Rake
Delivery Date: 27 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1508

Re: Network testing: Blink Network: Connection Failed

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:10 am

A couple times my Blink seemed to lose its wifi connection, and the quick fix was to push the "WPS" (Wifi protected setup) button on my router, then run the network tests again. For whatever reason the Blink decides to play nice again. Worth a try if you have that option.
~Rake
Leaf: 29 May, Black SL+eTec 31 Jan, #1508
Delivered: 5/27/2011
Prius: 2010 Grey IV
EV Project participant - EVSE installed 4/21

LEAFfan
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:44 am

camasleaf wrote:I just turned the blink back on after a month and a half. It did the firmware upgrade and I can connect to it just fine. Did the network test and it took 4 "retry test" to get passed on everything. I love the new brightness and power save feature.
+1! I just wish someone from ECOtality had told me about the 'Sleep mode and Brightness' options firmware upgrade. I love the 10%. I sure didn't need it lighting up the whole garage and drawing every bug in the neighborhood!
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

Volusiano
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:54 am

Hey guys, I worked with the Blink customer support some more tonight (I'm amazed to hear they say that they're open 24/7 365 days a year), and they said that they finally figured out the problem (or so they think). They said it was because some kind of id numbers don't match for me in their database, so that's why it could never connect. I'm not sure if this is really the cause or not, because it used to work just fine on installation day. But I'll wait until tomorrow when they will have updated the record to see if it really solves the problem once and for all or not.
Last edited by Volusiano on Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LEAFfan

Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:03 am

It seems that last update fixed my connection problem. It used to take many tries to find our network, but this time, after the updates, it did it the first time. I'm so glad I don't have to leave the light burning anymore. I set it to one minute and it's great! Has anyone tested the power consumption with 10% brightness and in 'sleep' mode?

DarkStar
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568

Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:15 am

Volusiano wrote:In the mean time, I wonder if anybody experienced the same thing, and what was your solution?
Hard-wire an ethernet connection and use a static IP address. Blink called me this week because they want to come out to install a "Cisco Valet." I know that a Cisco Valet is another wireless router, but I already explained to them that I'm running two (different model) Netgear routers less than 5 feet away from the Blink and that it's just deaf.

I decided to pick up a Netgear WNCE2001 wifi-to-ethernet adapter from Best Buy, opened up my Blink and unplugged the CDMA modem from the USB plug, and plugged in the adapter into the USB plug for the power and unplugged the ethernet cable from the external port and plug it into the adapter as well. It's had a rock-solid 802.11n connection ever since!
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

Jimmydreams
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0175

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 am

LEAFfan wrote:It seems that last update fixed my connection problem. It used to take many tries to find our network, but this time, after the updates, it did it the first time. I'm so glad I don't have to leave the light burning anymore. I set it to one minute and it's great! Has anyone tested the power consumption with 10% brightness and in 'sleep' mode?
Before the update with 100% brightness compared to sleep mode is a difference of about 6 watts. Not insignificant over a 24/7/365 scenario. It's a 37.5% drop. :mrgreen:

This data comes from my TED, which has proven to be pretty darn accurate.
JimmyD
http://www.jjhamilton.com/solar
Blue SL Leaf delivered 1/7/2011
EVP participant. EVSE: Blink
6.75kW PV solar

Volusiano
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011

Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:22 pm

Volusiano wrote:Hey guys, I worked with the Blink customer support some more tonight (I'm amazed to hear they say that they're open 24/7 365 days a year), and they said that they finally figured out the problem (or so they think). They said it was because some kind of id numbers don't match for me in their database, so that's why it could never connect. I'm not sure if this is really the cause or not, because it used to work just fine on installation day. But I'll wait until tomorrow when they will have updated the record to see if it really solves the problem once and for all or not.
Well, I called back and talked to another Blink CS tech today and he said that id mismatch wasn't the cause of the problem (contradicting the other guy from yesterday). He said it looks like I may need that power line interface adapter after all, so he's going to have their contractor come out and install one for me.

LEAFfan

Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:43 pm

Jimmydreams wrote:
LEAFfan wrote:It seems that last update fixed my connection problem. It used to take many tries to find our network, but this time, after the updates, it did it the first time. I'm so glad I don't have to leave the light burning anymore. I set it to one minute and it's great! Has anyone tested the power consumption with 10% brightness and in 'sleep' mode?
Before the update with 100% brightness compared to sleep mode is a difference of about 6 watts. Not insignificant over a 24/7/365 scenario. It's a 37.5% drop. :mrgreen:
Thanks Jimmy. So now with 10% brightness and one minute sleep mode, it will use about 9W? Was it around 15W before?

Jimmydreams
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0175

Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:15 pm

LEAFfan wrote:
Jimmydreams wrote:
Thanks Jimmy. So now with 10% brightness and one minute sleep mode, it will use about 9W? Was it around 15W before?
I was getting 16 watts before, 10 watts now in sleep mode.
JimmyD
http://www.jjhamilton.com/solar
Blue SL Leaf delivered 1/7/2011
EVP participant. EVSE: Blink
6.75kW PV solar

astrorob
Delivery Date: 06 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3307

Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:01 pm

Volusiano wrote:
Volusiano wrote:Hey guys, I worked with the Blink customer support some more tonight (I'm amazed to hear they say that they're open 24/7 365 days a year), and they said that they finally figured out the problem (or so they think). They said it was because some kind of id numbers don't match for me in their database, so that's why it could never connect. I'm not sure if this is really the cause or not, because it used to work just fine on installation day. But I'll wait until tomorrow when they will have updated the record to see if it really solves the problem once and for all or not.
Well, I called back and talked to another Blink CS tech today and he said that id mismatch wasn't the cause of the problem (contradicting the other guy from yesterday). He said it looks like I may need that power line interface adapter after all, so he's going to have their contractor come out and install one for me.
here's something to keep in mind - if the electrical outlet near your router and the electrical outlet in your garage happen to be on different phases, the powerline boxes might not be able to communicate with one another. nowadays a couple of companies make powerline phase bridges that plug into any available 220V socket and make a high-impedance connection between the two phases which allows the powerline signal to propagate. hopefully the tech will have some of those, or you might call again and discuss the possible need for a bridge to make sure they have one when they show up.

i was just about to deploy something like this, because at the shipped firmware revision (maybe 1.5 or before, i can't remember), the blink apparently could associate with my WPA2 network, but then could not see the rest of the network, or the internet. this may or may not be because of the password i am using (per Blink CS, but i really doubt this) or it could be due to the fact that i have two wireless access points with the same name and security settings (this is how you extend a wireless network if you have a wired network spanning physically disparate parts of your house). i had to drag an extension cord from a socket inside the house out to the garage to get the powerline network going. over the wired connection, the blink immediately upgraded it's firmware to 1.6 and after that it was able to hook up over wifi. so they must have fixed some bugs in 1.6.

incidentally it took almost 20 minutes to upgrade the firmware (stuck on the "upgrading firmware screen") i really thought it had wedged up for a while there.

i feel bad for the installers because probably most people won't have the network resources to bootstrap the blink to the new firmware which is apparently a little more robust wifi-wise.

now that i think about it more, the problem could well have been the 2 channels advertising the same name - i got 2 networks with the same name showing up on 1.5, but just one network on 1.6.

Return to “Blink”