Blink Mailer/Poster

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmydreams

I received a huge envelope from Blink in the mail today.

It was a 13"X18" envelope containing a Blink 'poster' (limited edition, number 58 of 150), a small blink sticker, and a note on heavy card-stock paper that basically says "Thanks."

I'm guessing the graphics/printing/stock for this mailing was easily $20 or more, not to mention the $5.95 in postage to mail the envelope.

Really? Unless I'm missing something, this is a HUGE and utter waste of time and money. Especially for a group who's primary residential unit is having so many problems....

Note to Blink: Less money and time on posters, buttons and stickers, and more on tech support and engineers.

(sadly, I think this is mostly because there's gov't money behind a lot of this.)

/rantoff

We got ours too, number 110 by the way, and we had pretty much the same exact reaction.

I mean even Priority Mail and Delivery Confirmation? Really?

My significant other even went out of her way to post her thoughts on their Facebook page :eek:
Got our Blink EVSE installed recently, and just received a poster in the mail. I'm kinda scratching my head over it. I think most of us early adopters are concerned about efficiency and maximizing resources. We don't just need to "rethink" how we "refuel", we need to rethink how we use all our resources, and strive for the most effective and efficient use of them. So a huge cardboard mailer, containing a heavy stock marketing poster, with a letter printed on heavy paper stock doesn't really appeal to me - I actually find it wasteful. I don't get it, I don't understand the point. You might want to rethink your customer relations and marketing tactics.

apk5g8.jpg

This feeds my concern that Blink is more interested in wasting our tax dollars on everything BUT installing EV chargers. Completed charger installations is where the rubber meets the road and their attitude towards doing this is becoming very suspect. At what point are they in default on their Gov contract and we the people can stop payment to them? How many chargers have they actually installed so far???

Spies said:
We got ours too, number 110 by the way, and we had pretty much the same exact reaction.

I mean even Priority Mail and Delivery Confirmation? Really?

My significant other even went out of her way to post her thoughts on their Facebook page :eek:
Got our Blink EVSE installed recently, and just received a poster in the mail. I'm kinda scratching my head over it. I think most of us early adopters are concerned about efficiency and maximizing resources. We don't just need to "rethink" how we "refuel", we need to rethink how we use all our resources, and strive for the most effective and efficient use of them. So a huge cardboard mailer, containing a heavy stock marketing poster, with a letter printed on heavy paper stock doesn't really appeal to me - I actually find it wasteful. I don't get it, I don't understand the point. You might want to rethink your customer relations and marketing tactics.

I didn't know they had a Facebook page. Here's my post on their wall:

"I just received my BLINK poster and thank you letter. I'm wondering about the cost of this package and the $5.95 it cost to mail such a huge envelope. Perhaps Blink underestimates the mindset of the people using their product and feels that this is a valuable mailing. I would disagree. This seems like a waste of time, resources, and money. I might consider putting the sticker on my car, but that should cost about...what? $0.10 if they are bought en masse? Note to Blink: the early adopters of EV technology think and act 'green'. This mailing is anything but. "Rethink" about it....you can do better."

TRONZ said:
How many chargers have they actually installed so far???

Mine was installed on Wednesday. That day they had two teams in North County San Diego each installing two a day. The electrician (who is from Orange County) told me they have 160 scheduled to be installed in April.

TRONZ said:
This feeds my concern that Blink is more interested in wasting our tax dollars on everything BUT installing EV chargers.
Well, private businesses do what tey do - spend some $ on marketing. Doesn't matter whether govt funds are involved or not. Nissan sent quite a few of these as well.

An email to everyone noting the current problems and upcoming fixes would be more valuable now ...

This is one of the most stupid things I have ever seen. A limited edition piece of cardboard, are they that impressed with themselves that someone thinks a customer will appreciate a piece of cardboard when they can't even get a refund check out? A waste of paper, time, money and think of the cost to print these, great green solution like putting charge stations at BP, brilliant. What about putting that money into hiring a competent programmer for the EVSE? This reminds me of the marketing folks at Aptera.

EVDRIVER said:
This is one of the most stupid things I have ever seen. A limited edition piece of cardboard, are they that impressed with themselves that someone thinks a customer will appreciate a piece of cardboard when they can't even get a refund check out? A waste of paper, time, money and think of the cost to print these, great green solution like putting charge stations at BP, brilliant. What about putting that money into hiring a competent programmer for the EVSE? This reminds me of the marketing folks at Aptera.

Thanks for the laugh! I hadn't thought about that.... :lol:

jcesare said:
Mine was installed on Wednesday. That day they had two teams in North County San Diego each installing two a day. The electrician (who is from Orange County) told me they have 160 scheduled to be installed in April.

2 teams x 2 installs /team /day x 30 days in April = 120 possible installs.

Me thinks they need another team!

LakeLeaf said:
jcesare said:

160 was for the whole company. They have more than two teams. They also are doing OC installs.

evnow said:
Well, private businesses do what tey do - spend some $ on marketing. Doesn't matter whether govt funds are involved or not. Nissan sent quite a few of these as well ...

Maybe I misunderstood but this appears to be a mailer to people who are or will be given free chargers under a government contract that Americans are paying for. This is not the usual private business/customer relationship by any stretch of the imagination. Ex; why "market" to your captive customer who is not really a customer anyways? Marketing is to drum up new business to attract money you don't have yet. I would like to think that this Marketing material is from Blink company funds and not paid for from our taxpayers money that should be for charger installations. It would be great to know how these frills are being paid for and what it is supposed to accomplish.

jcesare said:
They also are doing OC installs.

:arrow: Under the Eco/Blink contract :?: :?: :?: I must be living under a rock or something. When did they add Orange County to the EV Project?

LakeLeaf said:
jcesare said:

IIRC, wasn't EVP supposed to have something like 1600 charging stations installed in San Diego County by May? And right now, their count is.....(drum roll please).........ZERO!
:evil:

Being behind the power curve seems to be a theme with the EVP.

Jimmydreams said:
LakeLeaf said:
jcesare said:

IIRC, wasn't EVP supposed to have something like 1600 charging stations installed in San Diego County by May? And right now, their count is.....(drum roll please).........ZERO!
:evil:

Being behind the power curve seems to be a theme with the EVP.
Last October Ecotality spouted the following lies with respect to the San Diego market:
  • 1,450 Public L2 Evses in San Diego to be installed between "November 2010 through June 2011"!
    1,000+ Private participant chargers
    60 DC L3s.

To all those Ecotality employees reading this, the infidels are getting pissed! I purchased my vehicle with the notion that I'm a participant in this project and would like you to live up to your end of the bargain. I'm pretty fed up with your company, and don't even think about mailing a piece of this propaganda!

On this note does anyone have an DOE contact? I would like to send a letter. Maybe we can start campaigning for the DOE to lean on Ecotality?

Now they send a mail offering to let you opt out. At least they are reading what we write here.

We've been listening...

Occasionally, all of us here at Blink would like to send you promotional materials to show our appreciation and excitement for your participation in The EV Project.

Recently we sent a poster and certificate to our first wave of EV Project participants. The posters, certificates, and envelopes were all made from recyclable materials and soy based inks.

A lot of positive feedback came through regarding our first wave of mailers, but we also heard from a few of you with concerns on how we are utilizing resources.

We heard what you had to say, and we listened. Then we got together and decided to rethink the way we use our resources.

As a result, we have become more dedicated to using eco-friendly materials and resources internally as well as externally (like when printing, packaging, and mailing marketing materials to you).

And although we still want to show our appreciation to you, we don’t want to offend you either.

If you would like to opt out of receiving physical promotional materials, please complete this Promotional Opt Out form. We will make sure you don’t receive any more promotional materials in the mail.

Thanks, and keep the feedback coming!

evnow said:
Now they send a mail offering to let you opt out. At least they are reading what we write here.

And/or what people wrote them directly about the mailers.

When I click on the opt-out link I get taken to a google docs landing page that says I need permission to access
the item, with a button to request access...not a particularly smooth presentation.

wsbca said:
evnow said:

And/or what people wrote them directly about the mailers.

When I click on the opt-out link I get taken to a google docs landing page that says I need permission to access
the item, with a button to request access...not a particularly smooth presentation.

More brilliant marketing execution like the limited edition signed piece of cardboard:)

I highly encourage everyone to contact the D.O.E fraud / waste / abuse department about Ecotality, they are failing to follow through on their mission and are wasting tons of money that needs to be going towards public charging stations! Their program is more then half way over and we have very little to show for it, once the program expires the DOE probably can't do anything....

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/webpolicies/fraud_reporting.html

-Matt

Back