Rev2-Upgraded Nissan EVSE for sale, 120/240v, 16 amps SOLD

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fooljoe

I've got two of these, and this was my rarely-used extra unit for charging on the go. I just got a Rav4-EV, and need to replace it with something more powerful. $750/obo. Includes case.

fooljoe said:
I've got two of these, and this was my rarely-used extra unit for charging on the go. I just got a Rav4-EV, and need to replace it with something more powerful. $750/obo. Includes case.
I'm curious why you need to replace it with something more powerful? The upgraded EVSE doesn't charge the RAV4 as quickly? Obviously, you have a larger battery pack now, but I'm just wondering how much longer it takes to charge it with the upgraded EVSE.

The EVSE upgrade (for the gen 1 'big brick') does not work with the RAV4 EV or any other Tesla.

The new 'thin' EVSE that comes with the '13 leafs works with it though.

SuperBlack said:
fooljoe said:
I'm curious why you need to replace it with something more powerful? The upgraded EVSE doesn't charge the RAV4 as quickly? Obviously, you have a larger battery pack now, but I'm just wondering how much longer it takes to charge it with the upgraded EVSE.

The 2011-2012 Nissan/Panasonic EVSE does not work with Tesla products (Rav4 uses Tesla drive train and charging circuit).

The reason it doesnt work is because it does not send a negative 12 volt square wave, per J1772. The LEAF doesn't look for this signal, nor does this signal provide any information for J1772 (all the signals are on the positive voltage square wave, both in in positive voltages of 12, 9, 6, and 3 volts, and Pulse Wave Modulation for amperage available).

The 2013 Nissan/Panasonic EVSE does work, and can be upgraded up to 20-ish amps. The Tesla chargers pull up to 40 amps.

The Toyota/Panasonic EVSE is only able to handle 12 amps (supplied with Rav4 EV and Prius Plug-In, and possibly Mitsubishi iMiev).

My modified Toyota unit of 240v/12amps is for sale, as I am using both the 2013 LEAF EVSE and the Tesla Model S EVSE at the full 40 amps.

At home, I use a Clipper Creek CS-40 modified to 40 amps continuous.

TonyWilliams said:
My modified Toyota unit of 240v/12amps is for sale[/b][/url], as I am using both the 2013 LEAF EVSE and the Tesla Model S EVSE at the full 40 amps.

At home, I use a Clipper Creek CS-40 modified to 40 amps continuous.

What J1772 plug ends are you using for these? You didn't have 40amps going through the blink plug end when it melted did you?

Back