Charging increased from 4.5 hours to 5.5 hours

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goran

Can anybody suggest why, for the first time today in 3 years, I saw an estimated charge time of 5 1/2 hours in level II? I arrived home with 2 bars left, which would usually be around 4 hours, maybe 4 and a half when really cold out. Temperature outside was 34 degrees F. Its a 2012 leaf, 46,000 miles, lost 3rd bar last summer.
Thanks in advance.

Colder temperatures can slow down charging rates a little but I would have thought your capacity loss would actually result in charging to maximum available capacity more quickly. You said estimated charging time - did you note the actual time to full charge?

It changed back to normal after I plugged it in, after maybe 10 minutes of charging. I guess it estimated I won't for some reason. I have never seen 5 hours in all these years,so it got me a little worried. It charged normally in about 3 1/2 hours.

The Leaf "estimated" charge time is a waste of time... Never rely on it.. Ever. Level II will charge at about 30 miles of range per hour. On a 24KWH, that is 30% charge per hour. SO... If you start charging at 20% battery charge, It will take only about 2.5 hours of charging to get 100% charge.

powersurge that is with a 6.6kw charger, OP has a 2012 so it is a 3.3kw i believe, hence the longer times. But your point is valid.

Did you charge anywhere unusual? Is it possible that you charged at a lower capacity EVSE and the LEAF was using the lower amperage to make it's estimate?

Back