WIll my leaf show charging rate? 2020 SV Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it's the first screen, 2nd bullet down, the one that tells you how long it takes you to get to 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%. If you DC charge, it'll tell you what the charging speed is.

Triggerhappy007 said:
Yes, it's the first screen, 2nd bullet down, the one that tells you how long it takes you to get to 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%. If you DC charge, it'll tell you what the charging speed is.

Thank you

ejm4 said:
Newbie question:

Is there a screen setting inside of the car that will tell me at what rate the car is being charged?

On DC, yes. On AC; No. There is a screen that will show you bloated estimated times to charge "if" charging at various rates but actually showing you the rate of charge "to the battery" ? Only LEAF Spy will do that.

DaveinOlyWA said:
ejm4 said:
Newbie question:

Is there a screen setting inside of the car that will tell me at what rate the car is being charged?

On DC, yes. On AC; No. There is a screen that will show you bloated estimated times to charge "if" charging at various rates but actually showing you the rate of charge "to the battery" ? Only LEAF Spy will do that.

Thank you - I have only did one DC charge and it was 6.6, and I wasn't sure if that was accurate as I noticed you could select the different charge speeds and change the estimate values.

ejm4 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
ejm4 said:
Newbie question:

Thank you - I have only did one DC charge and it was 6.6, and I wasn't sure if that was accurate as I noticed you could select the different charge speeds and change the estimate values.

6.6 sounds like the AC setting?

DaveinOlyWA said:
ejm4 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

6.6 sounds like the AC setting?

I was connected to Charge Point terminal via a J1772 connector. I have yet to try a DC fast charger yet.

ejm4 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
ejm4 said:
Newbie question:

6.6 is not the DC charge rate, it's AC, and it's just used to estimate the time to charge. Once you connect to a DC charger, the 6.6 will change to a higher number than that.

Triggerhappy007 said:
ejm4 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

6.6 is not the DC charge rate, it's AC, and it's just used to estimate the time to charge. Once you connect to a DC charger, the 6.6 will change to a higher number than that.

My wife and I visited a local Electrify America charging station last night to try out the whole process. While there I as able to see how fast the car was charging compared to the other day when I was just connected to AC.

The car was at 25% and we were able to charge at 48KWh until we hit the 75% mark and then it throttle back to 37KWh. We left around the 77% state of charge as I wasn't waiting and did not need a 100% charge.

Thanks again for the help - Earl

Triggerhappy007 said:
ejm4 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

My wife and I visited a local Electrify America charging station last night to try out the whole process. While there I as able to see how fast the car was charging compared to the other day when I was just connected to AC.

The car was at 25% and we were able to charge at 48KWh until we hit the 75% mark and then it throttle back to 37KWh. We left around the 77% state of charge as I wasn't waiting and did not need a 100% charge.

Thanks again for the help - Earl

Energy Rate, or Power, is Watts (joules per second) or kW for 1000 of them.

Battery Capacity (also electricity usage as billed by your power company) is how much power you can use for a certain amount of time - that is, kiloWatt-hours (kWh). If you could "floor it" with a 120kW motor for 30 seconds, you will have used 1kWh of battery energy/capacity, give or take. You might reach software limited speed by then but just using it as an example to get round numbers.

Your charging rate is power, not total energy, so it is in kW, not kWh. The onboard AC charger is 6.6kW if you find a J1772 station capable of outputting that or higher. Some stations are 5kW. The actual "charger" converting AC current to DC and sending it to the battery, is inside the car. The fixed "charging station" hardware is just a 220 volt AC conveyance that provides a certain level of power (5kW or 6.6kw or more since there are other EV's that can handle more AC power).

A Chademo DC Level 3 charging station (your local Nissan dealer perhaps) puts out about 380V and 50A of power, if your battery charge level is not very high - the amperage (and power) sent to the car decreases as the battery fills back up, as you saw.

A Chademo DC Level 3 charging station (your local Nissan dealer perhaps) puts out about 380V and 50A of power, if your battery charge level is not very high - the amperage (and power) sent to the car decreases as the battery fills back up, as you saw.

50 amps is one of the lower power DC outputs. 100A is now fairly common, and 150A and higher are showing up. Also, while I have no problem with calling DCFC Level 3, some do object.

Back