Volusiano
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011

Network testing: Blink Network: Connection Failed

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:04 pm

I had my Blink installed 3 weeks ago and the network tested out fine. It also pushed the L2R.1.5.A upon start up, and the wireless network connection tested out fine afterward as well. Then I turned it off for 3 weeks and plugged it in again last night to begin using since I finally took delivery of my Leaf last night. But now the network test passed everything except for the last test, "Blink Network -> Connection Failed" happens consistently. Called Blink CS this morning and they had us try a number of things with no luck. They now want me to remove my router's security password to see if it works. I'll do that when I get home tonight. Blink CS said if it doesn't work, they'll escalate my ticket up to a higher tier.

In the mean time, I wonder if anybody experienced the same thing, and what was your solution? Thanks.

OrientExpress
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331

Re: Network testing: Blink Network: Connection Failed

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:09 pm

Restart your router and try again. This is what solved my connection issue.
2018 LEAF SL
Gun Metalic
Delivery April 10 2018

Prior LEAF:
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
50,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

Volusiano

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:14 pm

OrientExpress wrote:Restart your router and try again. This is what solved my connection issue.
Great, thanks! Will try!

lonndoggie
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 22 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1995

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:20 pm

Since it worked for you before, there's a good chance it'll work for you again; the router restart sounds like a good idea.

Me, it never worked; I could get an address from DHCP, but the last status (local network connection, I think?) would stay red.

My solution, which the Blink support guys thought might be necessary, was to get a powerline interface adapter (two actually, one plugged into the router), plugged into the LAN port on the Blink, and use that instead of the wireless link.

So if the restart doesn't do it, you might want to consider that.
Res: 4/20, RAQ: 10/1, Order: 10/7
EV Proj OK 9/17, install 4/19, 2nd meter 5/5
Pend > Apr/11 > 4/15 > 4/19 > 4/15 > 4/18 > 4/22 > 6/14 > 6/16 > 6/22
Delivered 6/15!!
VIN: 2494
Ocean Blue eTec
7.36kW DC PV Array

Volusiano

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:34 pm

lonndoggie wrote:Since it worked for you before, there's a good chance it'll work for you again; the router restart sounds like a good idea.

Me, it never worked; I could get an address from DHCP, but the last status (local network connection, I think?) would stay red.

My solution, which the Blink support guys thought might be necessary, was to get a powerline interface adapter (two actually, one plugged into the router), plugged into the LAN port on the Blink, and use that instead of the wireless link.

So if the restart doesn't do it, you might want to consider that.
If the wireless connection has not worked at installation time, the tech would have already given me the hardware for the powerline interface adapter. He had it right there with him and even showed it to me. But because it worked just fine upon installation, he didn't give me that. I kinda wished he had.

GroundLoop

Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:12 pm

There's something stinky about the Blink's DHCP client. I didn't quite put a finger on it, but it never worked right. It would connect sometimes, not others, or lose the (hardwired) connection after a few hours. I hardcoded the IP address (netmask, etc) in the Blink, and now it's connected 100%.

davewill

Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:28 pm

GroundLoop wrote:There's something stinky about the Blink's DHCP client. I didn't quite put a finger on it, but it never worked right. It would connect sometimes, not others, or lose the (hardwired) connection after a few hours. I hardcoded the IP address (netmask, etc) in the Blink, and now it's connected 100%.
That's what I finally did. I was lucky that I already had a CAT5 drop in the garage, but even with that, DHCP would fail regularly. I switched to a static IP and it's been better.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

camasleaf
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2011

Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:39 pm

davewill wrote:
GroundLoop wrote:There's something stinky about the Blink's DHCP client. I didn't quite put a finger on it, but it never worked right. It would connect sometimes, not others, or lose the (hardwired) connection after a few hours. I hardcoded the IP address (netmask, etc) in the Blink, and now it's connected 100%.
That's what I finally did. I was lucky that I already had a CAT5 drop in the garage, but even with that, DHCP would fail regularly. I switched to a static IP and it's been better.
Even with static IP the Network Test will fail sometimes. For me, it usually takes 5-10 attempts to get a pass on everything. But, even if the test failed I am still able to access the blink from my computer. I would not trust the test.

I just turned the blink back on after a month and a half. It did the firmware upgrade and I can connect to it just fine. Did the network test and it took 4 "retry test" to get passed on everything. I love the new brightness and power save feature.

Note: Select a static IP outside of the set DHCP server range of your router. You will avoid IP conflicts.
2011 SLe 06/17/11 Over 89000 miles 61%SOH 13.8kWh
2018 Honda Clarity PHEV
2014 Model S P85 77888 miles 256mile range
5.7kW DC Solar System

lonndoggie
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 22 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1995

Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:16 pm

Interesting that you guys had such a hard time with DHCP. That wasn't (and isn't) an issue for me; it would fail the test no matter if I used a static IP or DHCP, and both would either fail 100%, or pass everything but the last test (connection to local network, I think it was called--even though it was connected, and I could see it in the router's client list).

I took a peek inside, mainly to check that the antenna was well-connected. I think it was, but it was hard to tell, given that the antenna is just a small snippet of fine wire plugged in to a small connector on one board and taped to the back of another. It's amazing it works at all.

With it hardwired, I'm using DHCP, and the only hiccups I've had are that new 502 error others have reported that started after the latest firmware push. Before the update, it was rock solid.

Also cool that an installer even had a powerline adapter. Mine pretty much gave up and told me to call Blink.
Res: 4/20, RAQ: 10/1, Order: 10/7
EV Proj OK 9/17, install 4/19, 2nd meter 5/5
Pend > Apr/11 > 4/15 > 4/19 > 4/15 > 4/18 > 4/22 > 6/14 > 6/16 > 6/22
Delivered 6/15!!
VIN: 2494
Ocean Blue eTec
7.36kW DC PV Array

rhover
Delivery Date: 05 May 2011

Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:13 pm

My Blink unit works well for charging the Leaf, but it always fails the Network Test, and I can't connect to it locally - only via the Blink website dashboard. Also I've set electricity rates via the web Dashboard, but the Blink unit doesn't appear to get the data.

(working image link added June 20)

I tried rebooting my wireless router (Apple AirPort), but no change in status. Yet despite the LAN, DNS, and Blink network failures that the unit reports (see picture), Blink is getting regular updates, and I can access the data from my Blink Dashboard on the web. I have not been able to connect directly to it with the IP address it gives me.

Today, Blink Tech Support told me I might need a new SD card in the unit, but they also noted that my unit is sending its GPS location very frequently. He said usually the Blink units just report GPS location once (since it's fixed in one spot at installation) - but apparently mine seems to be sending location every 10-15 minutes or so (he wasn't specific). Someone may come out with a new SD card if they can't figure out another fix.

Should my electrical rates be visible from the Blink unit after I set them on the web Dashboard? also does anyone have any suggestions for why these 3 errors show up on the Network Test, and why I can't access via LAN (presumably related)?
Last edited by rhover on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
delivered 5/5/11, Cayenne Red

Return to “Blink”