 30A rating, then it'd be enough for 6.6 kW. But not at 24A.

Why would Blink provide a 30A configuration as well (in addition to the 12, 16, and 24A configurations)?
The Blink is rated for 12, 16, 24, or 30 amps max.

The information is worded strangely though as what they meant to say is that it comes configured at 30 amps, but is configurable to 12, 16, or 24 amps in addition to the standard 30 amps.

Thanks for the clarification. Your explanation makes a lot of sense. I assume that when the 6.6kW charger comes out, the Blink should work right off the bat with it without any reconfiguration then.

Volusiano said:
Thanks for the clarification. Your explanation makes a lot of sense. I assume that when the 6.6kW charger comes out, the Blink should work right off the bat with it without any reconfiguration then.

Too bad it will not be available for your car :eek:

EVDRIVER said:
Volusiano said:

Too bad it will not be available for your car :eek:
This question is more of a curiosity than anything. When I heard about the rumor that Phil (Ingineer) is working on a 10kW charger solution, it got me to thinking that the current Blink EVSE won't be enough to take advantage of a 10kW charger. Then it got me to wonder if it's even enough for the 6.6kW charger that's coming out in 2013 because the bad wording duped me into thinking that it can only be configured to 24A max.

Back