Page 3 of 5

Re: New Firmware Pushed : L2R.1.4A

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:42 am
by garygid
After the Main-Charging is complete, and the presumed "equalization" is being done, does the car still request "charging" (EVSE power relay closed), but the car is drawing little or no current from the EVSE?

What are the 3 "charging" lights on the LEAF doing during these "equalization" periods?

Is the Done-Charging message sent when the Main-Charging is complete?

Is there another message sent near the end of each "equalization" period (a bit less than an hour) when the "charging" resumes for a few minutes?

I an not getting any Email messages yet, so maybe there is a setting in the car that I have to do?
Yes, I have re-done the Owners-Carwings settings (off, save, logoff, logon, on, save, logoff) several times.

Re: New Firmware Pushed : L2R.1.4A

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:25 am
by oregonLEAF
From the Blink system log viewer after the 4A update:

Apr 7 16:47:00 evse2 user.err MiniKitBrowser: [MINIKIT] Could not open ad loop file (/var/spool/ads/default/adloop.csv).

I don't know if this is new but it looks like they're setting up the groundwork for a little ad based revenue... I'm getting used to the new nightlight in the garage but can't say I'm too excited about an electronic billboard. Hopefully it's discreet.

Re: New Firmware Pushed : L2R.1.4A

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:38 am
by davewill
oregonLEAF wrote:From the Blink system log viewer after the 4A update:

Apr 7 16:47:00 evse2 user.err MiniKitBrowser: [MINIKIT] Could not open ad loop file (/var/spool/ads/default/adloop.csv).

I don't know if this is new but it looks like they're setting up the groundwork for a little ad based revenue... I'm getting used to the new nightlight in the garage but can't say I'm too excited about an electronic billboard. Hopefully it's discreet.
You're not the first to notice that. Likely it's intended for the commercial installations, not the home units.

Re: New Firmware Pushed : L2R.1.4A

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:02 am
by oregonLEAF
davewill wrote: You're not the first to notice that. Likely it's intended for the commercial installations, not the home units.
Ah, sorry about that. I searched for adloop but didn't find anything. Thanks - that's reassuring. Probably too soon to start looking for a jailbreak for the Blink. :)

Re: New Firmware Pushed : L2R.1.4A

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:07 am
by klapauzius
Had the new firmware (i.e. 4A), power cycled, plugged the car in (timer on the leaf set to charge to 80% by 7:00 am), yesterday, 42% charged, checked this morning:
Still 42%, leaf says it is not plugged in (despite saying so in the evening).
The Blink tells me that the "charging has been delayed by the utility company"....This must be some late April fools day joke!

After trying to initiate a manual charge in the morning, the whole miserable device just crashed...

Re: New Firmware Pushed : L2R.1.4A

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:33 pm
by scm6079
oregonLEAF wrote:From the Blink system log viewer after the 4A update:

Apr 7 16:47:00 evse2 user.err MiniKitBrowser: [MINIKIT] Could not open ad loop file (/var/spool/ads/default/adloop.csv).

I don't know if this is new but it looks like they're setting up the groundwork for a little ad based revenue... I'm getting used to the new nightlight in the garage but can't say I'm too excited about an electronic billboard. Hopefully it's discreet.
As davewill mentioned - this is indeed a message from the shared sub-system for the Level 2 commercial unit ad loops, and is not a method designed for the residential units.

Re: New Firmware Pushed : L2R.1.4A

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:37 pm
by DarkStar
scm6079 wrote:As davewill mentioned - this is indeed a message from the shared sub-system for the Level 2 commercial unit ad loops, and is not a method designed for the residential units.
Hey Scott, welcome to the forums!

It's great to have some people involved with the Blink here. I received an email from Shawn stating that there were issues with the Blink Network right now that could be affecting a lot of our connectivity issues... Could you throw a post in here when things are looking back to normal? Thanks!

Re: New Firmware Pushed : L2R.1.4A

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:55 pm
by wsbca
Gonewild wrote:now when charging starts it still says not charging? Not sure how much progress they made in the fix?

Same here - we're at L2R.1.4A as of yesterday, and when plugged in, it settled on Not Charging.

Our timer kicked on at 9pm. Blink still says Not Charging. No stats being collected. Charge to 80% completed fine from the car's point of view. So it's worse, because at least when it spuriously said "Charging", it did record the actual charge embedded in the plugged-in timespan.

I've been reluctant to pile on with criticism since we're actually able to get our car charged, but this is getting ridiculous.

How long before the community of interested parties becomes big enough to contain the skills and enthusiasm to reverse engineer the system and write a new open source app for the whole thing? Obviously not an option while people are in the EV project study even if it existed, but after that...is it realistic to expect something like that to happen?

Re: New Firmware Pushed : L2R.1.4A

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:00 pm
by DarkStar
wsbca wrote:How long before the community of interested parties becomes big enough to contain the skills and enthusiasm to reverse engineer the system and write a new open source app for the whole thing? Obviously not an option while people are in the EV project study even if it existed, but after that...is it realistic to expect something like that to happen?
It shouldn't be too long. ECOtality will need to start releasing some source code for the GPL software they're using on the Blink before all the open source folks start harassing them... :D

Re: New Firmware Pushed : L2R.1.4A

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:04 pm
by syntaxerror
wsbca wrote:How long before the community of interested parties becomes big enough to contain the skills and enthusiasm to reverse engineer the system and write a new open source app for the whole thing?
If you get my drift, I have a feeling its not too far off :-). The best thing is that the birdy told me that Ecotality engineers are so dense that the unit doesn't even need to be opened to be upgraded to a underground working firmware!