MNL vs. other Leaf social media

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another prob I've seen quite a bit on FB Leaf groups is people posting a problem like being "unable" to charge yet they post almost no info like the symptoms or anything useful to help us diagnose (e.g. beeps, lights on the car or their EVSE, what they've done to confirm it's not charging, whether they tried another EVSE, etc.)

And, in one case, when asked a bunch of questions, they respond but provide little or nothing in the way of useful answers.

cwerdna said:
Another prob I've seen quite a bit on FB Leaf groups is people posting a problem like being "unable" to charge yet they post almost no info like the symptoms or anything useful to help us diagnose (e.g. beeps, lights on the car or their EVSE, what they've done to confirm it's not charging, whether they tried another EVSE, etc.)

And, in one case, when asked a bunch of questions, they respond but provide little or nothing in the way of useful answers.

Clearly the era of EV geeks is passing quickly.

LeftieBiker said:

So begins the era of EV Idiots.

I see it more as a continuation of ICE idiots.

For years I have asked guys the size of their engines or speeds of automatic transmission only to get a blank stare.

The few posting here are not the norm. :)

With car ownership about to drop like a rock as the robo taxi technology moves to the real world many guys being born today will have no reason to ever own a car must less learn to drive one.

The era of EV non-geeks is maybe a better description- most people who see our 2019 Leaf have no idea that it is electric, which disappoints me but probably makes it more acceptable to the ones who should be driving them- every commuter and grocery shopper n the world. Of course, we need eventually to get to mass transit but from our location deep in the woods this is a ways off....

GaleHawkins said:
LeftieBiker said:

So begins the era of EV Idiots.

I see it more as a continuation of ICE idiots.

For years I have asked guys the size of their engines or speeds of automatic transmission only to get a blank stare.

The few posting here are not the norm. :)

With car ownership about to drop like a rock as the robo taxi technology moves to the real world many guys being born today will have no reason to ever own a car must less learn to drive one.

Not so sure we'll be riding Johnny Cab anytime soon. Not only is the last 1% of the problem fiendishly difficult, there will still be accidents. And who is liable when an algorithm is driving?

As usual w/the wrong answers/misinformation on FB groups, today was a frustrating one. Some guy posts on a Bolt group "I’m interested in buying Bolt. Question: how long does the fast charge take to fully charge ?"

Some random guy starts spewing all sorts of misinformation. Either someone deleted some of the replies or the moron blocked me. I and other folks chimed in to try to correct his nonsense. He made claims like 20 minutes. Uh, no, not a Bolt. No way!

He made bizarro claims like you could fully charge a Bolt at "110" volts" in 24 to 26 hours. Uh, no not from empty. The stock L1 120 volt EVSE is just 12 amps max --> 1.44 kW max from the wall. There's no way to pull ~60 kWh from the wall in 26 hours at 1.44 kW.

Besides some of his nonsense, he then says that I don't know what I'm talking about. Sigh...

I find it best if I ignore EV (and tech) discussions on FB. My urge to correct nonsense is strong, but the urge for morons to post more nonsense often seems stronger.

^^^
Indeed. For those who are in and can see this group and post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/nissan.leaf.owners.group/posts/6035971406473650, it is a total cluster#$%$%.

A guy with a Leaf claims "First time my Leaf has been charged 100kwh , pretty fast and cheap ". He's using an ABB charger that simply indicates 100 kW on the left side for CHAdeMO and 120 kW for CCS, as for what the charger can output. That version of ABB software for whatever reason does NOT display the actual charging rate. I've used EVgo ABB chargers which behave just like that.

In 1 minute, 11 seconds, 1.006 kWh were dispensed, as his pics show. At least someone did the math and gave him the right answer. A ton of people are questioning him (rightly so), some people do know what they're talking about and a bunch of others including the OP are all #$%#$% up with their units. OMG. What a mess when people don't know the difference between kW and kWh and are trying to talk about electricity.

I habe seen as high as 78kW on a 200 and change amp Chademo. I habe heard of 70, but never seen or heard of 80+ outside of the trials Nissan did themselves when they demonstrated 104 on the Plus.

I was hoping that Nissan itself might offer a liquid cooled cable 300amp charger at their headquarters or something, but no such luck.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I habe seen as high as 78kW on a 200 and change amp Chademo. I habe heard of 70, but never seen or heard of 80+ outside of the trials Nissan did themselves when they demonstrated 104 on the Plus.
For the record in the case of the clueless guy who either blocked me or deleted the post (or someone else did):

1 minute, 11 seconds = 0.01972 hours
1.006 kWh / 0.01972 hours = 51 kW

That was his charging rate. He posted some nonsensical replies along w/some others.

cwerdna said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
For the record in the case of the clueless guy who either blocked me or deleted the post (or someone else did):

1 minute, 11 seconds = 0.01972 hours
1.006 kWh / 0.01972 hours = 51 kW

That was his charging rate. He posted some nonsensical replies along w/some others.

His post was completely off the rails at the get go. Only after being grilled does he comment the pix was taken on his 2nd session and the first session averaged 1 kwh per 40 seconds. I question him thinking he got a good deal at the price he paid. Is charging really that expensive in Europe?

On the Bolt misinformation front, the fire and recall threads are way too chatty but on Bolt FB groups I'm seeing an annoying pattern of people misremembering things, pointing to Google and making statements that are made by others (e.g. actual battery experts making guesses) to GM or LG Chem. C'mon people. It's fine to point to educated guesses/speculation but don't attribute those to official statements from GM/LG or their reps.

If those people actually read what the Google results turned up, it would exactly confirm what I said.

In another, we have people who obviously haven't read the docs submitted by GM to NHTSA (e.g. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RMISC-21V560-8766.pdf, https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V560-6162.PDF, https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V650-2919.PDF) and want to blame the Bolt's charger for battery fires when GM and LG know there are actual battery defects that could lead to fires. :smh:

Well, crazy rumors start up every day. Just today, a lady was under the impression that Bolt fires were the result of 150-350 KW CCS stations. Didn't care to ask how she came up with that notion but no doubt, someone said it somewhere. :lol:

I am just curious why the Bolt fires catch souch more attention than the Tesla fires.

Another M3 burned its victims

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.autoblog.com/amp/2021/09/17/ntsb-investigating-latest-fatal-tesla-crash-and-battery-fire/

And another odd case

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/witness-video-shows-how-fiery-tesla-crash-in-coral-gables-happened-169500.html

And an X
https://www.google.com/amp/s/cbsaustin.com/amp/newsletter-daily/tesla-driver-crashes-into-tarrytown-gas-station-bursts-into-flames-thursday

All articles from just this week.

Back