GroundLoop

Re: EV Project/Blink Installs

Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:12 pm

ECOtality absolutely needs a media spotlight shined on them!
They are NOT holding up their end of the public-infrastructure deal.

They're really good about pumping out press releases and self-congratulatory pap. Not so good on installing public L2 chargers in San Diego.

And yes, I have contacted them. They brush off any questions about:
1) WHEN will the first public L2 station in San Diego be on-line and ready for service?
2) WHERE will the first charger be?
3) Will free charging end in May, as planned, before the first car is ever charged?

If nothing else, it would be good to have an updated slideshow to share with the revised rollout plan. Maybe CCSE should host another forum.

Also, like others, I'm a little peeved that they appear to be "taking credit" for EVSE installations or even old ghost data that they had no part in installing. The little "EVProject" logos on their charger map are misleading at best. It's dishonest, and they need to stop that.

Look -- the public visible infrastructure is a pivotal part of what will make EVs grab hold, gain traction, and earn consideration in the eyes of the public. No public chargers makes the LEAF less valuable. Less viable as a car. It reduces range, increases cost, and makes it easier to disregard as a "nice try".

Asked another way... If you go to sell your LEAF in three years -- do you think the resale value will be higher with 1,400 public chargers in your city, or zero?

EV Project is SO FAR behind the eight-ball here it's not even funny. I'll make a pizza bet with any one person here that they don't have 140 chargers installed in San Diego by the end of 2011. 1,400 my ass... they're taking the DoE for a ride at taxpayers' expense.

wsbca
Delivery Date: 0- 0-2011

Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:28 pm

GroundLoop wrote: Asked another way... If you go to sell your LEAF in three years -- do you think the resale value will be higher with 1,400 public chargers in your city, or zero?
I'm not too worried about our LEAF resale value, because I'm going to be rolling in dough after I sell my Numbered Limited Edition Piece Of Cardboard With The Blink Logo On It on the ebay.

....wait...what do you mean "reserve not met"....wtw? What part of Numbered Limited Edition do you people not understand? It has a NUMBER. It's LIMITED. You can't just get these anywhere! I'm tempted to not relist it just to teach you people a lesson!
I was promised a jet pack!

ENIAC
Delivery Date: 13 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 224

Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:29 pm

In Jan I learned that Stone Brewery in Escondido would be one of the first, if not the first, EV Project public charging locations in San Diego county. So I contacted Stone Brewery and they confirmed that. They said it would be up and running in March. Well March came and went and there was nothing. So a couple of weeks ago I contacted them again and they said that they just had the "contractor assessment" by the EV Project and expect to have their EV chargers up and running in mid May. So we should see the first actual public chargers in San Diego county in about a month.
Myths And Facts About Electric Cars

"The ice doesn't care"
-- WetEV

Jimmydreams
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0175

Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:57 pm

ENIAC wrote:In Jan I learned that Stone Brewery in Escondido would be one of the first, if not the first, EV Project public charging locations in San Diego county. So I contacted Stone Brewery and they confirmed that. They said it would be up and running in March. Well March came and went and there was nothing. So a couple of weeks ago I contacted them again and they said that they just had the "contractor assessment" by the EV Project and expect to have their EV chargers up and running in mid May. So we should see the first actual public chargers in San Diego county in about a month.
Great. I can see the headlines now: "Drunken EV driver arrested. Was seen screaming "EVP Finally came though!! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" and then he reportedly passed out waving the charger cord like a giant %#$*@ at passing women."

(or at least that's how it went in my head) :lol:

I will definitely hit Stone Brewery up on day 1 for lunch. And if there's press there, I'll look the camera in the eye and say "I could have eaten anywhere today for lunch, but Stone Brewery is stepping up with a charging station for my EV, so they get my business." Maybe other business will take notice.
JimmyD
http://www.jjhamilton.com/solar
Blue SL Leaf delivered 1/7/2011
EVP participant. EVSE: Blink
6.75kW PV solar

davewill

Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:00 pm

Jimmydreams wrote:Great. I can see the headlines now: "Drunken EV driver arrested. Was seen screaming "EVP Finally came though!! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" and then he reportedly passed out waving the charger cord like a giant %#$*@ at passing women."
At least with the J1772 spec, there's no danger of a Zoolander filling station type disaster scene...
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

thankyouOB
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442

Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:40 pm

ENIAC wrote:
thankyouOB wrote:
KeiJidosha wrote:Everything referenced is from the EV Project website. If you compare their map with their promise, it does not support their own statements. And I have also visited the few sites shown in southern California. They are legacy sites that have nothing to do with the EV Project. And if you look at the Initial area proposals you will notice they are substantially the same. And some of the info is from EV proposals from the 1990s (note the EV-1 and early Chrysler EV examples). OK to get the contract back in 2009, but I would expect actual site selection 20 months later, 3 months prior to scheduled completion.

The question stands. What is the EV Project plan for Public Charging? Where is the map?
call them up. ask them.
do some work.
BS, the EV Project it's a public works project with a website. They should do some work. Get the public infrastructure built and get the website updated. That is what the DoE is paying them to do, period. And by the way, the contact doesn't stipulate if there is even a single LEAF on the road. They have been contracted to build it. Also, Ecotality shouldn't have to deal with a bunch of calls for us. But I've actually done some leg work. I was at a supposed EV Project (at least according to their map) location this weekend, the San Diego Safari Park, and there was no EVSE as their map showed.

So, let me throw it back to you. What information are you going on that there are presently more than two public chargers which Ecotality have installed in the last 18 months?
In three, certainly six months, you have a news story. It is getting close.

ENIAC
Delivery Date: 13 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 224

Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:52 pm

thankyouOB wrote:
ENIAC wrote:BS, the EV Project it's a public works project with a website. They should do some work. Get the public infrastructure built and get the website updated. That is what the DoE is paying them to do, period. And by the way, the contact doesn't stipulate if there is even a single LEAF on the road. They have been contracted to build it. Also, Ecotality shouldn't have to deal with a bunch of calls for us. But I've actually done some leg work. I was at a supposed EV Project (at least according to their map) location this weekend, the San Diego Safari Park, and there was no EVSE as their map showed.

So, let me throw it back to you. What information are you going on that there are presently more than two public chargers which Ecotality have installed in the last 18 months?
In three, certainly six months, you have a news story. It is getting close.
What a crock of crap. And you have the audacity to proclaim on this forum that others are stating opinion as fact. Okay, here ya go, in three maybe six months the DoE will issue a "stop work" to Ecotality for the EV Project. It's getting close.
Myths And Facts About Electric Cars

"The ice doesn't care"
-- WetEV

cdub
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:08 pm

Got a call today for an install in a week. Finally. :)
La Crescenta, CA
Nissan LEAF™ ETEC trim, Cayenne Red
Reserved: 4/20
Ordered: 10/16 (Sept. order)
Delivered: 6/2 (4-22er)

VIN: 2106

sdbonez
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:12 pm

If I cared (can't believe I'm ever going to really use public charging, personally), I'd go straight to the DoE and skip the media altogether.

I did that with a Toyota safety issue...one small youtube'd video and a complaint to the NHTSA forced a recall in short order.
EV Prj: prereg 4/19 11:21a, appvd 7/22 11:34a, on-site eval 8/27 1pm, installed 3/30
Leaf: Red eTec resvd 4/20 2:33p, order open 8/31 11:30a, confirmed 9/3 2:00p, Carwings 3/9
Dash@Delivery 4/8, 7-day on 3/23, Delivered 03/30, Carwings: 'Bonez' VIN#728

KeiJidosha
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2011

Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:13 pm

thankyouOB wrote:In three, certainly six months, you have a news story. It is getting close.
What does that mean? ECOtality gets 3-6 more months before they are in default on the contract? And what is getting close? A GAO audit?

Where is the map of EV Project's public charging sites? What does the public get for $235 million dollars?

Return to “Blink”