2021 model year news or predictions.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webeleafowners

Good morning all. Almost October and I see various 2021 model year vehicles being flogged at the dealerships. Has anyone heard anything about the 2021 Leaf changes or when they might start to hit the lots? Last year (at least here in BC) it was into the new year before anything showed up.

Cheers

John.

I'm not expecting any significant changes, Nissan/Renault are changing to an all new EV platform, so sooner rather than later the LEAF brand will die or morph into another vehicle built on that new platform.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1128291_renault-nissan-mitsubishi-alliance-doubles-down-on-tech-sharing

DougWantsALeaf said:
how about a liquid cooled 80?
Dream on. I wouldn't expect any liquid cooled battery for this generation of Leaf. A bit more capacity (ala 10% increase on 2020 Bolt)? Maybe, but still seems unlikely...

cwerdna said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
how about a liquid cooled 80?
Dream on. I wouldn't expect any liquid cooled battery for this generation of Leaf. A bit more capacity (ala 10% increase on 2020 Bolt)? Maybe, but still seems unlikely...

Since the Ariya is coming any big changes would undercut the Ariya wouldn't it?

webeleafowners said:
GaleHawkins said:
https://cleantechnica.com/2020/09...with-nissan-chief-engineer-hikaru-nakajima/

They are not naming the new battery OEM yet but the max range battery may be 90 kWh and state the final specs are still subject to change.

It actually sounds pretty good. And the biggy, over the air updates is included. Will it just be for bug fixes or actually new cool things like Tesla.

Time will tell.

Maybe they will be like Tesla updates since the prices are more like Tesla pricing.

GaleHawkins said:
webeleafowners said:
GaleHawkins said:
https://cleantechnica.com/2020/09...with-nissan-chief-engineer-hikaru-nakajima/

They are not naming the new battery OEM yet but the max range battery may be 90 kWh and state the final specs are still subject to change.

It actually sounds pretty good. And the biggy, over the air updates is included. Will it just be for bug fixes or actually new cool things like Tesla.

Time will tell.

Maybe they will be like Tesla updates since the prices are more like Tesla pricing.

Could be. I’m a huge leaf fan and quite frankly our 4 year leaf experience was the best car ownership experience we have ever had. Our Tesla has big shoes to fill. But after four years it was still the same car we bought 4 years before. In 6 ish months of Tesla ownership our model 3 has changed so much. New features, improvements on others. The car changes every 2 or 3 weeks. Personally I think over the air updates will become an important selling point once people figure out what that means.

I like the look of the Ariya better than the model Y. If it features out like a model Y it would be a great alternative. Hopefully it has a towing capacity like the Y as well.

Jmho.

John.

webeleafowners said:
GaleHawkins said:
webeleafowners said:

Time will tell.

Could be. I’m a huge leaf fan and quite frankly our 4 year leaf experience was the best car ownership experience we have ever had. Our Tesla has big shoes to fill. But after four years it was still the same car we bought 4 years before. In 6 ish months of Tesla ownership our model 3 has changed so much. New features, improvements on others. The car changes every 2 or 3 weeks. Personally I think over the air updates will become an important selling point once people figure out what that means.

I like the look of the Ariya better than the model Y. If it features out like a model Y it would be a great alternative. Hopefully it has a towing capacity like the Y as well.

Jmho.

John.

John you make good points. I have been driving Nissan's since 1973 and have had the 2016 Leaf SL for a year and driven it 14K miles. The Leaf is awesome and with the new 150 mile range battery it is better than before. I was excited about the Ariya but currently I do not see it coming to the USA and that is due to my face to face dealing with Nissan over my battery replacement and learning the corporation was at risk of bankruptcy even pre Covid-19. The article below I found interesting.

https://electrek.co/2020/05/28/nissan-will-add-only-one-new-ev-in-the-us-through-2023/

"The company said that by 2023, it will launch eight pure EVs while expanding its hybrid technology dubbed e-Power. In speaker notes provided before yesterday’s presentation, Nissan said:

By the end of fiscal year 2023, we forecast electrified vehicles to account for 60% of our sales in Japan, 23% in China, and 50% in Europe, resulting in sales of more than 1 million units.

To be clear, the company is including hybrids in its forecast of “electrified” vehicles. And notably, Nissan did not specify the percentage of sales of battery-powered cars in the United States."

No numbers for USA market is interesting in my mind. Pre Covid-19 Nissan was planning a down sizing. Reports pre Covid-19 that 40% of USA dealers were running a negative cash flow with 10% of dealerships operating at breaking even.

I can see Nissan importing the Ariya to the USA vs setting up production in TN for the 13 EV friendly states.

Longer term (3-4 years) when Tesla' $25K car is on the market may impact the low end EV market. I wanted a Tesla when a year ago but I could not find a 3 year Telsa with under 22K miles with a new battery pack for under $14K. :)

Your info about over the air updates shows how Tesla keeps adding customer value after the sale.

GaleHawkins said:
webeleafowners said:
GaleHawkins said:

Jmho.

John.

John you make good points. I have been driving Nissan's since 1973 and have had the 2016 Leaf SL for a year and driven it 14K miles. The Leaf is awesome and with the new 150 mile range battery it is better than before. I was excited about the Ariya but currently I do not see it coming to the USA and that is due to my face to face dealing with Nissan over my battery replacement and learning the corporation was at risk of bankruptcy even pre Covid-19. The article below I found interesting.

https://electrek.co/2020/05/28/nissan-will-add-only-one-new-ev-in-the-us-through-2023/

"The company said that by 2023, it will launch eight pure EVs while expanding its hybrid technology dubbed e-Power. In speaker notes provided before yesterday’s presentation, Nissan said:

By the end of fiscal year 2023, we forecast electrified vehicles to account for 60% of our sales in Japan, 23% in China, and 50% in Europe, resulting in sales of more than 1 million units.

To be clear, the company is including hybrids in its forecast of “electrified” vehicles. And notably, Nissan did not specify the percentage of sales of battery-powered cars in the United States."

No numbers for USA market is interesting in my mind. Pre Covid-19 Nissan was planning a down sizing. Reports pre Covid-19 that 40% of USA dealers were running a negative cash flow with 10% of dealerships operating at breaking even.

I can see Nissan importing the Ariya to the USA vs setting up production in TN for the 13 EV friendly states.

Longer term (3-4 years) when Tesla' $25K car is on the market may impact the low end EV market. I wanted a Tesla when a year ago but I could not find a 3 year Telsa with under 22K miles with a new battery pack for under $14K. :)

Your info about over the air updates shows how Tesla keeps adding customer value after the sale.

Yah I hear you Gale. Few brief points.

- A Japanese made Arriya would not deter me from buying it...if it was the right car.
- the non thermal controlled leaf at the right price is still appealing to me if we were to go back to needing a second car. Eg, come out of retirement again. (Not likely). We live in Canada. No thermal issues here.
- in my opinion, the leaf is the right car in the wrong price point. I prefer it over all (non Tesla) EV’s. It is 23000 dollar hatchback. (US dollars or equivalent Canadian).

Again JMHO

Still no news on the 2021 Leaf?

I've seen multiple you Tube reviews claiming to be 2021 Leaf's, though they all appear to be European or Australian.
What is really odd is that one of them said he did not like the E-Brake being a foot brake, which is really odd, because my 2018 is not a foot brake for parking. So has the European version always been different or is that a change for 2021? If that's a change, that is a backward change! Everything else I saw in the videos looked identical to the 2020. And indeed, maybe they are reviewing the 2020! But they claim it is a 2021 Leaf.

If Nissan is indeed planning to shitcan the Leaf once the Ariya comes out, I wouldn't expect updates. But if they plan to continue it, even if not is the USA or North America, then it would get updated.

webeleafowners said:
- in my opinion, the leaf is the right car in the wrong price point. I prefer it over all (non Tesla) EV’s. It is 23000 dollar hatchback. (US dollars or equivalent Canadian).
I don't think Japanese car companies can successfully compete against the Chinese in the cheap EV western market. Robert Llewellyn previewed the MG-5 ('estate' AKA station wagon to US ears) today. It starts at 25 UKP in the UK, which amounts to ~ 25k USD in the US ... before federal tax credit.

Bjorn Nyland bought an MG EV in Thailand recently and seems pretty happy with it.

Back