First Public Pedestal Chargers Installed - Tempe, AZ

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skywagon

The first public commercial pedistal Blink chargers have been installed at Monti's La Casa Vieja on Mill Ave and Rio Salado Pkwy in Tempe, AZ. I stopped by there yesterday and snapped a couple quick cell phone pics. They require RFID cards to access them. I contacted Ecotality and they said that those should be coming out soon. Up until the Blink units were installed there were 2 inductive paddle chargers (large type) that were installed during the EV1 program. Michael Monti is a great EV supporter and wanted to be the first with a commercial Blink installation.

5655446716_4b421df743_b.jpg

5654882645_33a3dfc0b4_b.jpg

1) Do you have some idea as to how many parking spaces each pedestal charging station can service there? From your photo I would guess at least 6, but it might be 10.
2) Does each pedestal have a cord on each side, or just one side?
3) It looks like there are some (120v?) outlets near the pedestals that are also available. Can you say anything about them?

Can you take some pics of the backs? There has to be some access method. I have a reward on some pics to the first user to crack one open.

Also any FCC ids on them? Since its a different enclosure and maybe different antennas, they probably had to re-FCC the pedestal.

Too bad even though it's next to the 202, it's such a PITA to get there. Would be nice if it was easy access from the 202.

Then again it's a decent location for doing anything on Mill.

MikeD said:
1) Do you have some idea as to how many parking spaces each pedestal charging station can service there? From your photo I would guess at least 6, but it might be 10.
2) Does each pedestal have a cord on each side, or just one side?
3) It looks like there are some (120v?) outlets near the pedestals that are also available. Can you say anything about them?

1. The spaces that I am parked in (2 total with a partial space in between) are marked green and EV parking. They are the designated spots for charging. One could use the spaces on the other side if necessary.

2. No, just one cord. These are just a different packaging for the exact same unit as the home one. The small opaque white ring at the top lights up at night. The backs are flat.

3. Yes, those were put there back when the EV1 inductive charging stations were there (I used to use them with my S-10E). They were for some of the other homebuilt EV's that only charged off 120V. I am not sure if the addition of a 120V outlet will be common practice with these commercial installations.

I'm surprised they mounted the cord spool and handle that low. "Pissing height", if I had to be direct about it.
That wouldn't go well in all neighborhoods.

Sure am glad to see them installed, though. I was starting to cook up some epic conspiracy theories of why these weren't going in. :)

GroundLoop said:
I'm surprised they mounted the cord spool and handle that low. "Pissing height", if I had to be direct about it.
That wouldn't go well in all neighborhoods.

Sure am glad to see them installed, though. I was starting to cook up some epic conspiracy theories of why these weren't going in. :)

There are OSHA or ADA regulations that that dictate the height of the cord spool.

Looking at these pictures makes me realize that the totally black cords are going to be a problem in poor lighting conditions. People are going to walk into/trip over them. They need to be wrapped in some high visability color or something (perhaps w/ some kind of low-power lighting).

In fact, my own charger station cord has a similar problem. Anybody who has gotten their Leaf dealt with this already?

smkettner said:
I shake my head wondering what they spent on those Blink units vs just provide an outlet and let the electric run free ;)

These are L2, and I doubt very seriously that they would have a 240 outlet that people could use.

Gorgeous! I have renewed faith in the idea that there will be more of these! Can't wait to see them pop up in more locations around the valley.

LEAFfan said:
smkettner said:
I shake my head wondering what they spent on those Blink units vs just provide an outlet and let the electric run free ;)

These are L2, and I doubt very seriously that they would have a 240 outlet that people could use.

Read carefully - these outlets are LEFTOVER from the old paddle chargers that were there. Yes, they could have removed them, but what good would that serve?

I stopped by the chargers tonight and took some quick night photos with them lit up (excuse the camera phone photos):

5671156529_f7a8914675_b.jpg

5671724950_ae11b8fcc3_b.jpg

I bet your thinking... hmm, why is he plugged in? Well, I was charging (the first to do so):

5671724034_1e4c797a9c_b.jpg

Well, being the first in AZ to receive a Blink and making contacts at ECOtality has it perks... After stopping by those chargers the other day and not being able to use them I asked nicely if I could "test" them out somehow. Well I had a special delivery today... my RFID card packet:

5671158915_b19cc0f3c6_b.jpg

I am also the first to test out that system and it worked flawlessly. The unit, using it's internal CDMA card, contacts the Blink server, validates your RFID card/account, and then the Blink allows charging.

DO NOT go contacting/complaining to ECOtality just yet as these are some of the only chargers deployed (there are others out there... somewhere... but they are not on the RFID system just yet). They will be sending out RFID cars very soon in the packet shown above. Like always, please be patient.

Skywagon...thanks so much for sharing! That is soooo cool. Another neat toy to show off!

Good stuff, Skywagon...

I like the photo of the front your Leaf while charging. It actually looks like your Leaf has a smile on it's face, doesn't it? :)

Back