Lock/seal/tag on your Blink unit?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Volusiano

I got my Blink installed yesterday. The tech said that it's supposed to come with a lock/seal/tag to prevent owners from opening up the unit and mess around inside. He said if you need service and they don't see it on your unit, they're going to assume that you broke the lock/seal off and may refuse servicing the unit because it could have been already tampered with by the owner. He said he'd give me a confirmation paperwork in writing from him that the unit doesn't come with a lock.

But then he forgot to give it to me at the end when he was done and I forgot to ask. I had to send him an email to ask him to send it to me when he sends me the permit paperwork.

I wonder how many other people's Blink units come with a lock/seal.

No seal, mine hasn't been together since 20 minutes after the installer left. It's probably about time I put it back together though..

Mine has a black plastic "Blink" tag with a metal ring that was installed when the unit was put in. The installer took a digital photo of it in place for their records. It looks like a utility meter seal, except it is black...

tag.jpg

As I said previously it really doesn't matter because you can slip the outer black ring over the seal/lock. Its a brillant mechanical design!

In a rare moment, I read the Owner's manual. While I can believe that the blink people could use the seal to qualify your warranty (and they could believe it, too), that doesn't seem to be its purpose.

Seems the Blnk can be used as an actual Electric Meter. They claim ANSI C12.20 conformance (no I don't know what that is) but of course your local utility would have to accept that, and so on, but the possibility is there. It's all on page 3, ending with this statement: "Your blink charging system installer can install this seal on request."

So, it's an option :)

Back