FS: Lease Take over 2012 Nissan Leaf SL

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedak

Lease Take Over

2012 Nissan Leaf SL - All Options - Quick Charger Option and 110v Included

8003 miles currently on vehicle - 16 mo & 16,000 miles remaining on lease

Lease is $194 a month

Looking for $1000 and you pay the transfer fee.

I'm located in Pittsburgh, PA.

I have all the paperwork required to transfer the lease.

Thanks for Looking.

9179175322_ae515f3034_c.jpg

9182249707_e4981da9a3_c.jpg

9179176736_b96e034fb1_c.jpg

9184504180_2099313bbb_c.jpg

9179178338_06d5c24309_c.jpg

I did a lease transfer recently. It is a very slow process - can take over one month.

More importantly, you will be still on the contract and on hook if the new person doesn't pay the lease (or end of lease fees).

evnow said:
I did a lease transfer recently. It is a very slow process - can take over one month.

More importantly, you will be still on the contract and on hook if the new person doesn't pay the lease (or end of lease fees).

Interesting

thedak said:
Interesting

So, carefully pick who you want to transfer to - preferably someone who you already know. Someone with a high credit score might also be fine (since non-payment will hit their credit score).

Why on earth do you remain on the lease if the person taking over has to pass a credit check? Given that many people give up leases due to financial problems, this seems doubly cruel. I just found out that the retirement statement upon which I based my decision to lease (because I couldn't retire yet) was wrong, and I can indeed retire. So I was considering giving up the lease next Spring and retiring then. Even if I find someone trustworthy, what are the odds of getting half my down payment back, if I do?

LeftieBiker said:
Why on earth do you remain on the lease if the person taking over has to pass a credit check? Given that many people give up leases due to financial problems, this seems doubly cruel. I just found out that the retirement statement upon which I based my decision to lease (because I couldn't retire yet) was wrong, and I can indeed retire. So I was considering giving up the lease next Spring and retiring then. Even if I find someone trustworthy, what are the odds of getting half my down payment back, if I do?
it has to do with the way Nissan credit structured their lease agreements, they are somewhat unique with their terms and the terms hinder the ability to transfer the leases

LeftieBiker said:
Why on earth do you remain on the lease if the person taking over has to pass a credit check? Given that many people give up leases due to financial problems, this seems doubly cruel.
It's NMAC's crappy policy. I've posted about this at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=292127#p292127" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and other spots before.

As for the Nissan rep at Alt Car Expo where I touched a nerve. He wouldn't budge and said something along the lines of "we signed a contract w/you. Why should we change it over to some other guy?"

Me: "Well, you're going to run a credit check on the other guy and whatever else to evaluate him, just like you did me. Since you're doing that, why can't you take me off?"

He just wouldn't budge. IIRC, part of his argument was that it wasn't in their core business.

I would've had a lot less hesitation in leasing a Leaf if it weren't for this crap policy. Nissan and NMAC could've made some pretty good money off of me given the lease prices were pretty high on the '11 Leafs (and early in the '12 phase?).

IMHO, everyone who is affected by this should contact NMAC to complain and make sure they log a complaint about this. Maybe they'll eventually change their mind.

When I called to start the lease transfer process, the CSR actively discouraged me from doing the lease transfer because I'd still be responsible.

One reason they might want to retain the original buyer is because the lease rate was based on that buyer's credit rating. But they should be able to transfer the lease to someone with the same or better credit rating.

Anyway, the whole transfer process was painful & slow. I'd not consider it again.

I think the real reason NMAC discourages lease transfers (by making the original lessee as responsible as if they still had the car) is simple: it takes away from new car sales. They would much rather that you get your own lease, and thus get a new car, than taking over someone else's and getting no sale in the process.

^^^
Hmm... that's a good hypothesis. Unfortunately, it ends up driving some people away from leasing or buying a Leaf or other Nissan product, including me due to my situation. My situation will change next Tuesday, when I start working again. (And, the commute will be well within the Leaf's range, even if I'm a speed demon on the highway.)

thedak said:
Looks like I am limited to close friends, close family or people that wanna send me a copy of thier credit report..... :D
and you still would have little guarantee of their willingness or ability to fulfill their obligations

At that price and only 16 months left it would be better for someone to just prepay the balance of $3200.

It is super cheap....

thedak said:
Goodtohave said:
At that price and only 16 months left it would be better for someone to just prepay the balance of $3200.

It is super cheap....

What I was going to suggest.

I do not know how all this lease stuff works. Is it possible just to buy this car outright. What would it cost? I am in the market for one.

Back