For Sale: Panasonic EVSE from Prius/Rav4 EV 120/240v 12amp

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyWilliams

Used exactly once. The very same Panasonic EVSE used in both the Prius Plug-in and Rav4 EV, however this one is modified by EVSEupgrade.com to handle both 120 volts and 240 volts at 12 amps.

The unit looks very similar to the Panasonic unit used in the 2013 LEAF.

$700 outright.

I will trade this modified 12 amp / 240 volt unit straight across for a stock, unmodified 2013 LEAF EVSE.

You save hundreds of dollars modifying yours.

bad50f5a4961c83f230a918ce2f5237c.jpg

May I ask why you are interested in the 2013 Leaf "Trickle" EVSE over previous years?

MikeD said:
May I ask why you are interested in the 2013 Leaf "Trickle" EVSE over previous years?

I've had two of the 2011-2012 Panasonic / Nissan units, both modified to 16 amps. They are not compatible with "real" J1772 standard, since they apparently do not put out a negative 12 volt waveform on the 1kHz signal.

I would like to see if the 2013 Panasonic / Nissan unit does do that (and would therefore work on my Rav4). The unit that I'm selling is also Panasonic, but different than either Nissan supplied unit. It is current limited to 12 amps, but already modified to 240 volt service.

TonyWilliams said:
I've had two of the 2011-2012 Panasonic / Nissan units, both modified to 16 amps. They are not compatible with "real" J1772 standard, since they apparently do not put out a negative 12 volt waveform on the 1kHz signal.
Ah ha! That being the case, it would explain why the Nissan unit will not work with the Tesla model S J1772 adapter.

The word I received from EVSEUPGRADE was that the Tesla adapter was not compliant.

Sorry for the OT post. :oops:

ebill3 said:
TonyWilliams said:
Ah ha! That being the case, it would explain why the Nissan unit will not work with the Tesla model S J1772 adapter.

The word I received from EVSEUPGRADE was that the Tesla adapter was not compliant.

Sorry for the OT post. :oops:

The Tesla and RAV4EV are the ONLY vehicles that do not work on the 2011/2012 Nissan cords. There are reports of other EVSE units not working with the Tesla adapter.

EVDRIVER said:
The Tesla and RAV4EV are the ONLY vehicles that do not work on the 2011/2012 Nissan cords. There are reports of other EVSE units not working with the Tesla adapter.
Could you provide a reference? I've not heard of people having problems with the Tesla J1772 adapter, other than the early unit was a tight fit physically.

I am in San Diego and have a MiEV.
Let me know if this will work for you.
I think Mitsu and Toyota uses the same EVSE.
Let me know.

Price drop to $475 or trade straight across for unmodified 2013 LEAF EVSE.

240v/12a service modified by http://www.EVSEupgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had heard about some sort of "allowed charge cycles timer" in some RAV4EV units.
Does this unit have some sort of internal countdown timer that only lets it be used a specific number of times?

TEG said:
I had heard about some sort of "allowed charge cycles timer" in some RAV4EV units.
Does this unit have some sort of internal countdown timer that only lets it be used a specific number of times?

Phil says that it does, however, I have no idea how many cycles would be allowed and what would be needed to hack this.

TonyWilliams said:
Price drop to $475 or trade straight across for unmodified 2013 LEAF EVSE.

240v/12a service modified by http://www.EVSEupgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tony, I'm told that the 2013 stock Leaf EVSE will charge at 240V with a plug adapter or a cord change, no internal modification needed. Any idea if this is true?

ebill3 said:
EVDRIVER said:
Could you provide a reference? I've not heard of people having problems with the Tesla J1772 adapter, other than the early unit was a tight fit physically.
It would be interesting to compare the TESLA J1772 that was delivered with cars the first 6 months or so with the one they just started delivering. maybe the problem has been solved

AlexG said:
Tony, I'm told that the 2013 stock Leaf EVSE will charge at 240V with a plug adapter or a cord change, no internal modification needed. Any idea if this is true?

I have no idea. I do have a 2013 LEAF / Panasonic unit that EVSEupgrade.com modified for 20 amp duty, but I don't know if it could already take 250 volts.

Frankly, it would make sense since so many folks have filed warranty claims when they pumped 240 volts into an UNMODIFIED 2011-2012 LEAF / Panasonic EVSE. This simple change would eliminate the warranty claims.

TonyWilliams said:
AlexG said:

I have no idea. I do have a 2013 LEAF / Panasonic unit that EVSEupgrade.com modified for 20 amp duty, but I don't know if it could already take 250 volts.

Frankly, it would make sense since so many folks have filed warranty claims when they pumped 240 volts into an UNMODIFIED 2011-2012 LEAF / Panasonic EVSE. This simple change would eliminate the warranty claims.

You'd think they would make one and have different plugs for different markets, like all phone and laptop manufacturers do. I bought the $10 conversion plans on Ebay, and on the 4th page, it states 2013 EVSE only needs an adapter if you're ok with 12 amps at 240V. It has a photo of the EVSE hooked up to a meter running nice and cool on 245 VAC supplying about 11.6 to 11.8 amps. Doing the $300 conversion will give you the 6.8Kw charge, if you bought the upgrade, which I did not, so the 3Kw charge rate is fine for me.

TonyWilliams: You wrote "so many folks have filed warranty claims when they pumped 240 volts into an UNMODIFIED 2011-2012 LEAF / Panasonic EVSE". Can you fill in some details? Are they wiring NEMA 5-15r or 5-20r receptacles for 240v for anticipated use with that EVSE even though it clearly documents it is 120v? They couldn't be changing the plug to a 240v variety, as it would no longer be covered by the warranty.

AlexG said:
TonyWilliams said:

I'm interested to know if this is true or not. The oem adapter doesn't say 120-240, just 120 input voltage. Personally I'd be happy with 240v 12amp to help with those long trip days (like today).

Guys, I don't know. If somebody wants to gamble their 2013 LEAF EVSE, bring it over to my house and I'll hack off the NEMA 5-15 and replace it with an L6-20P, and we can test to all you want.

I can crank it up to about 280 volts, too.

AlexG said:
Doing the $300 conversion will give you the 6.8Kw charge, if you bought the upgrade, which I did not, so the 3Kw charge rate is fine for me.
Note that is 4.8KW draw (240 volts at 20 amps) and isn't the the charge rate, which will be somewhere in the ballpark of 500 watts less.

Back