cyellen
Delivery Date: 24 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0613

Wireless connection

Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:01 am

Is anyone else having issues with the wireless connection? I cannot seem to get my Blink to stay connected to (or even "see") my home wireless network. The router is located in the bedroom almost directly above the garage and I have really good signal strength in the garage itself. I did manage to get it connected once, but it needed a firmware update (actually two of them) and after the first one it rebooted and now I cannot get it connected again.

Ecotality says I may have to resort to a wired connection - which I'd really like to avoid for obvious reasons.

Any tricks? I thought about getting a wireless repeater that I could install in the garage itself or somewhere closer to the Blink, but I am not really sure that is the problem.
Glacier White SL-EV delivered 3/23/2011 in Phoenix, AZ
VIN: 000613
EVProject Participant: Blink installed 3/21/2011

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Re: Wireless connection

Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:17 am

Can you plug it in just for the update? Then maybe it will connect on its own?
I would try that before I spent money on a repeter
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

wsbca
Delivery Date: 0- 0-2011

Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:52 am

smkettner wrote:Can you plug it in just for the update? Then maybe it will connect on its own?
I would try that before I spent money on a repeter
That's a good idea.

Our Blink is working fine over wireless. We did have a problem at install time with an obscure default firewall setting on our Belkin g router, not something I had set up. The Blink was able to obtain an IP address, but could not get further than that. Its connection attempts were logged in the router, which given the default setting interpreted them as a DoS "attack", which was how we eventually discovered the problem. After toggling the router setting (which again I was not aware existed to begin with), it connected fine and has been working since (about 250kWh of charging), aside from a couple of apparent reboots (based on the uptime being reset), from which it seems to recover on its own. We have firmware version L2R.1.2A, which was put in place by our installer before they brought the unit out. As noted it polls for new firmware every 15 minutes.
Last edited by wsbca on Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
I was promised a jet pack!

Jimmydreams
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0175

Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:22 am

My Blink gave me lots of fits when I had a special character in my wireless SSID name. I took out the "&" character and went to straight alphanumerics and stability increased.

I haven't had any "failed to charge" incidents, but I WAS seeing the screen in 'calibrate' mode a lot and saw a lot of lost wifi symbols (black wifi symbol in lower right corner) even after I removed the "&" character from my SSID. SO, as a test to see if these problems are wifi related (and I'm assuming they ARE), I hardwired my Blink this morning. It's now up and running on the LAN, so we'll see if I see any more of those random 'calibrate' screens.

I was able to run 50' of CAT5e cable plus associated jacks, etc., for just under $50. For me, it is worth the time and effort if I can help Blink put out a better product. I shouldn't HAVE to do this, but I think the Blink unit is head and shoulders above the Clipper Creek unit and I want to see this type of EVSE become the standard, not something that is brushed aside because it was too buggy.

I'll report back here as time goes on regarding the stability of my unit on the LAN. I can already say that the intranet connection data runs MUCH faster. I'm guessing the Blink designers took an 'off-the-shelf' wifi setup and threw it in, not fully understanding all the intricacies that go along with it. (shrug)

JimmyD
http://www.jjhamilton.com/solar
Blue SL Leaf delivered 1/7/2011
EVP participant. EVSE: Blink
6.75kW PV solar

davewill

Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:26 am

cyellen wrote:Is anyone else having issues with the wireless connection? I cannot seem to get my Blink to stay connected to (or even "see") my home wireless network. The router is located in the bedroom almost directly above the garage and I have really good signal strength in the garage itself.
If the antenna on your router is vertical, being directly under or over it can be a problem. Doubly so if the Blink's antenna is configured the same. You might try rotating the one on your router more horizontal as a test.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

Fabio

Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:13 am

I installed a wireless extender to the garage, and then connected the blink to the extender via a wired connection. It's been working fine since, save one crash during the violent rainstorm 2 weeks ago.
cyellen wrote:Is anyone else having issues with the wireless connection? I cannot seem to get my Blink to stay connected to (or even "see") my home wireless network. The router is located in the bedroom almost directly above the garage and I have really good signal strength in the garage itself. I did manage to get it connected once, but it needed a firmware update (actually two of them) and after the first one it rebooted and now I cannot get it connected again.

Ecotality says I may have to resort to a wired connection - which I'd really like to avoid for obvious reasons.

Any tricks? I thought about getting a wireless repeater that I could install in the garage itself or somewhere closer to the Blink, but I am not really sure that is the problem.
LEAF: Red SL+QC | Apr 20 | Sep 2| VIN 424 | got it on March 12, 2011

DeaneG
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 594

Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:13 pm

I used a couple of ethernet-over-powerline modules to get mine "hard wired" enough to update its firmware. After I did, I noticed that the Blink could see my wireless (it failed to before). Haven't tried reconfiguring to use the wireless yet.

Might go to an E4200 (new) router soon, it's supposed to have twice the 2.4GHz range of the Valet I'm using now.
White SL w/L3, 3kWDC Solar PV

Jimmydreams
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0175

Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:09 pm

Update:

Hardwired my Blink this morning. I didn't see a 'lost internet connection' all day, so I was hopeful everything was A-OK. Blink charging timer set for 11pm-7am 7 days a week.

I plugged my Leaf in just before 9 tonight and the unit automatically started charging. (even though the screen said "next charge will occur at 11pm")

>:(
JimmyD
http://www.jjhamilton.com/solar
Blue SL Leaf delivered 1/7/2011
EVP participant. EVSE: Blink
6.75kW PV solar

sdbonez
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:04 pm

At least your on Level2. My Blink is still dark and my Leaf won't be charged fully on Level 1 by morning. I just hope it's enough.

Good news is..I'm leaving the A/C off in attempt to avoid the other issue so I'll have a bit more range :lol:
EV Prj: prereg 4/19 11:21a, appvd 7/22 11:34a, on-site eval 8/27 1pm, installed 3/30
Leaf: Red eTec resvd 4/20 2:33p, order open 8/31 11:30a, confirmed 9/3 2:00p, Carwings 3/9
Dash@Delivery 4/8, 7-day on 3/23, Delivered 03/30, Carwings: 'Bonez' VIN#728

ENIAC
Delivery Date: 13 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 224

Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:07 pm

I have a Linksys wireless router I purchased a few years ago and it has two external dipoles. It's located in the office and we use our notebooks in the family room, which is about 60 feet and three walls away. I kept loosing signal and the throughput was horrible. My solution was to construct a couple 9 dBi gain parabolic reflectors to slip over the dipoles. After doing this my signal strength in the family room jumped to 90%! The Blink is 70 feet from the wireless router and is behind four walls. The signal strength at that location is presently 80%. It takes about 20 minutes to construct these parabolic reflectors. You just need some cardboard, aluminum foil, glue (spray glue is best), a printer to print the template and a pair of scissors. Here's a website with the template and directions. The beauty of this solution is that I didn't need to purchase and configure a range extender, your WiFi signal is focused where you need it, it's passive so there's nothing to fail, and it's cheap.
Myths And Facts About Electric Cars

"The ice doesn't care"
-- WetEV

Return to “Blink”