Blink Will Not Complete Boot Cycle

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kovalb

"Welcome to Blink... Please stand by..."

We had a major dust storm in Phoenix the day before last with very high winds and power that went out for about an hour. The next day I noticed my LEAF was charging, when it should have completed charge hours before. The cause was the clock on the Blink showed an incorrect time and date. I tried to reset it but it would not hold the settings. My next step was to re-boot it. Unfortunately I am now on about my fourth attempt to do so. My current attempt is after leaving it unplugged overnight. It's been sitting on the boot screen for at least an hour now.

I had made a back-up SD-card for just such an occasion, however it is having the identical problem. After performing the screen calibration. The display shows the stylized, black and white "Welcome to Blink... Please stand by..." boot screen. It never progresses past that point.

My next step is to disconnect the blue wire harness and turn my Blink into a dumb charger :cry: I really do not want to resort to that. I am trading my 13MY for a new 14MY on Monday and was planning to use the Blink's timer to regulate the max charge level (14MY and newer do not have the 80% charge feature).

Does anyone have any advice? I heard there may have been some progress writing new software for the Blink EVSE. I would be very happy to try it if someone could direct me. I have been very happy with the Blink and do not wish to lobotomize it - although I did disconnect it from the network a while ago, after the two year commitment was up and ECOtality failed.

Update: I went ahead and lobotomized my Blink :cry: I'm afraid that since the SD-card seems OK there may have been some kind of hardware or software failure on the board. At least the physical charging functions remain.

Thank you

If you're handy with electronics, I would also recommend checking the voltages coming from the power supply. The connector on the right side of the power supply is labeled and there are some pots on-board as well to make adjustments. I would recommend making sure they read pretty close to 12 volts and 5 volts.

DarkStar said:
If you're handy with electronics, I would also recommend checking the voltages coming from the power supply. The connector on the right side of the power supply is labeled and there are some pots on-board as well to make adjustments. I would recommend making sure they read pretty close to 12 volts and 5 volts.
I could try that. Could low voltage prevent completion of the boot cycle? Do you know whether the power supply is only for the computer board? The EVSE is functioning without it and I do not want to mess it up.

Thanks for your recommendation.

kovalb said:
Could low voltage prevent completion of the boot cycle? Do you know whether the power supply is only for the computer board? The EVSE is functioning without it and I do not want to mess it up.
Yes, low voltage could cause it not to boot properly - a little too high shouldn't cause any problems though. It wouldn't hurt to measure the voltage though...

Does anyone happen to have any photos of the Blink's DC power supply? I was able to use the photos on the forum to disconnect the computer board. Having photos showing where the power supply and its adjustments are would be very helpful.

Back