Portable OpenEVSE for sale is sold

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennD

You can see full photos in the OpenEVSE thread.
newdisplay.jpg

I have a portable OpenEVSE for sale. I used it at work until I built a wall moumted Open EVSE.

This unit has a UL 120V rated cable and connector. The cable is rated for 300V I have a Megger and I have tested the insulation beyond 500VAC.

The Nisson stock EVSE is rated for 300VAC. If you modify it for 240V it is seeing around 340Vac peak. 240 X 1.41 RMS for peak voltage.

In modern insulation if the insulation passes 300VAC then it will likely pass 400AC or better. The UL approved 240V cables use 600VAC cables This is extereme overkill. Phil's mod to the stock unit and my portable units use a 300V cable.

THe portable unit has a 240V plug and a supplied adapter for 120V use. It autoswitches between L1 at 12A and L2 at 16A. It has a yellow display with an Adafruit i2c backpack. It also has a barburi sense board for L1 detection ans stuck relay detection.

I am selling this for $350 plus $15 for shipping. This is sold asis but a gurantee operation upon receipt. Pavment is by Paypal or a Postal Money order. It may also be picked up at my house in Anaheim near Disneyland.

Why would you build a wall mounted unit when you can just screw that to the wall?

GlennD said:
The Nisson stock EVSE is rated for 300VAC. If you modify it for 240V it is seeing around 340Vac peak. 240 X 1.41 RMS for peak voltage.

In modern insulation if the insulation passes 300VAC then it will likely pass 400AC or better. The UL approved 240V cables use 600VAC cables This is extereme overkill. Phil's mod to the stock unit and my portable units use a 300V cable.
This is erroneous information! The 300V cable rating is indeed an AC rating for working voltage, (as you point out) not DC. The 300VAC rating means the cable can operate at up to 300VAC RMS, obviously with much higher Peak-to-Peak. (~400v would be PtP @ 300VAC)

There are 3 parameters typically encompassing dielectric voltage ratings for wire and cable:

Breakdown Voltage (DBV): The voltage that caused dielectric breakdown (high-voltage leakage) when under test.

Withstand Voltage (DWV): The maximum voltage that the insulation will withstand while in it's intended application. This is usually 3/4 of the DBV to establish a safety factor.

Working Voltage (WV): This is the RMS voltage that is used to determine the intended use. This is typically 1/3 of the DWV. This is so conservative in order to establish a safety factor that accounts for surges, transients, and pulses. The stipulation is that these cannot exceed DWV.

A cable with a 300VAC Working Voltage will have a 900 DWV, and a 1200 DBV.

So your megger tests must not show a breakdown until over 1200V in order to qualify your cable for 300V, which in the US is sufficient for 240VAC.

I'd suggest you get your facts straight before attempting to educate your perspective customers, as it doesn't instill much confidence!

-Phil

I always assumed the voltage marked was peak voltage not RMS voltage. Thanks for the information.

So this is a 120V/240V 16Amp L1/L2 charger correct?

Also +1 on the question about what the plug is on the AC end.

Thanks

The unit has a plug that is the same as that my first EVSE, the Leviton unit used. I think it is a P6-20R. It is a 20A 240V non twist lock. While a twist lock plug is more secure I wanted the unit to plug into my existing outlet.

The unit has a universal 100-240V input 12V switching supply and a L1, L2, stuck relay sense board so it works on both voltages. At work I use the 208V available from a 3 phase wye connection with good results.

I have had several inquiries so the unit is likely sold

Back