What's new in L2R.1.7A firmware?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Volusiano

There's rumor that the new 1.7A firmware is going to be pushed out soon. Anybody has any idea what's new in the 1.7A firmware?

Volusiano said:
There's rumor that the new 1.7A firmware is going to be pushed out soon. Anybody has any idea what's new in the 1.7A firmware?
Blink works reliably ?

I was out of town from August 2 through 9. When I returned, I found an email from Blink telling me that my unit hadn't been connected to the network since the 2nd. It was still connected to my wireless LAN, but when I plugged it into my LEAF there were no clunks and the blue lights did not flash. The Blink obviously did not recognize that it had been plugged in. I rebooted the Blink and all is well. I reported this behavior to Blink support and received this reply:

"It is likely that there was a network bounce on 08/02 that was just long enough (seconds, only) to force the BLINK to lose track of the network connection. This has been caused by a software glitch, as you’ve guessed. And, as you’ve done, it has been requiring a reboot in order to clear and allow the BLINK to re-connect to the internet.

Thankfully, we have a new firmware update scheduled at this time for 08/12/11 to correct this issue. We’ve been trying to make sure that everyone is connected by that date so that the firmware can be upgraded on all devices in the field."

Same here--I rebooted my Blink last night, after getting the same mail, but I'm getting fed up with that thing falling off the network all the time. Every other device I own sees a full "four bars" WiFi signal strength on my wireless in the garage, and the Blink can barely find the network.

As it has also been reported in many places, the WiFi on the Blink is "deaf." They also mounted the antenna against a metal object in the EVSE, which I think doesn't help the issue. I had to use an ethernet to WiFi adapter to finally get a stable connection.

Where's the Ethernet port on the Blink? I looked under mine but didn't easily see it.

Anyway, for another device I have which doesn't have wireless and is located far enough away that running ethernet was an issue, I picked up an ASUS WL-330gE wireless router. It can easily be configured to run in router, access-point or repeater mode. Best part is that it's tiny, draws 1-2W and easily mounts on a wall.

Of course - you probably want to wait until the 1.7A firmware is released to see if it helps your situation first before buying this.

drees said:
Where's the Ethernet port on the Blink?
Dave-

It's under a black plastic cap located on the bottom of the charger assembly in the middle, between the two knockouts for electrical conduit connections. See p. 21 of the Blink installation manual for pics.

TT

1.7 is tomorrow.
blinkie tech was at my house yesterday doing a fix and told the spouse.
dunno what is in it, as I was not around to ask the follow-up.

I've had absolutely no Wi-Fi connection problems. It has always 'seen' our router, but sometimes it takes a few tries. The only ones I've had is at times the screen goes blank and the '502' error. I'm hoping those two are in the upgrade tomorrow.

I thought I'd check my Blink's wireless connection before the 1.7 upgrade, just to make sure it could come in. I hit "Network Test" on the Blink's control screen and the unit immediately rebooted itself. I can only assume the Blink was planning ahead for 1.7 as well :lol:

Blink support now says that the target date for pushing 1.7 is August 16th. They say that they will email release notes when the new firmware goes out.

Well looks like the push of the firmware is delayed until today. See the response I got from Blink this morning.

Hi JP,

Typically when your screen doesn’t go out, it’s because the firmware’s screen saver function doesn’t activate. This is most likely caused by a freeze in the firmware, an issue we’ve been working on resolving for a few weeks now. Later today, we’re scheduled to release the newest version of firmware for your Blink unit, version 1.7A. This freeze issue, along with many others, will be addressed with this firmware update. As long as your Blink unit is connected to the network, your unit will download and install this firmware automatically as soon as we push it out to the public. According to our system, your Blink unit is currently both online and checking for firmware updates regularly.

If you receive the firmware update and your Blink unit is still showing the same (or new) behavior, please let us know and we’ll address the issue.

Brian Kozma
Blink Network Contact Center
e: [email protected]| d: +1.888.998.2546

drees said:
Mine rebooted on it's own a couple minutes before 8am PDT (11am EDT) - but is still running 1.6A.

When I unplugged the Blink a few minutes ago [about 11:15 PDT], the upgrade began. The blinknetwork "manage charger" page still shows 1.6A, but the intranet "Device Info" page correctly shows 1.7A, as does the unit itself. The update process took roughly five minutes:

Aug 16 18:17:23 evse2 daemon.info EVSE-Client[4777]: Installing package [/mmc/updates/L2R.1.6A-L2R.1.7A]

Aug 16 18:17:50 evse2 daemon.info EVSE-Client[4777]: Installation of package files from package [/mmc/updates/L2R.1.6A-L2R.1.7A] successful.

oakwcj said:
When I unplugged the Blink a few minutes ago [about 11:15 PDT], the upgrade began. The blinknetwork "manage charger" page still shows 1.6A, but the intranet "Device Info" page correctly shows 1.7A, as does the unit itself. The update process took roughly five minutes:
My blink is currently reporting this in the logs:
Code:
Aug 16 18:48:39 evse2 daemon.info EVSE-Client[1824]: No firmware available
Aug 16 18:48:39 evse2 daemon.info EVSE-Client[1824]: Unable to download file []
Aug 16 18:48:39 evse2 daemon.info EVSE-Client[1824]: Processing file
Aug 16 18:48:39 evse2 daemon.info EVSE-Client[1824]: Calling server for firmware download

drees said:
My blink is currently reporting this in the logs:
Code:
Aug 16 18:48:39 evse2 daemon.info EVSE-Client[1824]: No firmware available
Aug 16 18:48:39 evse2 daemon.info EVSE-Client[1824]: Unable to download file []
Aug 16 18:48:39 evse2 daemon.info EVSE-Client[1824]: Processing file
Aug 16 18:48:39 evse2 daemon.info EVSE-Client[1824]: Calling server for firmware download
My guess is that the server is pretty busy and your Blink is timing out...

Mine updated around noon... From their email:

"What's new in 1.7A:

The software update L2R.1.7A has been released.

Software updates provide many improvements to your charger, including increased functionality and reliability. The following new features and functionality are included in this update:

• ‘502 Error’ code resolved
• Increased adherence to currently set charging schedule
• Function displays more specifically next scheduled charging time
• More efficient weekday to weekend and weekend to weekday charging scheduling capability
• Many minor bug fixes

This update is automatically installed using an internet connection directly to your charger. "

Got email about upgrade and my unit automatically upgraded as well.

"Software version L2R.1.7A, released on August 16th, 2011, includes improved scheduling functionality, as well as updates resolving the '502 Error' code and several bug fixes."

Back