Parting out a 2015 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precise1

Hey all, new to the forum, but a proud owner of a different 2015 Leaf that I like a lot.

I currently work for an EV focused company, and one of my jobs is to strip crashed Leaves.
Admin, please understand that I am not breaking rules, anything sold is a private sale. I will look into an official login for the company, but that is not what is going on here. The company only advertises major components like battery packs, motors, drive trains, etc. What I offer for sale is things that the company has no interest in removing/storing/advertising. To quote my boss "Take anything you want and sell it if you can".
This is about recycling parts and helping the community as much as making a few bucks for myself.

I have a long history on another forum, NPORA, under the same name, so if you question my integrity, see what people there think.
I have parted out several other vehicles there, and the way I like to handle things is that you tell me what you need, I remove it, photograph it, we agree on a price, I ship it to you, you make sure that it is what you wanted, and then you pay me.
Seriously.
Occasionally I get ripped off, but most people think I am fair and honest and respect that system, so it's not much of an issue.

OK, so here is the deal... 2015 Leaf, "S" model I think (sorry, don't know them that well) with the nav console, white with black interior, tinted windows... Serious damage to the passenger front and center punched in the rear... sorry, a lot of vehicles don't have right and left matching parts.
Steering is a no go, calipers seem fine, AC and radiator is intact, any fuses/relays/sensors on the drivers side, probably the entire interior is up for grabs... what do you need? (alloy rims are probably mine)

Please get back to me ASAP, it is on the lift until Friday (maybe next week Monday?)
I'll try to post a picture in another post so I don't screw up all this typing.

B

(located in NorCal 95403, pick up OK)

OK, that works for now.
Like I said, let me know what part you need. This isn't the first Leaf, and it won't be the last by a long shot.

B

Picture isn't working for me. It could be ad-blockers at work but I don't think so....

PS, you should check out the 'everything you need to know about buying a Leaf' thread by LeftieBiker to get up to speed on the various configurations of the different models over the years. S trim level didn't come with NAV screen or alloy wheels so this car must be an SV or SL.

Odd, I see a thumbnail that enlarges if you click on it. Let's try a direct link...
https://i.postimg.cc/hPcB2928/20210209-160917-1.jpg

And thank you for the reading recommendation, I will definitely check it out. I've only had a Leaf for less than 3 months and didn't pay attention to them before, so I certainly don't know the trim levels/options/years.
It is kind of funny though, I'm a pretty handy mechanic who is no stranger to modding vehicles (and a journeyman machinist to boot)... I just pulled the radiators/etc, motor and gear box out of that Leaf today, but I don't know much about them. *shrug*

I'll throw this out there as well, if anyone wants to know how things go together/come apart, want pictures for a how-to thread, that sort of thing, let me know. I strip these things down pretty far and it's always easier to figure things out on a junker than your DD.

B

That link worked for me. Thanks. Edit to add: the original picture is showing up now too. I'm not sure what changed.

I'm sure someone will appreciate how-to's although these cars tend to not need a lot of repair. That said, as they get older I'm sure more will have failing parts that require replacement so having a source of used parts and guides on how to replace them can only be a good thing.

OK, good, at least I know that it worked.

And agreed, they don't seem to need a lot of work, and I have the feeling that this is mostly a "dealership" crowd anyway. Still, steering wheels get worn, window switches fail, interior panels break, seats tear, etc and when people see what a dealership would want for these items (plus installation), they might seek alternatives.

I am a little surprised that no one wanted anything, but no matter, I have everything from the water pump to the nav console to the rear view mirror squirreled away. As for write ups, I'll just keep taking pictures... someone is going to want to know how to change a side view mirror eventually. :shrug:

Anyway, this car might be gone before I go back to work on Monday, or leave that day. I'll check back then for last minute requests... and other than that, I'll start another thread when the next fallen Leaf arrives and we'll go from there.
Cheers!

I think it is *awesome* that you offer this service. Thanks !

As for why there is little interest, that is probably a couple things:
1. These cars are not old
2. They rack up few miles (mine has 35k after 7 years)
3. They are not driven hard
4. Few modders
5. As you say, not that many DIY types (although they do exist)

In addition to the mechanical parts, I hope you keep a couple of inverters, motors, and a variety of ECUs. Certainly keep the on-board chargers.

SageBrush said:
I think it is *awesome* that you offer this service. Thanks !

As for why there is little interest, that is probably a couple things:
1. These cars are not old
2. They rack up few miles (mine has 35k after 7 years)
3. They are not driven hard
4. Few modders
5. As you say, not that many DIY types (although they do exist)

In addition to the mechanical parts, I hope you keep a couple of inverters, motors, and a variety of ECUs. Certainly keep the on-board chargers.

You are welcome. My boss hates throwing away perfectly good parts as well, but we can't store everything indefinitely either. Some of this might wind up in my shed at home...

Anyway, good points made, but I disagree with #3. I have great fun beating ricers off the line and slinging it around corners, but it hardly ever sees freeway miles. It's my work commuter and I average 4.5 miles/kWhr while the wife admits she drives it like a race car.
2015 w/48k miles on it and I average less than 100 miles a week, so I do expect it to last for a long time... even longer if I can pick up a "cheap" higher capacity battery pack in a few years.

As for mechanical parts, again, I work for an EV company that deals with everything from go-kart kits/motorcycle/sailboat conversions to Leaf and sometimes Tesla parts. We regularly sell the Leaf battery packs (whole or cells), motors, inverters, CVs, etc... that's what I remove first and the boss keeps. They are for sale, just not through me. Visit Thunderstruck Motors for that stuff, I won't be advertising it here as this is a personal account.

We have a hell of a lot of A123 LiFePO4 batteries out of Smith trucks as well (26650s). ;)

kmcmahan said:
Hello I am looking for the battery communication plug that goes to the battery. I am looking for both a 2015 or newer and 2011-2013 plugs. Thanks Kevin McMahan

Sorry, I just saw this. There are two plugs that go into the battery (3?), but I'm not sure which is the "communication" plug. I'll go through the wiring harness pile tomorrow and take some pictures, you can clarify what you are after then. I'm assuming that you want a pigtail, or do you need the entire length? (not sure what is on the other end)

I'll try to post tomorrow.

kmcmahan said:
I am trying to put together a device that is able to test leaf battery packs with the pack out of the car. The plugs that I am looking for have a large number of small wires. These plugs twist and pull off. Thanks Kevin

Ok, got it, no need to post the picture I took. ;)

I'm going to say that we have to have some, because I have removed several myself. And yes, we have one set up with a OBD2 port that we plug an ELM bluetooth sender unit into and read the pack with Leaf Spy. You also need a 12v battery to power it, but yeah...
I could probably help with the pin outs if you don't already know it. I'm sure the boss doesn't mind, he's all about supporting the EV community.

Let me locate one on Monday, take a picture, post it and we will go from there. I'm guessing the length doesn't matter to you as long as it is enough to splice wires to or port directly into whatever reader you plan to use.

How many do you need? And if you don't mind me asking, do you have a lot of Leaf battery packs laying around, and what do you do with them?

So, folks... after checking my PMs and some consideration, I have a suggestion or two to help with my organization:

I will continue to post when I get a "new" car to strip, and please feel free to ask away about parts from it.

If you are just looking for a part in general, please PM me with "PW: (whatever it/they is/are)" in the title bar. I might get back to you for clarification, and I will look to see if it is in inventory or put it in my "Parts Wanted" list at work. No item is too big... I will ship you a door if you want, no item is too small... I'll ship you a relay or a fuse if that is what you need. I can't promise how soon I run across it, but I won't forget either.

Currently in inventory are doors, rims, headlights, tail lights, driver switch consoles, mirrors, bumpers, radiators, water pumps, grills, gas pedals, master cylinders (the entire brake thingie), rear view mirrors and much more.
Need a piece of interior trim, a glove box, steering wheel, headrest, etc, just ask. All that has to happen is that you pay me enough to cover the time it takes to get out of the car. (disclaimer: some things are really hard and time consuming)

Thanks, and be well!

Thanks. I will be looking for the photo. I just bought my second Leaf this week. It has some damaged and missing parts. I will put a list together. It is a 2017 S. It came without the set of owners manuals so that is something I will be looking for.

Do you still have the car? If not can you post the next leaf you are stripping? I need the black interior, maybe the TCU module as well.

hello,

I need the inner tie rod do you still have it? it is the driver side I need. let me know if you have it? Thanks

Back