How to pull a Leaf out of a ditch?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valente

I bought a Leaf Plus three weeks ago and love it, so far. I'm worried about next winter though. We live in a very rural area and it's common around here to slide into a ditch when roads are slick. There are no permanent tow hooks on either the front or rear of my Leaf. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to grab onto a Leaf to tow it out of a ditch?

Not sure about the Leaf plus but the older Leafs had a large threaded bolt with an eye hook that you'd screw into the bumper by removing a plastic plug. My '13 came with such a bolt but I believe I've read posts of people looking to purchase one, so maybe they don't come standard anymore?
Oh there is a plug on the front drivers bumper and hook under the rear passenger bumper.

Check the area with your flat-tire kit. Mine (2015) has a big eyebolt ("recovery hook") that screws into a receptacle under the front fascia. Check your Owners manual for "emergency".

Your comments have been very helpful. I have found the cover on the driver's side front where I think there is a threaded hole for inserting a tow hook. There's nothing about it in my owner's manual. I haven't been able to open the cover. It looks like it will break before it opens. Does anyone know the proper way to open it? Which side pulls out first/ Also, my Leaf didn't come with one of those screw-in hooks. Does anyone know where I can get one. I do intend to buy a set of studded snow tires for winter, but I need to be prepared for visiting the ditch.

With studded snows on all 4 wheels the ditch should be avoidable. Try Nokians, with or without studs. The hook may be in the compartment with the little air compressor, off the left rear of the cargo area, under a removable cover.

Thread talking about the threaded eye bolt.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26707&hilit=threaded+eye+hook

From my 2018 Leaf Manual:
4-4.3 Use of Vehicle Equipped Hooks for Recovery Operations
If the vehicle is stuck in sand, snow, mud, etc., use a tow strap or other device designed
specifically for vehicle recovery. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the recovery
device.
To avoid vehicle damage, serious personal injury or death when recovering a stuck
vehicle:
• Tow chains or cables must be attached only to main structural members of the
vehicle.
• Do not use the vehicle tie-downs to tow or free a stuck vehicle.
• Only use devices specifically designed for vehicle recovery and follow the
manufacturer’s instructions.
• Always pull the recovery device straight out from the front of the vehicle. Never pull
at an angle.
• Route recovery devices so they do not touch any part of the vehicle except the
attachment point.
Front Tie Down Hook:
• Do not use the front tie down hook for towing or
vehicle recovery.

flydiver said:
Do NOT, repeat DO NOT grab the bumper. It's plastic and held on by push pins and a few bolts. It will rip right off!

Visual demonstration (skip to 1:25):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTHnqB7w3cA

What is often called the "bumper" now is actually just the plastic "bumper cover," as I learned when I got rear-ended in my '86 Civic Si and had to replace the whole assembly. Insurance only paid for what was quoted as being needed, and I had to do the work myself to cover the cost of all the extra parts that were part of the bumper but weren't labeled as such. Gone are the days of discreet bumpers...

RonDawg said:
flydiver said:
Do NOT, repeat DO NOT grab the bumper. It's plastic and held on by push pins and a few bolts. It will rip right off!

Visual demonstration (skip to 1:25):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTHnqB7w3cA
That is more like the Volt is built. I installed a hitch on my 2016 Volt and had to "carefully" remove almost all of the stuff that was shown flying all over the place on that video. After removing the light assemblies, rear under-panel, and bumper skirt (or skin or whatever it's called), I could then get to the bumper beam and remove it. The hitch had vertical plates with drilled holes, allowing it to sandwich in between the frame and the beam. So that is at least a little bit strong.

The Leaf was much easier. Just had to get under the car, remove a panel, drill a hole or two in the frame, and then bolt the hitch to that.

The complexity rating on the Volt was 9/10, and the 2015 Leaf was 3/10 (on etrailer). I found those numbers to be highly accurate.

I would use the trailer hitch on my leaf to pull it from the back.
Also there is a ring bolted to the body at the rear I belive it was the passenger side, the rear diffuser may cover it. I cut mine up and it became part of my trailer hitch and the trailer hitch bolted to the car using those tow ring holes.

To pull from the front there is a little cover on the front bumper, remove that cover, go to the back of the car remove the tire jack cover in the hatch (I have a tire jack, you don't unless you put it there) and inside the emergency inflation kit tire jack cubby hole there is a tow hook.
Put the tow hook in the hole and you get the idea.

Back