Blink Network starts sending notifications

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davewill

So, I unplug my LEAF this morning, and by the time I get to the driver's door, my phone signals an incoming email. I take a look and see a new creature, a "Charge Stopped" notification from blinknetwork.com. When I set up my profile, I had turned on the email notifications, just out of curiosity, but none ever showed up. Of course, charging had stopped hours earlier, this came when I unplugged. The way they've formatted the message, there's tons of blank lines in it, so I have to scroll on my phone to see the body, but that's no big deal because the body is just "Charging has stopped at: 101266", a number that has no meaning to me and doesn't seem to relate to the time anything happened which was around 8:40AM.

Don't they test this stuff at all?

I just started getting them this weekend too. They are redundant to the ones I get from the car. I don't see where I can configure or turn them off on the Blink site.

I got a text messaget night around 10pm and I don't even have my Leaf yet! The Blink unit has just been sitting there for months. I did go into the garage and check to see if there was anything unusual on the display, but it looked normal. There was also no power failure.

davewill said:
Log into the blinknetwork site and go into "My Profile". It's under preferences.

I unchecked that box but am still getting the messages. In my case the emails coorespond to when charging actually stops on my Leaf.

I'm thinking that some programmer is running test code and dosn't realize that the messages are actually going out! :eek:

Mine came in Saturday while we were out at a PV presentation. It had some attempted html paragraph markup and an upside down question mark (if that thing has a name) in the message.

davewill said:
Don't they test this stuff at all?
They're doing that now :lol:

I got a second message last night at 7 PM. Therein lies a bit of a story. But first, a little expansion on the original. The messages are coming in via SMS, although they show as if it were an email address rather than a number. As for this:
davewill said:
"Charging has stopped at: 101266", a number that has no meaning to me
the thing following "at:" is apparently what you "named" your Blink. "Named" in quotes, because maybe you didn't give it a name and they stuck something on it for you.

Yesterday morning, the Blink was "on the blink", with usual network difficulties. Since I'm trying to find a better way to unwedge it than pulling the plug, I did "everything else", which included resetting the router, and running "test the network" on the Blink. In this case, it claimed it could get an address, but not connect. It also suspiciously did not see any of the neighbor's networks. I suspect a lot of what it was telling me was cached and not real. I decided to just leave it until the evening and see if (1) it would figure it all out (maybe some timeout would expire) and (2) if BlinkNetwork would get all testy about not hearing from the box.

And the results were, it rebooted itself around 7 PM. Then it went online. Then it told me the charging was done. It doesn't say when. But the uptime on the box when I got home pinned it at 7 PM. So really, the message meant, "OK, I rebooted" :)

gbarry42 said:
I got a second message last night at 7 PM. Therein lies a bit of a story. But first, a little expansion on the original. The messages are coming in via SMS, although they show as if it were an email address rather than a number...
Yours are coming as SMS, but mine definitely came as emails, which is how I configured my profile.

This is just so Blink!

Interesting gbarry42. Every time I look at Blinky (yes, I named my Blink...clever, isn't it?), the uptime is less than 12 hours. So it must be rebooting regularly.

I have an open ticket going with the Blink NOC about how we can't get my rate info updated in ol' Blinky, and we have an ongoing mail dialog about that. I added this mystery "Charge Stopped" email occurrence to that thread, and they were surprised. "Who sent that?" they asked. "[email protected]" I said (they don't know?!?!).

I also told them that several folks at MNL have been experiencing these spurious messages.

They're investigating.

[Meanwhile, we still can't get my rate info into Blinky, either by me entering it via the website or them trying to push it directly.]

lonndoggie said:
[Meanwhile, we still can't get my rate info into Blinky, either by me entering it via the website or them trying to push it directly.]
Sorry about that. I hadn't actually tried to CHANGE the rate data from the website, I just saw that the rate data I (painstakingly) entered through the intranet was there and apparently much easier to edit. I hope you're having fun as much fun with your beta EVSE as I am!

I have determined, after another week of observations, that each time I get a message from (the) Blink, it corresponds to the moment the plug is pulled from the front of the car. Not terribly useful, but if I leave the car at home, I can see the exact moment LMW goes out on errands.

Back