Nissan Leaf Gen1 - Performance Chip Tuning

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dala said:
Note that they taper off after getting to ~50km/h
Yes. That's the approximately constant-power region. It will be motor electrical power limited. Below that point, it's basically torque limited.

The little glitch is possibly a tweak that makes the take-off so smooth. My guess is that there is a lot of engineering in that little glitch, and increasing the power will require a lot of re-engineering to make the take-off as smooth as stock. There are all sorts of mechanical nasties (e.g. gear backlash, resonances) to be taken into account. Even just the fact that forward acceleration will cause your foot to come off the pedal a little (assuming it's not flat to the floor) can cause jerkiness.

The Model S dwarfs the Leaf in peak motor current (1300 amps) the result of a bigger battery and motor;

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/using-tm-spy-to-see-model-s-data.63051/#post-1381783

The graph clearly indicates the basic step function response battery resistance power loss at peak motor power demand.

Without a bigger battery, e.g. from Leaf+, increases in early Leaf motor power outputs are limited.

The amount of power that can be drawn from the Leaf batteries is determined by their C rate, and by the power moving rating of the inverters. I don't know those rates offhand, but I doubt that Nissan is right up against those limits now. You certainly aren't going to get Insane Mode levels of power, but there is likely room for a little more, especially when time limited like they are now. I think that a clue would be the test car that Nissan built using two Leaf motors instead of one. There was still just the one pack in that car...

Would it be possible to boost power output of the LEAF by placing a VFD between the controller and the motor?

Dala mentioned in a YouTube video that the firmware of the inverter limits power to 80kW, so I was wondering if a VFD could increase the frequency of the inverter output, to run the motor at a higher speed. Also, PWM VFDs can do regen, if I remember correctly, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Dala said:
It's coming soon ;) Here's a teaser
LOL, the Gen 1 Leaf was nice and quick already from what I remember. It would be quite surprising to feel an acceleration boost that you are not accustomed to when you've been driving for years at the standard rate. :lol:

Too funny!

"I've set the multiplier to 1.3 so that all torque messages get multiplied a bit ..."

Yeah, 30% increase is huge! Imagine a mod that takes your 300 hp Camry to 390 hp. Beast mode!!!

Pure fun!! I'll bet more fun than my new 2021 SV plus - especially off the line! I can say that because my 2012 felt more fun up to 40 mph than my new one :mrgreen:.
Keep going until something breaks - please!

Remember those days when you had a toy car that used batteries and one day you figured out how to squeeze more batteries or power into than usual and the fun you had when that toy car blazed off in speed like it was possessed. :lol:
That what it reminds me of. Good job on the video!

Marktm said:
Pure fun!! I'll bet more fun than my new 2021 SV plus - especially off the line! I can say that because my 2012 felt more fun up to 40 mph than my new one :mrgreen:.
Keep going until something breaks - please!
Yes, the 2011/2012 models were quicker and more consistent off the line. I am hoping Dala will eventually offer some upgrade programming for 2019 and later Leaf Plus models (after my warranty runs out, of course).

Maybe, but my understanding (not having watched the vid yet) is that the tuning doesn't involve any actual modification of the motor. If that isn't the case, I'll change the title.

Piro said:
I have finished a new software mod for Nissan Leaf Gen1 (24, 30kWh).
Feel like owning a new Nissan Leaf Gen2, with improved regen even in cold winter, till the full stop.

Ok, @Piro -- is it available? How is it installed? What about degraded battery performance?

Back