EVDRIVER

Re: New Firmware Pushed : L2R.1.5A

Mon May 02, 2011 12:03 pm

DarkStar wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:I don't see why anyone would use a Blink timer.
I use the timer since I'm paying for time-of-use electricity from the utility provider. The cheap stuff starts at 10pm...

The Leaf does that, many of us are on TOU.

DarkStar
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568

Mon May 02, 2011 12:53 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:
DarkStar wrote:
I use the timer since I'm paying for time-of-use electricity from the utility provider. The cheap stuff starts at 10pm...
And then you can't use the EV Charge Sharing Protocol. If you're plugged into a public charging station and some kid presses the release button, even if it stays plugged in, the car won't start charging automatically again.

The key to EVs success will by being able to charge anywhere except at home.
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

LBCev
Delivery Date: 03 Nov 2011

Mon May 02, 2011 12:54 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:
DarkStar wrote:

The Blink user manual recommend that you use the vehicle's onboard charge timer for timed charging when so equipped. As I expect all modern EVs to have an onboard charge timer, the timing feature of the Blink seems a bit extraneous. I use my Leaf's timer to make sure I charge during off peak TOU. Besides, the time on my Blink is always off by one hour - regardless of whether its on auto, manual or DST - so I'm not likely to trust it do turn on after midnight. ;)
Delivery: 3/30/11
VIN: 785
Now solar powered!

Jimmydreams
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0175

Mon May 02, 2011 12:59 pm

LBCev wrote:The Blink user manual recommend that you use the vehicle's onboard charge timer for timed charging when so equipped. As I expect all modern EVs to have an onboard charge timer, the timing feature of the Blink seems a bit extraneous. I use my Leaf's timer to make sure I charge during off peak TOU. Besides, the time on my Blink is always off by one hour - regardless of whether its on auto, manual or DST - so I'm not likely to trust it do turn on after midnight. ;)
I thought the Blink folks said to use the Blink timer and NOT the Leaf timer??? Am I the only one that heard that?? :?:
JimmyD
http://www.jjhamilton.com/solar
Blue SL Leaf delivered 1/7/2011
EVP participant. EVSE: Blink
6.75kW PV solar

EVDRIVER

Mon May 02, 2011 1:01 pm

Jimmydreams wrote:
LBCev wrote:The Blink user manual recommend that you use the vehicle's onboard charge timer for timed charging when so equipped. As I expect all modern EVs to have an onboard charge timer, the timing feature of the Blink seems a bit extraneous. I use my Leaf's timer to make sure I charge during off peak TOU. Besides, the time on my Blink is always off by one hour - regardless of whether its on auto, manual or DST - so I'm not likely to trust it do turn on after midnight. ;)
I thought the Blink folks said to use the Blink timer and NOT the Leaf timer??? Am I the only one that heard that?? :?:

Probably. regardless it is irrelevant, I was told the opposite and there is no point in using their buggy timer, besides the get the exact same data. Use the LEAF timer and you don't need to worry.

Jimmydreams
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0175

Mon May 02, 2011 1:03 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:
Jimmydreams wrote:

Probably. regardless it is irrelevant, I was told the opposite and there is no point in using their buggy timer, besides the get the exact same data. Use the LEAF timer and you don't need to worry.
I don't care which one I use, as long as it's reliable. I'll try switching to the Leaf timer and see if that helps with the reliability.

But if I can help debug the Blink firmware, I will, so long as I don't wake up to a dead battery...
JimmyD
http://www.jjhamilton.com/solar
Blue SL Leaf delivered 1/7/2011
EVP participant. EVSE: Blink
6.75kW PV solar

wwhitney
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011

Mon May 02, 2011 1:23 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:I don't see why anyone would use a Blink timer. Besides that the update added a last charge screen at the main menu but it is almost useless as it omits kwh used at last charge which is all I care about since the cost estimates are pointless and inaccurate on my plan and I don't care about times or % at peak etc. Having kwh used one does not have to note and subtract each time. Duh Blink. :idea:
Just set your cost to charge at a flat $0.10/kwh or $1/kwh, and then you'll get kwh used from the last charge cost.

Wayne

wwhitney
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011

Mon May 02, 2011 1:46 pm

Jimmydreams wrote:I found a bug the other day....

I had Blink set up to weekdays at midnight, weekends at 11pm. I plugged the Leaf in Friday afternoon at around 4pm. The Blink correctly displayed "Time to charge: 8:00" and the countdown went just fine.
Sounds to me like the "time to charge" is incorrect. If you only have two charge intervals set, and one starts weekdays at midnight, and the other starts weekends at 11:00 p.m., then you are not asking for a charge on Saturday mornings.

Cheers, Wayne

DarkStar
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568

Mon May 02, 2011 1:46 pm

Jimmydreams wrote:
Hmm... The Blink manual actually doesn't say either of these (page 23):
Your blink allows you to create a charging schedule for when you want to charge your vehicle. We recommend a charging schedule if you have a multiple-rate plan, because it helps you take advantage of time-of-use plans. For example, if you typically come home from work at 6:00, but your utility has a discount rate that starts at 9:00pm, scheduling a 9:00pm charge start time on weekdays allows you to simply plug in your vehicle when you get home and then forget about it. Your blink charging system will wait until 9:00 to start charging – saving you money. You can schedule multiple time slots, too – for example, after work on weekdays and during the early morning hours on weekends.

Note: If your vehicle can also save a charging schedule, make sure that the schedule in your blink does not conflict with the vehicle’s schedule. Only enter a schedule in your vehicle or your blink – not both.

You also can choose to have charging start immediately when the connector is plugged into your vehicle. This works well when you have a single-rate electricity billing plan, where there is no cost advantage if you delay charging.
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

sdbonez
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Mon May 02, 2011 5:51 pm

Jimmydreams wrote:
Nope. And they went one step further and told me the Leaf had a problem (vs. the Blink)
EV Prj: prereg 4/19 11:21a, appvd 7/22 11:34a, on-site eval 8/27 1pm, installed 3/30
Leaf: Red eTec resvd 4/20 2:33p, order open 8/31 11:30a, confirmed 9/3 2:00p, Carwings 3/9
Dash@Delivery 4/8, 7-day on 3/23, Delivered 03/30, Carwings: 'Bonez' VIN#728

Return to “Blink”