Poll : Are you getting the DC Fast Charge (L3) option ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you getting the DC Fast Charge (L3) option ?

• EV Project (SL only)!

Votes: 32 24.1%
  • SV

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • SL - with L3 option

Votes: 75 56.4%
  • SL - no L3 option

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • Not Decided

Votes: 4 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

evnow

For non-EV Project buyers, DC Fast Charge (L3) Chademo port is a $700 option. This is available only if you get the SL version. Are you going to get it ?

This option can only be installed in the factory and can't be ordered later.

Check this thread for details.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1069

Important Note : EV Project buyers can only order SL-e with the free L3 port. They can't order SV.

Someone wanted to know if they were approved for the EV Project, and ordered an SV, would they still get the DC port? I couldn't remember if this has been finalized. I told them though that it was on the EV Project's website (FAQs) as being he would.

I'm saying yes to L3, but I'm still upset that the configuration website does not show L3 available for me to add. My preferred dealer says he will be sure it is available. The chat folks won't or can't commit that it will be available on my RAQ (which should come tomorrow since I'm an August orderer).

I don't think Nissan is hearing the argument that we in the outskirts (like Fresno) should get L3 option. L3 would let me get to San Jose with one charge stopover each way. No L3 will keep me limited to Fresno.

Hmmm ... so even though everyone is argueing whether $700 is worth it or not - they all decided it was worth it ? :lol:

mwalsh said:
Begrudgingly so for me. But I just can't see getting the car without it, if it's being offered.

SV+820+10% tax - 5,000 = 31,960
SL+700-5% discount+820+10% tax - 5000 = 31,870

Is there a standard for the L3 connection already in the US? What if I buy the L3 but then the connection becomes obsolete? I hope this is not like HD-DVD and Blu-Ray again. I bought the wrong format for that one. :(

trentr said:
Is there a standard for the L3 connection already in the US? What if I buy the L3 but then the connection becomes obsolete? I hope this is not like HD-DVD and Blu-Ray again. I bought the wrong format for that one. :(

I don't think anyone can tell you for sure. You may have to roll the dice again. Another reason to lease perhaps?

Important Update : Even for EV Project buyers, you need SL to get the L3 port. I just confirmed this using chat - after I saw a couple of people reporting this.

Feel free to change your vote. I've updated the options to note this (hopefully the votes won't disappear).

Code:
Monday, August 30, 2010 4:29:12 PM (8/30/2010 9:29:12 PM - GMT)

Welcome to EV Customer Support, James will be right with you.

James:
Thank you for contacting Nissan Electric Vehicle Customer Support, my name is James. How may I help you today ?

EVNow:
Hi.
My question is about the L3 charge port

James:
Hello EVNow.

EVNow:
I believe it is available only with the SL

James:
We appreciate your interest in the Nissan LEAF . I would be happy to help you with that EVNow.

EVNow:
Is that right ?

James:
That is correct EVNow.

EVNow:
What about EV Project people ?
Will we get the L3 even if I buy SV ?

James:
No EVNow, the Level 3 port is only available as an option on the SL trim level.

EVNow:
Even for EV Project ?

James:
Yes.

EVNow:
I take this as confirmed - and inform the members of our Leaf forum.

James:
Before we end our conversation, I want to ensure your needs have been met. Do you have any additional questions about what we discussed today?

EVNow:
nothing. thx.

You be yer keester we want the L3 option . . . in fact, any option . . . we always get . . . unless it's something stupid like a $1,200 16 speaker Mark so&so sterio option.

Amen to the "begrudging part" - I managed to convince my wife it was not THAT strange to have to pay for the home charger (she kept bringing up all these logical arguments about every battery-operated device we have coming with a charger), but now to have to pay for the car-side of L3 is just starting to feel like "creeping pricing"...

Well, it does come with a charger (L1) included in the price. Just not a good (L2) charger. (actually EVSE for both those sentences, I know)
And since the L3 really is optional, having it priced extra would be reasonable if they hadn't given the impression that it would be included in the beginning.

KeiJidosha said:
An EV without L3 is like a cheeseburger with no cheese.
Just as leaving the cheese off is a healthier sandwich, frequent L3 charging shortens the eventual battery life.
Having a healthier battery at the end of six or eight years may improve resale value.
If no L3 then the buyer knows for sure how much L3 charging was done, zero.
Of course it has to be the right buyer that will not need L3.

If you need it, you need it. But I am not just going to buy L3 for possible resale value. JMHO.

evnow said:
mwalsh said:
Begrudgingly so for me. But I just can't see getting the car without it, if it's being offered.

SV+820+10% tax - 5,000 = 31,960
SL+700-5% discount+820+10% tax - 5000 = 31,870

evnow.. can you clarify that math. What 5% discount are you referring to? And that $5000 discount?

-Peter

prberg said:
evnow.. can you clarify that math. What 5% discount are you referring to? And that $5000 discount?

-Peter

Oh - someone in CA is offering 5% discount over MSRP. $5K rebate is also for CA buyers ...

evnow said:
prberg said:

-Peter

Oh - someone in CA is offering 5% discount over MSRP. $5K rebate is also for CA buyers ...

You could also add in the federal credit (but I guess not everyone will get that depending on their tax situation). So they are only giving the 5% discount on the SL model? My dealer is discounting both models the same amount. So the difference is closer to $2000 if you add the L3 charger port. Nothing to sneeze at.. especially if I will use the car mostly in town. I mean how fast will these L3 chargers show up? And will there really be NO way to add L3 charging later on? (or will that add on later, cost more than the $2000 than it will now?) What about the fact that there is no standard? Do you think Nissan will change out the port for free if the US doesn't go with the TEPCO port?

Back